Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Pacific Deluxe powder measure rebuild

Boolit Master

Pacific Deluxe powder measure rebuild

I acquired a blue Pacific Deluxe powder measure for my collection, but didn't get the instruction sheet with it. I am trying to dismantle it and clean up the measure piston bore, but don't know how to take the measuring piston out of the rotor. There is a screw on one side with a knurled knob on it which unscrews easily, but the piston still doesn't move. I took the two screws out of the handle and removed the handle, and it appears that there is another clamp screw under one of the handle screws. But I have not been able to remove that one yet. If anybody happens to have one of these powder measures with the instructions, or has removed the powder measure piston clamp screws and removed the piston from the rotor, maybe you can give me some help with this project? I would appreciate any help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably help if we had a picture of it.

If you're rebuilding it, take off any and all screws, they're bound to hold something you want to clean anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I acquired a blue Pacific Deluxe powder measure for my collection, but didn't get the instruction sheet with it. I am trying to dismantle it and clean up the measure piston bore, but don't know how to take the measuring piston out of the rotor. There is a screw on one side with a knurled knob on it which unscrews easily, but the piston still doesn't move. I took the two screws out of the handle and removed the handle, and it appears that there is another clamp screw under one of the handle screws. But I have not been able to remove that one yet. If anybody happens to have one of these powder measures with the instructions, or has removed the powder measure piston clamp screws and removed the piston from the rotor, maybe you can give me some help with this project? I would appreciate any help.
    Sounds like the Redding BR-3 that I just cleaned this week. The screw on the right side under the handle is a set screw that holds the assembly in. The knurled knob on the left has an un-threaded portion that goes through the assembly body and locks the center shaft once you get it adjusted to drop the charge you want.

I suspect the set screw on the right is hidden under the handle to slow down the Primitive Pete's out there from dissembling things they shouldn't.

If once you remove the set screw and the whole assembly doesn't come out of the rotor, then it's time for Kroil and a little time. And perhaps a little muscle after a little time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 15meter; 01-26-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have soaked the casting, screw holes, and measuring shaft (that I am trying to get out) with PB Blaster, but I still haven't been able to turn the screw out. Where can I purchase this "Kroil" material? Is it available at a auto parts store? And is it better than the PB Blaster I have been using? Or are there any other techniques to help getting this set screw out? I ground a screwdriver to just fit in the hole, and ground the blade to just fit in the screw slot.

Sometimes a little heat might help. Maybe a heat gun instead of flame?

I do not and have never owned a pacific. But it sounds like some one used a bit of thread locker. Heat it up and hope that is the case. Do not over heat! Maybe use a good hair dryer. Just one of those things you have to sneak up on. Gotta work fast. Next step is the heat gun as is mentioned.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master
    Is this the one???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pacific measure.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	309839

Kroil is good stuff, but won’t do anything that Blaster won’t do. I believe you can only get it online. Get yourself a Harbor Freight heat gun, under $10 and also works for drying brass,

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Is this the one???

I am not trying to hijack the thread and only have one suggestion and then a question. A suggestion that worked for me once was to apply enough heat to it that would melt a small birthday candle when applied to the screw. The heat will draw the wax into the hole and around the threads. Let it coll and give it a try.

Question:
    I have one as pictured. Does anybody have or know where to get those blankets blank screw on drop tubes?!

Thanks and good luck

Boolit Bub
    Here is the website for Hornady instructions. The Multi-Deluxe Powder measure I think is the old Pacific model carried over to the Hornady line. It is not a great scan, but it should point you in the right direction.

https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/

I started out with the Hornady version, but replaced it with the newer LNL version and can't remember how the meter went in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Is this the one???

Yes, this one. Thanks for posting a picture of it for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dswancutt View Post
    Here is the website for Hornady instructions. The Multi-Deluxe Powder measure I think is the old Pacific model carried over to the Hornady line. It is not a great scan, but it should point you in the right direction.

https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/

I started out with the Hornady version, but replaced it with the newer LNL version and can't remember how the meter went in.
    I have two of these older pre-LNL Hornady red versions along with the instruction manuals. Unfortunately they are of a different design that this blue older version Pacific Deluxe powder measure. On the "new" ones, the powder measure shaft slides out from the hole in the rotor as the measuring head is the same diameter as the measuring shaft. On the older blue Pacific Deluxe model the piston evidently unscrews from the smaller diameter measuring shaft and comes out through the top where the plastic powder tube is, and the measuring shaft slides out through a smaller diameter hole in the rotor to the bottom.

Boolit Master
    After soaking the setscrew in PB Blaster for several days, and grinding a special screwdriver for that screw, I finally got the setscrew out without any damage. And now all the pieces came apart easily. Now I see why Hornady redesigned this powder measure, measuring piston in the rotor. The hole for the measuring piston in this old Pacific Deluxe is drilled from top to bottom in two diameters. The larger diameter for the actual powder measure piston forces this to be inserted from the top through the plastic reservoir (or in my case with the reservoir removed from the casting), and the measuring screw is inserted from the bottom. By the way, does anybody happen to have a copy of the original set of instructions for this Pacific Deluxe powder that you might shoot a photo of and message it to me? Or maybe even a copied version mailed to me? I would appreciate it. Thanks everybody for all of your help and hints.