MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd primer strike

Boolit Master

Odd primer strike

OK, this came from a Ruger SR1911 commander. The load was a moderate amount of Zip behind a RCBS 45-230 rn. Any explanations?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Just a wag but maybe that is why I was taught from day one many, many moons ago to not place hand over ejection port during clearing cycle due to a possible primer strike from ejector on live round. "moderate amount of Zip"? Hot round on factory 16#ish factory spring? I do not know your 1911 history but the ones I have experience with will not do everything perfect. Tune it for over here, or tune it for over there, or tune it down so it will stove pipe with a limp wrist. Pick your poison.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting, the primers are not flat like there was too much of a powder charge. But it looks like the primer flowed into the firing pin hole and was sheered off when ejected, which is a sign of to much pressure. Not sure what the other ding is. Are these reloads, if so what primers,type of powder and charge? Does the same thing happen with other loads? How about with factory loads?
    The firing pin does not look like it goes into the primer very far, is the firing pin too light or the spring too stout? Are the primers too hard? Is the recoil spring getting weak, how many rounds on the recoil spring? I like flat wire recoil springs on commanders, they stand up and last longer than round springs. It is going to take some detective work.

Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Any bets on a long ejector nose?

Boolit Master
    A good SWAG.

Have those been reloaded several times? And, the firing pin area of the primers do look a little 'different' and don't know what would cause that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Any bets on a long ejector nose?
    My SWAG also, or it's bent wrong/out!

Send it back to Ruger with a couple pieces of brass.

How does factory ammo look?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Broken firing pin?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I noticed a good round dent in the center of the fired primers. Perhaps something is hitting the case as it is extracted/ejected? Not a 1911 expert and I only have one but seeing a lot damage on the case head/rim, I'd check the ejector...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Neither the extractor or ejector will hit the primer, both only contact the case. Does it do this with a different brand of primer? Also confused by what is causing the circular mark around the firing pin strike. The primer on the right hand photo looks like the primer cup has flowed outward. A picture of the area around the firing pin hole on the slide would be interesting, almost seems that there may be something there causing this, but think you would have noticed any abnormality. Only thing I can think of would be a short case (or excessive headspace) that is too far into the chamber and held by the extractor allowing room for a weak spot in the primer to flow back until it hit the face of the slide. This is happening on firing as by the time the slide moves back far enough to unlock the bullet (and pressure) is long gone.

Does it do this with factory ammo or reasonable reloads?

Boolit Master
    Debris on breech face?
    Damaged bushing?
    Is the firing pin bouncing and striking twice? Check the firing pin spring and related parts.

I have had this on a couple Glocks with bullets a bit long that wedged into the lands. It cocks the round just a bit in the chamber & the strike is off center. Serious enough, it wont fire. really serious, it wont chamber.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Action not fully closed at time of firing. COL to long?

Or simple over pressure loads.

5.7 Zip & 230 gr maximum?
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-24-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    If only the nose of ejector should touch case, take a good light and look on inside RH FWD edge of ejector. Also, does it do this with a factory level load?

Boolit Master
    When you really blow it up the one on the left looks like the primer blew from the inside. <pressure>Normally the primer ruptures where the firing pin hits. There is black on the outside of the case like a powder escape and the primer is peeled back. It doesn't look as it was struck from the rear?<hole> I'm with post #12 on not being fully closed. If you look where the firing pin hit the pattern is the same. Looking at the bottom case the holes are straight across from the extractor on the far side. MAYBE--with the gun unloaded see if it will fire with the slide back 1/8'' or so. The primer kind of looks like the gun may have a firing pin bushing recessed in the frame.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-24-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Maybe the primer is just blowing out due to excess pressure.

Regarding the ejector hitting the primer……it certainly can when clearing a jam. As a new shooter many years ago, I got a black thumb and a piece of brass stuck in my shoulder’s skin while clearing a jam in a 10mm 1911. I saw the primer contact the ejector as I tried to rack loose. I learned real quick to rotate the ejection port away from myself when clearing a jam.

45acp slide timing or over pressure load. Short chamber. COL to long?

A 1911 normally has an inertia firing pin. After striking the primer, pin bounces back, leaving room for the primer to flow into the pin hole.

High pressure allows primer flow to be above the case head. Slide timing may allow the face of the slide/bolt to slide across the raised primer metal. It gets flattened, like in OP photo.

Different actions like strikers fired may have the firing pin contact the primer & case head, as the action operates.

Google- 9mm Primer Swipe or Primer wipe. Both are not common to 1911s. A short chamber has been know to cause the problem.

Reduce the powder charge. See if primer stops flowing.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-24-2023 at 08:38 PM.

This is my 9mm Taurus G3C, as it came from the factory, , firing Remington 9mm Luger factory ammo. Note the flattened bulge.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the firing pin diameter and the hole diameter in the breech face. It may be that the firing pin is too small in diameter, or the opening in the breech face is too large.

Manufacturers have been playing with 1911 firing pin diameters. There are now a bunch of different sizes available.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    With the barrel out of the gun, try sticking those cases in the chamber. Is the case hard to push in till the base is flush with the hood?
    Could be the bullet + case wall at the neck diameter is too large for the chamber. Moderate amount of fast burning powder will cause the bulge back into the firing pin hole and shear a little primer cup plating. That will cause the firing pin to start hanging when the case starts to eject. Could be varying neck wall thickness with mixed headstamp brass.

My first guess would be a damaged or out of spec firing pin. Emphasis on guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast