Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: 44 mag load

Boolit Mold

44 mag load

After looking through my loading manual I have decided on the following load for my 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag
    Star line brass
    Federal Large Pistol Magnum Primers #155
    19 grains H110
    300 grain W**** cast bullet from Cast Performance .430
    Seems good? Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPaint View Post
    After looking through my loading manual I have decided on the following load for my 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag
    Star line brass
    19 grains H110
    Sure seems appropriate...But, as I said in another post.. I would be wanting to know How much Boolit is in the case??? Crimp groove to Base.....
    If .500 or less (the Lee 310 RF GC) I would say yer good to go...works great in my Ruger 96/44..
    even longer seated may go more powder...Tho I use the longer seating with my SBH, and stay at 19.0 to 19.5 Gr H110... HTH

Good end result for a "magnum" 44 Magnum load.
    All the usual development comments apply.
    Intended purpose in mind?

Boolit Grand Master

Not exactly a "shot load" for this sub forum?

Your load is probably a good load but, as asked, for what purpose?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    LOL
    I didn't even notice we was in the "shot load" section...I just "assumed"...Yikes... I gotta quit simply pushing "unread Posts"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Good end result for a "magnum" 44 Magnum load.
    All the usual development comments apply.
    Intended purpose in mind?
    Intended purpose is for hunting deer and black bear.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Not exactly a "shot load" for this sub forum?

Your load is probably a good load but, as asked, for what purpose?
    Oops. Sorry about that. Will be used for hunting deer and black bear.

Boolit Master
    sounds like you might be new to reloading. well welcome. remember there is lots of good help and advice here. there are no stupid questions and its all a learning process besides being posted in the pistol cartridge shot shell reloading section.
    when you state that you decided on a load for a metallic cartridge after looking through your reloading manual my eyebrows were raised.
    it is good practice to work a load up to see exactly how it performs before "deciding on a load" the powder you chose is very popular but has a very small window, usually just a couple grains. there are much more versatile powders like 2400 or no9 or 4227 the idea is you want to start at the recommended minimum powder charge and increase it by a little at a time and see how it works out as far as over pressure signs like cratering or blown out primers or sticky extraction and to find out what the accuracy is like. in metallic cartridge reloading little changes in the seating depth of the slug can result in large changes in the pressure.
    I'm guessing your just wanting to put together a very powerful load. and I can understand that. there are lots of very experienced hunters that share info here and this can be very helpful. and if you are new to all this let me highly recommend
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    also on the web site that came from are lots of documented accounts of hunting with cast bullets and information that can lead to a lifetime of a very enjoyable hobby.

Boolit Master
    ^^ All of the Above...But, Do Not reduce the starting load with H110, and use the Exact Boolit, and seating depth (COAL).. (The reason I ask how much Boolit is in the Case)...
    If Not..
    I also recommend a different Powder..

Using h110 is not wise unless one uses the exact bullet specified in the data, or has the measurements of it to determine used case volume and you have a bullet of the same used case volume.

Deer and black bear do not require full bore 44 mag loads. Starting with the top end loads is ill advisable until you understand all the nuances of load development and pressure. Using a middle load with unique powder or similar will be much safer and will still produce a magnum round that is suitable for most purposes.

Loadbooks usa makes a one caliber one manual book. It compiles data from various bullet and powder manufacturers and is invaluable for working up loads. I suggest ya get one in both 44 mag and 44 special. There is a grey area between the two that you can safely load in. For example, if bullet X uses 6 grains unique in 44 special but starts at 10 grains unique in 44 magnum, you can safely load that 6-10 grain range in magnum cases to produce reliable working loads. This will enable you to have ammo now while you learn reloading better and experiment with full bore loads.

The danger of bullet substitution is that the internal used case volume changes the pressure, but also changes of the length bearing surface of the bullet effects pressure. So picking a bullet with the same weight is not sufficient. You must have a bullet of similar weight and length of bearing surface as well as similar distance from the base to the crimp groove. Having data for reference and measurements to determine used case volume is the only safe way when working up max loads.

Substituting a generic bullet of the same weight generally causes little concern when at the special to magnum starting load pressure levels.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-24-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes to all that... But...I still would Not hesitate to put that "300 grain W**** cast bullet from Cast Performance .430"
    over 19.0 grains of H110 for use in a Redhawk... Only thing gonna suffer is the operators Hand!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedPaint View Post
    Oops. Sorry about that. Will be used for hunting deer and black bear.
    That load is right at the max load for a 300 gr cast in the 44 Magnum with H110. Going to be a handful and should be around 1050 - 1100 fps +/- out of your revolver.

BTW, good luck hunting.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    RedPaint--You joined on my birthday My SRH has .432 throats and as of last week have a 300 grain mold that drops at 436 and can resize to .432. I have H110 and 296 and others but am going to start with Unique and 2400 or N350 starting on the low side looking for accuracy at 100 yards starting at 25 yards with a 2 1/2x7 Burris scope. Waiting for better weather. The 300 grain does really great in my buddy's Freedom Arms but those were tested at .430 because that's what his throats are with a 1 in 20 twist.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-25-2023 at 03:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    Star line brass
    19 grains H110
    That's one place to start. As noted above, H110 has a narrow min-to-max load range and is useful mostly for max loads with heavy boolits. There are a wide selection of powders which have a wider range of application. I have a suspicion that a steady diet of 300gr's so loaded out of a 5.5" would leave me on the hunt for more pleasant range fodder. As regards hunting deer, I hunted for years with the Lyman 429215, 220gr dressed at 1100+fps and all of them shot through the deer I brought down.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up loading a few at less than maximum and increased towards maximum. I’ll let you all know how it works out.

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a mold that throwns a 300 gr boolit. Maybe a keith style bullet. 16.5 grs of surplus WW 680 ball powder works great! Have 40 lbs of that propellant that I bought for $3/lb A guy named Paul Swarrow sold a keith style semi-wadcutter sized and lubed .430 300gr boolit. I think it was a H & G mold he used. His boolits are no longer available. Just need to find a mold. Maybe an RKI (reasonably knowledgeable individual) might know. I think you are on the right track with your 19 grs of H110.

My favorite entry level 44 Magnum load used 18.5 grs 2400 behind a generic 240 gr cast SWC or 250 gr Keith SWC (both 12 BHN). You really don’t need more power for Whitetail deer.
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

Boolit Mold
    I worked up to 18.5 grains of H110 and was very pleased with accuracy. Enjoyable to shoot in the red hawk. Glad I decided to reload, it was a lot of fun. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master

What Hi-speed said, but hey, if you found what you were looking for, go for it and practice so "buck fever" doesn't mess with your aim!