RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 45 and RCBS lubesizers both sizing crooked.

Boolit Master

Lyman 45 and RCBS lubesizers both sizing crooked.

As the title says I have a Lyman sizer and a RCBS Lubesizer and both seem to size the bullets on a slight angle. This is with multiple size dies and correct top punches. This would lead me to believe it is something I am doing wrong in setup and not the equipment. The only thing I can think of is not completely cleaning out the die cavity before putting in a new die. Although I know that it was clean for the first setup. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

Boolit Grand Master
    My LAM sizes straight and I have never put a boolit in either one of my 450's, so no help there.

Maybe try sizing a boolit, then removing the H&I die and reinstalling it 180 degrees from the original position and trying again. Or maybe its the top punch?

If both of yours really do size crooked, you have luck like mine.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Is this with long rifle bullets or just both pistol and rifle? It could also be that the top punch does not fit the nose correctly or is pushed out of alignment when the retaining screw is tight. If all else seems to be OK, size halfway, eject, rotate 180 and complete the process. Then see what the bullet is showing you.

Is lube building up under the bullets base while sizing?

Boolit Master
    I have had that problem with a Lyman 450, and a 4500, both were bought used and apparently worn out. They have noticeable slop in the ram. Have never noticed any wear like that in my old 45's. Does your 45 have any binding issues, I suppose the lube tube could be cross threaded at an angle, and cause the head to come down at an angle, but that would be very obvious. Haven't used an RCBS luber, but I have many 45's and like them.

Boolit Master
    Noticed my RCBS wasn't sizing concentrically, when I started casting longer rifle bullets. Short flat nosed pistol bullets, not an issue. Cure was graduating to a Star and using it as nose first sizer.......no need for anything other than flat punches. Only, use the LAM for sizing pistol bullets.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Is lube building up under the bullets base while sizing?
    The only time I get lube under the bullet is when I warm up the sizer with my hair dryer, It only takes a little to get it warm enough to work well but if I forget to back off the ratchet before warming it will splooge some out on the first size, then I just clean it out and it is good after that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I have had that problem with a Lyman 450, and a 4500, both were bought used and apparently worn out. They have noticeable slop in the ram. Have never noticed any wear like that in my old 45's. Does your 45 have any binding issues, I suppose the lube tube could be cross threaded at an angle, and cause the head to come down at an angle, but that would be very obvious. Haven't used an RCBS luber, but I have many 45's and like them.
    The rams are tight on both sizers. I have had both apart and fully boiled out and cleaned and all is tight and straight. The 45 was my dads so I know the history on that one from when it was new, well at least when I was new. LOL He got it before I was born I believe. I was born in 51 so I have no idea how old it is.

Boolit Master

I don't size in an RCBS or Lyman for that matter for the reason you are mentioning. I size only in push through sizers. Mine are from Lee but I understand NOE makes good ones also. I lube in my RCBS machine with a die that is at least .001" larger than my sized bullets. Bullets sized crooked can't shoot as they should.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I don't size in an RCBS or Lyman for that matter for the reason you are mentioning. I size only in push through sizers.
    Same here, seat checks and size with NOE push through dies and lube only with my LM2.

Moderator Emeritus

Just like any production made Reloading press, the alignment of Ram and other machined areas can be slightly off. Some functions are less effected by this slight misalignment, while others are greatly effected.

So, when sizing long skinny Rifle boolits, a slight misalignment in a lubesizer can bend a boolit...But it's much less likely to effect a pistol boolit very much.

I can't help with any tricks with the RCBS, or the Lyman 450 and the newer 4500(which have a design flaw, as the ram wears the casting, it will have the TP engage a boolit at a slight angle)
    ... But with the Lyman 45, the usual misalignment comes from opening where the Die is inserted, it can become Oval if the setscrew was over tightened during it's lifetime. Anyway, you can "shim" the Die to correct, or offset the TP. Also, one of theprefessor's custom TP with O-ring can correct that as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Have you ever changed the O-Rings on the sizing dies. They may be worn out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman dies do not have o-rings.

Boolit Master
    The top punches are going in nice a snug so they are not cocked and this happens with all of the dies both rifle and pistol. So what I am going to do is size a few and figure out what the position of the angle is and then rotate the die 90 degrees and see if that changes anything. If not then it has to be in the way the die is seated and I will clean out the unit and look into that. It is strange that it is happening on two different sizers from different brands and much different years, eras even.

Moderator Emeritus

Misalignment is different than cocked.

