MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: D166 Bullets, 7.62x54R and Mosins - Hype?

D166 Bullets, 7.62x54R and Mosins - Hype?

I've been seeing over the years all the videos and posts everywhere glorifying the D166 and loading them in Mosins. Out of curiosity I did some load research, bought a couple boxes and loaded a bunch for my 2 M39's and new M91 B Barrel. I got to say I am really unimpressed. I've had 10x better results using Sierra 180 grain bullets than these over priced and over hyped D166's. I've used multiple powders in making these loads. Anybody else have experience?

Boolit Grand Master

Shot some quite a few years back in my M39 with Weaver T6 scope and M91/30 sniper, both which ar MOA or less with Sierra 174 MKs and 180 SPs. The D166s were 1 1/2 moa capable in both rifles. The D116s are .310 diameter, the Sierras are .311 diameter. I've found .311 and .3112 diameter bullets always give better accuracy in my MNs given equal quality of bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I too have had best success with the Sierra 174 gr match in my 28/30's and 1891.
    I have never tried that bullet that you mentioned.
    Because why spend extra money on something when you have something that works great.

I was shocked to see how bad they shot. Even spam can surplus light ball grouped better than those.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess it's a matter of tailoring a load to your specific rifle. I've used D166 and D46/D47 bullets for years, as they used to be available in different diameters so you culd "chase the bore", so to speak. In one of my M28/30s I get near MOA accuracy with the D166, 54 grains of 4350, and in Lapua cases. Others, not so much. But the D166s are expensive nowadays and like others, I get similar accuracy with somewhat less pricey Sierra MKs.