Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .303, blown out cases.

Boolit Master

.303, blown out cases.

I was in need of some blown out .303 BRITISH cases to use as 410 shot shell cases. a member stepped up and sent me some of them. I loaded some of them with 12 grs. of UNIQUE, and 3 .375 RB'S. and also 15.5 grs of 2400, and # 7 shot. I thanked him for stepping up to help me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I was in need of some blown out .303 BRITISH cases to use as 410 shot shell cases. a member stepped up and sent me some of them. I loaded some of them with 12 grs. of UNIQUE, and 3 .375 RB'S. and also 15.5 grs of 2400, and # 7 shot. I thanked him for stepping up to help me.
    Glad someone was there for you.
    Back when Primers were cheap, I fireformed all manner of Cartriges...including 303/410, by "feeding the Fish"... ie loads with Corn Meal, topped with wax wads, shot over the Pond!! Next ones??? Thinking on the Expander route to get to a round ball.. at least there will be some kind of projectile... FWIW.
    What does occur to me, is the wisdom of the folks at Thompson Center (back when). As the 7TCU, and the 357 Herrett, shoot fireform loads extremely well!!! Even the 22-30 (22 cal 30 carbine) shoot somewhat useful groups!!! Try it yerself... it can be enjoyable.

Boolit Master
    racepres, thanks for the reply. yes there are a great many great people on this site who step up and help! in fire forming 303/410 what load and what powder did you use, if you care? "feeding the fish" now I like that, waist not want not. it is great that when you don't have a clue on fire forming a specific cal. that there is some one that has done it, and posts a reply on how to do it. all the best.

Boolit Master
    racepres, thanks for the reply. yes there are a great many great people on this site who step up and help! in fire forming 303/410 what load and what powder did you use, if you care? "feeding the fish" now I like that, waist not want not. it is great that when you don't have a clue on fire forming a specific cal. that there is some one that has done it, and posts a reply on how to do it. all the best.
    On the calibers like 7TCU, 357 Herrett, and 22-30, Just regular Mid range loads do very well...In Fact, one of my fireform loads for the Herrett is still used quite often in already formed Brass...I like it, and it shoots Good.. The 303 to 410... Looking
    Edit; Found it.. Annealed 303 Brass (not just the neck, but Not all the way to the Web)
    14gr Unique, then a Wad (cardboard, egg carton foam) if yer gonna handle them, since I go straight to the Pond...I skip that part... Probably shouldnt, but trying to get a wad past the neck is a PITA... fill rest of case with Cornmeal, (more nutrition than Cream of Wheat for my Fish, LOL)
    top with wax wad heated a bit to melt to best seal... I suspect a 32 cal Ball would be better, but, I aim skyward...and there is a neighbor somewhere a mile or 2 over the Hill!!!!
    Edit again: It occurs to me that some may Not have the luxury of aiming at the sky and pull the trigger!!
    No Fish to Feed!!! In which case... don't be afraid to Pack that filler Hard...

If the case don't come out Straight... they seldom do, I do It again... but...next opportunity, I will try a Bulletted Round ... just for Grins!!

Anyway... There is Plenty more about Fireforming that I have not presented...But... feel free to LMK the specific Ctg at that point... We can get particular..
    Last edited by racepres; 01-24-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    thank you so much for the come back. it is very helpful info for me. and any body that loves fish can't be all bad, lol!! I have ear marked the info that you have posted.

Boolit Master
    thank you so much for the come back. it is very helpful info for me. and any body that loves fish can't be all bad, lol!! I have ear marked the info that you have posted.
    Fish yes... but I never outgrew Tarter

Boolit Master

I tried making 410s from 303 brass and had so so results.
    I used Berdan primed brass and converted them to use 209 shotgun primers and modified the rims to 410 dimensions.
    I annealed them but I didn’t get the expansion all the way down.
    I was firing them in an old Ranger bolt action shotgun and didn’t want to go too hot and blow up the gun!
    I may try again if primers get reasonable again.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I made a few 303/410s in a 45/410 . The 45 mongo was fine there, 45 Colts level load used in Colts Dragoon cartridge conversions .

I made an expander that opens the case down about 2/3 way down. I've been doing some today in Berdan brass . I can't get the pocket to swage up via staking this time so I guess I'll have to go to 209s this time .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I made me a batch a few days ago used once fired ppu 303 brass for the short shells and the 9.3x74R for my 3 inch mags , I anneal the case 3/4 of the way down and charge with 9 grains of red dot fill with corn flour and seal with a wax plug and using reloaded primers out of 75 cases only had three of the 303 that needed a load of powder with shot to finish blowing the bases out good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I made me a batch a few days ago used once fired ppu 303 brass for the short shells and the 9.3x74R for my 3 inch mags , I anneal the case 3/4 of the way down and charge with 9 grains of red dot fill with corn flour and seal with a wax plug and using reloaded primers out of 75 cases only had three of the 303 that needed a load of powder with shot to finish blowing the bases out good.
    Great.. as I said.. it is uncommon to get full length "blow out" on the first try.. No biggie for me as at that point, the business end is "ready".
    I suspect Red Dot is actually the better route... but, at the time I had Plenty of Unique...and powder space was not an issue..
    I too have been knowing about 9.3X74R for ages... and... the price has been...Too Much for my blood...forever..
    Good Lord willin and the Creek don't rise... I'm gonna work with a 45/410 Contender in the next few days!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Great.. as I said.. it is uncommon to get full length "blow out" on the first try.. No biggie for me as at that point, the business end is "ready".
    I suspect Red Dot is actually the better route... but, at the time I had Plenty of Unique...and powder space was not an issue..
    I too have been knowing about 9.3X74R for ages... and... the price has been...Too Much for my blood...forever..
    Good Lord willin and the Creek don't rise... I'm gonna work with a 45/410 Contender in the next few days!!
    9.3 is 1/3 the price of "real" 410 brass ......

Thats why when 303 Berdan primed spent brass came up I snagged it . The last bunch I was able to just peen the pocket down a little this brass I guess has a larger pocket and isn't interested in peening.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .