Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Accurate Mold

Accurate Mold

Have a mold in 32 caliber that I use for my Pardini 32 ACP. All is well as far as accuracy. [Perfect]. There seems to be a carbon build up in the vent grooves of the mold that will not dissolve . Tried liquor thinner acetone mineral spirits. I can get it out with my finger nail but it’s a bear. Any folks on here that would have any suggestions This mold works to well to mess it upClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1406DE75-FF51-46D7-A2B0-1F0458082E87.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	309710
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Buddy

A long soak in some Ed’s Red?

Boolit Buddy

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? I bought one a year or so ago and it was well worth the money.

I would also think brake cleaner would cut carbon.

Tom

No ultrasonic. Tried brake cleaner. It evaporates to quick. Guess I could put a lid on container. Take a lot to cover the halves. I haven’t used Hatchers mix since I was a kid. Think that’s close to Ed’s Red
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dave 45-90 View Post
    Have a mold in 32 caliber that I use for my Pardini 32 ACP. All is well as far as accuracy. [Perfect]. There seems to be a carbon build up in the vent grooves of the mold that will not dissolve . Tried liquor thinner acetone mineral spirits. I can get it out with my finger nail but it’s a bear. Any folks on here that would have any suggestions This mold works to well to mess it upClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1406DE75-FF51-46D7-A2B0-1F0458082E87.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	309710
    If the soaking and other ideas do not work. I have never used on a mold, but other firearms cleaning projects I take a couple of extra chop sticks from local eatery. The bamboo stick are tough enough to sharpen to different shapes to match the task. Work great for cleaning those nooks and crannys of carbon buildup and not scratching delicate parts. GW

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    If the soaking and other ideas do not work. I have never used on a mold, but other firearms cleaning projects I take a couple of extra chop sticks from local eatery. The bamboo stick are tough enough to sharpen to different shapes to match the task. Work great for cleaning those nooks and crannys of carbon buildup and not scratching delicate parts. GW
    That's a grand idea.

I've used a NEW razor blade to carefully remove lead from vent lines w/ success multiple times on some very expensive H&G multi gang molds. You need a MAGNIFIER AND A BUCKET FULL OF PATIENCE.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Grand Master
    Carb cleaner (berrymans b-12 to be exact) and maybe use a toothpick. Otherwise, try Ballistol. Heard its good for cleaning carbon.

Thanks for all the replies . I tried a popsicle stick sharpened. Works but what a job under a magnifier. There has got to be a quicker way. Actually the wood stick polishes the mold.Nooks and cranny’s are the issue. ��
    NRA Endowment

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by dave 45-90 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies . I tried a popsicle stick sharpened. Works but what a job under a magnifier. There has got to be a quicker way. Actually the wood stick polishes the mold.Nooks and cranny’s are the issue. ��
    The suggestion of a bamboo chopstick, sharpened as needed, seems to be a winner to me.

Iben casting and cleaning molds for a very long time, and that suggestion makes lots of sense.

Bamboo is lots tougher than a "popsicle stick."

Lots!
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Got plenty of that. Neighbor planted a bunch on property line and now it’s coming into my back hayfield. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this. Will try all the suggestions. The mold has been good to me. I like to treat her like a delicate flower��
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Master

Chop stick, sharpen in a pencil sharpener as needed.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Green bamboo might not be hard enough.

I’d try a fine pointed bamboo skewer. A pack of 200 is $1.75 or less on line, or you could split and sharpen one yourself starting from a real bamboo chopstick (not one of those cheap softwood chopsticks you get with your take out/delivery order).

And maybe a more persistent, penetrating type oil like Kroil might help, though you’d need to degrease the mold afterwards or risk burning more junk right back in again.

The only time butterfingers here put a sharpened steel edge on a mold was to scrape once with the edge laid way over on a steel sprue plate, and it still took forever to polish out the scratches I made. The blocks? Maybe if they were cast iron, but I definitely wouldn’t trust myself on aluminum.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-28-2023 at 05:48 AM.

Get a quart poly milk jug, cut out part of one side and fill with lacquer thinner ( has MEK, acetone and other solvents) drop in the mold to soak. Looks more like lube/lead crud burned onto the mold faces. Use the wood skewers to pick off. That stuff is really hard to get off. Echo AC oil is even worse!!
    Whatever!

Soaking and light use wood seems to be what you folks do. Was going to use a mason jar with tight lid.
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Grand Master
    Toothpicks used to be made of maple, I'm not sure if they still are or not. They were hard enough to clean vent lines, but not harm the aluminum blocks.

Robert