If you have a TP than is very close in size to a Die's ID, then once you get them installed snuggly, lower then TP onto the top of the Die, and if the alignment isn't visually perfect, you'll likely need to do some correcting, for long Rifle bullets anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    The Lyman dies do not have o-rings.
    I have one of those I rebuilt with 450 0 rings that works perfect. You should be able to lower the top punch to the sizer to check for warp. The concave piston goes to the top. A 45 doesn't require 0 rings but 450 dies will fit mine. You can't use 45 dies in a 450 or it will leak. If using the correct punch to help line up and scrapes one side of the boolit and makes shinny on one side it's probably warped. You should be able to stand in front and then stand to the side and see a warp that bad. Measure the sizer piston and measure the od of a top punch that size and lower to check. The top punch should start in the sizer. A machine shop should be able to heat and fix. You could sell yours and buy mine. I have 6-450's to keep me company.

Boolit Master

Wow, that's news to me.
    I've been sizing my boolits since 1969 in my 450, with nary an issue. I must be holding my mouth right.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I was having the same problem when sizing 9mm bullets from an aluminum mold. Mine were sizing at a slight angle as evidenced by more sizing on one side of the bullet than the other.
    The problem was the bullet base. I had waited too long before cutting the sprue, and ended up with a slight nub on the bullet base.
    Sit your bullets on a level surface before sizing, and you should see them leaning to one side. Cut the sprues sooner while the lead is hotter.
    It does not happen with the iron molds I have, as they hold the heat longer.
    Last edited by Bird; 01-29-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    This may mean anything or nothing, but what lube are you using, and how much pressure do you put on it?

I have a Lachmiller that I use for heavy-duty sizing, and noticed that my .30 caliber boolits were coming out asymmetric like you describe. This had never happened before. But I had changed the lube in it to one of those modern High-Performance lubes (saving the Alox/Beeswax, Ideal and soft homemade lubes for use in the 45s). The new concoction wasn’t advertised as needing heat (that was the next product up on the performance chart), but required a lot of heaving on the wrench, even with a hair dryer, to get it moving. And, coincidentally, there were the scuffed and bent boolits.

I put a heater plate under the Lachmiller, waited until things were warm enough so the wrench work was no more difficult than with Alox/Beeswax, and ran some more boolits through. No more uneven sides, just like it used to work. Perfectamundo!

I have no idea as to cause and effect here, but if you’re using a Red or Blue or other high-velocity lube that’s stiffer than the old standbys, you might give this a try. If your Dad was using that 45 for all those years with no complaints, it’s unlikely that the alignment was off. There is, as Johnb mentioned, the potential for the setscrew to push the die offside, or even crack the casting, if tightened too hard, but any actual wear in the die hole would announce itself with ribbons of lube squeezing out of everywhere. The nut used on the RCBS (which was originally the Lachmiller sizer) would prevent any side motion of the die, so misalignment is even less likely there.

I dunno—I must lead a charmed life. I’ve scrounged up a half-dozen well-used Lyman 45s, a couple Ideals and the Lachmiller (bought new as a remainder), and I’ve found no evidence of misalignment in any of them. Also a plethora of used moulds, by all manufacturers, with only a couple instances of undersized castings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    This may mean anything or nothing, but what lube are you using, and how much pressure do you put on it?

I have a Lachmiller that I use for heavy-duty sizing, and noticed that my .30 caliber boolits were coming out asymmetric like you describe. This had never happened before. But I had changed the lube in it to one of those modern High-Performance lubes (saving the Alox/Beeswax, Ideal and soft homemade lubes for use in the 45s). The new concoction wasn’t advertised as needing heat (that was the next product up on the performance chart), but required a lot of heaving on the wrench, even with a hair dryer, to get it moving. And, coincidentally, there were the scuffed and bent boolits.

I put a heater plate under the Lachmiller, waited until things were warm enough so the wrench work was no more difficult than with Alox/Beeswax, and ran some more boolits through. No more uneven sides, just like it used to work. Perfectamundo!

I have no idea as to cause and effect here, but if you’re using a Red or Blue or other high-velocity lube that’s stiffer than the old standbys, you might give this a try. If your Dad was using that 45 for all those years with no complaints, it’s unlikely that the alignment was off. There is, as Johnb mentioned, the potential for the setscrew to push the die offside, or even crack the casting, if tightened too hard, but any actual wear in the die hole would announce itself with ribbons of lube squeezing out of everywhere. The nut used on the RCBS (which was originally the Lachmiller sizer) would prevent any side motion of the die, so misalignment is even less likely there.

I dunno—I must lead a charmed life. I’ve scrounged up a half-dozen well-used Lyman 45s, a couple Ideals and the Lachmiller (bought new as a remainder), and I’ve found no evidence of misalignment in any of them. Also a plethora of used moulds, by all manufacturers, with only a couple instances of undersized castings.
    Interesting thought. I am using White label blue which is not a real hard lube but it does like a little heat. I use a hair dryer since it does not need much, And I am far too cheap to spend the exorbitant money they want for heaters. Yes I bought the fan controller and built the soldering iron one then found out that fan controllers do not work on inductive loads. Money wasted.

I have run a few bullets through the sizer without lubing and I did not notice as much offset. I am going to spend some time looking at this one. Thanks for the idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast