Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Buckhorn easier than aperture?

For me peep sights are the way to go. They focus your eye a lot better. But you also may want to try a Red Dot/RMR sight.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master

Old style African shallow V ! Good idea scattershot. I forgot all about those.
    They were well used on some ML's also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Wanted to thank you guys for all your thoughts. I've sat with this and had an honest dialogue with my eyes and took in everything you've contributed here. Hard to accept limitations, I guess. At any rate I've finally accepted my peep days are behind me, at least for any hunting. The 2.5 x 20 FX II Ultralight is about as perfect an optic, in my book, as I could mount on this rifle. Putting game down cleanly is more important than any ego/attachment I might have to a more traditional setup.

Just want to say, yet again, the high regard I hold for Andy Larsson and Skinner Sights. We were in contact throughout this and he was and remains great to deal with.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    i cant see the fore sight anymore in or range. 200 meter indoor( old railway tunnel) so i just use scopes .

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Wanted to thank you guys for all your thoughts. I've sat with this and had an honest dialogue with my eyes and took in everything you've contributed here. Hard to accept limitations, I guess. At any rate I've finally accepted my peep days are behind me, at least for any hunting. The 2.5 x 20 FX II Ultralight is about as perfect an optic, in my book, as I could mount on this rifle. Putting game down cleanly is more important than any ego/attachment I might have to a more traditional setup.

Just want to say, yet again, the high regard I hold for Andy Larsson and Skinner Sights. We were in contact throughout this and he was and remains great to deal with.
    I wonder what the minimum eye relief on that one is. I have a Swift 1-4.5x20 on one of my 94's and it is an excellent scope but actually has too much eye relief. I'm probably going to switch back to a receiver sight on it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I wonder what the minimum eye relief on that one is. I have a Swift 1-4.5x20 on one of my 94's and it is an excellent scope but actually has too much eye relief. I'm probably going to switch back to a receiver sight on it.
    They're showing it at 4.9". Could you talk more about what "too much eye relief" is about?
    -Paul

What I mean is, to get a clear view through the scope without the image tunneling, I have to keep my cheek way back on the stock which is uncomfortable. There is a distance from the eye to the lens that is optimal, and on this scope its too much.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What I mean is, to get a clear view through the scope without the image tunneling, I have to keep my cheek way back on the stock which is uncomfortable. There is a distance from the eye to the lens that is optimal, and on this scope its too much.
    That is a mounting issue. Lots of solutions depend on which rings and mounts you have?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW-I have several leverguns, and the all have irons. And when I buy another, the buckhorn comes off "toot sweet."
    My M71 has a Williams receiver-sight with an ivory-beaded front. All my leverguns are carbines, mostly with 20" barrels, though some have 16" or 21-22".
    I have a .256WinMag M92 Rossi with a Lyman tang-sight, and a Trapper's model .44Mag with a "Steve's Gunz peep that replaces the safety. The .44 has a brass-bead front and the .256 has a fiber-optic sight.
    All of my leverguns are used with cast boolits, and shot at 50 yards, primarily, because of my sight. I am 75yo.
    If I am shooting lots further, I have scoped rifles with 1-4x variables to 8-25x variables with a sprinkling of 2.5x, 3x and 4x fixed-power mostly with Lee-dots of different sizes.
    when I go hunting or plinking with the leverguns, I take the disc off an use the "ghost-sight" method. The buckhorns cover too much area, and make it difficult to pick up moving targets.
    Have fun with those leverguns,
    Gene
    El plomo ES oro

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That is a mounting issue. Lots of solutions depend on which rings and mounts you have?
    There aren't many options for the 94 AE. I'm using Leopold mounts and rings. Soon as I get my loads dialed in I'm probably going back to a receiver sight. FYI, H335 works awesome with boolits in the .30-30. I'm using 26 grains under an RCBS 30-150-FN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12