Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: MS molds from Russia

Boolit Mold

AS molds from Russia

Hello all. I stumbled across these the other day and was wondering if any one here had used one?
    I like the design where with one mold you have the option to buy various plugs to enable a lighter or heavier bullet or a solid bullet or expanding.
    I tried this question elsewhere and am not looking for long reasoning about buying the thing or where it comes from or the payment...just whether anyone has experience with this company or even this type of mold. Cheers all.
    Last edited by Carl in France; 01-26-2023 at 03:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Link or picture or reference to web site?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Will France still allow Russian imports these days?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    I'm guessing we're looking for as-molds.com - there are some interesting things there. Not sure I want to be ordering from Russia currently. Payment and shipping both seem risky to me.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by harm View Post
    I'm guessing we're looking for as-molds.com - there are some interesting things there. Not sure I want to be ordering from Russia currently. Payment and shipping both seem risky to me.
    Yes you are right...AS Molds. I am only interested in peoples experience with the mold, not the political / shipping / payment thoughts.

Boolit Mold
    My mistake, sorry, i originally asked about MS molds, i made a mistake it is A S Molds i am interested in. Just the Molds not anyones thoughts about politics shipping price etc.

Cześć

I'm no help, but I'm confused.
    is a link to the manufacturer of probably the best molds for casting shotgun bullets.
    Unfortunately from Russia.

https://www.svaroghunt.ru/?lang=en

I have no experience with any of them.

Pozdrawiam
    Piotr
    Last edited by PP-67; 01-26-2023 at 04:36 AM.
    I'm sorry my English is Google

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with this brand of molds. I went to the as-molds.com website and looked at their designs. It looks like there may be some issues with their product. It appears that the mold blocks form the driving band area of their bullets, while interchangeable inserts are used to create different bullet noses, and thus different weights and ojive contours. The problem that I see is that these interchangeable inserts appear to be aluminum. This aluminum insert is going to dissipate heat rapidly as it needs to be removed from the mold blocks in order to drop the newly formed bullet. The wooden handle in close proximity to the body of the insert makes it hard to preheat the insert without damaging the handle. Examine the photograph of their cast bullets and notice how there inclusions in the nose of every bullet from the mold being too cold? This is being caused by their insert design. Because it is advertising, these are no doubt photos of the best bullets that these molds can produce, and they're all defective. Also, it appears that all of their designs are plain based. There's no provision for a gas check on any of their molds. This may not be a negative, but is something to consider regarding their design. Overall, no matter how high the quality of the machining may be, the actual design is poor. You will likely have to fight these molds in order to produce any usable bullets, and I would predict that you will probably have a reject rate (toss back into the pot) of around 75% to 80%.

As a side note, even though the OP specifically asked not to discuss the purchase & shipping of these products, without any regard as to the current political climate, the money transfer and shipping options for these molds are astonishingly sketchy. It is amusing to see the requests for money transfers to be handled through Turkey as an intermediate country, and the remark that if your parcel isn't delivered, you - the purchaser, are responsible to search the world to try and find it without any assistance from them. It's almost a hilarious cluster of red flags.

Boolit Master

Beautiful looking molds. The boolits shown - not as much. My criticism is based on visual observation. The form of the boolits looks good. Prices are listed with a $ sign. If as the web site indicates is true; a mold shipped to "Any country" at $55.00 (US?) might be worth the Risk to try an unknown. But then; a known positive of $105 to $150 for a NOE mold shipped to my house with known quality makes it a more difficult "Buy the Deal" decision.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the useful comments on the mold design, i admit on their site i was suprised that the bullets shown were not perfect and you help with the reasoning about why and these factors do put me off. I am taken with the idea of interchangeable inserts and that is why i asked.

Forums are like herding cats so thank you 405 grain.