Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Chiappa Single Action 22-10 wheel gun

Chiappa Single Action 22-10 wheel gun

I like to know if anyone have one of these . If so how is it for you , this one has a 22 mag cylinder with it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I've only been at the next bench to a .22 Mag revolver. (Was it a Chiappa? Don't know). All I can report is that it was awfully noisy.
    Cognitive Dissident

About 5 yrs ago, I bought a Chiappa single action 22. I don't remember how many rounds it held. It was 22 lr. I tried probably 10 different brands of .22 lr ammo and could never get it to consistantly hit a paper plate at 10 yds.. I gave it to a buddy and let him try it out. A few weeks later he gave it back with a thumbs down.

Denny

Thanks for letting me know .

Up date tested it today since it was warm enough outside, the ammo I tested it with is American Eagle that is good for about 7 yards on target, Then the bulk Federal it was good about 4 yards , but you need to have the front sight high and the bottom of the front sight in line with the rear sight. Next time I will test out CCI. It was just a quick test I done . The way it looks is need to test some rounds to see what way is best to use the rounds before use them for anything . Since different ammo shoots different.

Friend bought 2 10 shot Chiapa revolvers 3 years ago, still has them in inventory, he found a used uberti 12, shot 22 revolver, and that only sat on the shelf for a few weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the 1873 SAA Chiappa 22LRs, and they are great foir their purpose. Woods gun, one that if I lose it or it falls in a river I won't cry over it, but it's there if I need it on my side otherwise. They fit my hand better than a Ruger Super Six but are probably less accurate. I got a spare cylinder for one of mine and reamed it out for 22 WRF, which is almost a 22 WMR but better than a 22 LR. And less noisy. BTW, 22 WRF fires fine in the 22 WMR cylinder too.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We had them at my side job shop for awhile. They have an inertia firing pin which doesn't contact the rim when the hammer is all the way down and I didn't see anything in the manual about carrying with an empty chamber under the hammer. The actual construction is chintzy and the .45 Colt size cylinder is way oversize. For a gun that is actually cheaper than a Rough Rider they seem to be decent, certainly better than most Saturday Night Special type guns in that price range. Awhile back Chiappa announced they were rolling out a .38 Special version with an MSRP of three bills but I guess that isn't going to happen.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I like how it fits in my hand and I can live with how it is . Thanks Ferguson about your post .

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    No problem. In my experience, alot of cheap guns actually shoot and function quite well. It's just there are alot of lemons in the mix as well, and paring out the lemons would jack up the price. If you got one that was good to go out of the box, I see no reason why it wouldn't do well for at least a few thousand rounds. I have no clue how good Chiappa's customer service is, so there is that wild card to deal with. If they rolled out one of these things that was Ruger Bearcat size I would buy it just 'cause.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

FWIW, I'd rather (and do) have a real Bearcat - although a repro .31cal Remington 1853 will do the trick.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I have no clue how good Chiappa's customer service is, so there is that wild card to deal with.
    Chiappa's customer service is so good that I've never had to deal with them. These guns are simple, basic and a proven design. No plastic anywhere. The 45 Colt-sized cylinder just makes it a more controllable, hand-sized gun. I had to dispose of a Bearcat because it always felt like a toy it was so small. My only, only compliant is after-market grips for the Chiappa are few and far between. I'd love me some ivory-styled or stag-horn styled grips.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

For grips, you might scribe an outline of one of your grip panels, then compare it with other SA revolver grips (Ruger/Colt/etc/etc) for a set that's close.

For example, the set of MOTS (Mother Of Toilet Seat)) grip panels on my Colt Frontier Scout. ( I bought/installed the grip medallions)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride