Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USPS Priority changes 01-22-2023

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by phantom22 View Post
    Also an aside, if you still have regional boxes laying around they can still be used, they just go by size and weight like regular packages. I mention that because the regional rate box sizes can be better for shipping a lot of things.
    FYI to all, I've never been able to figure out prices (using USPS website) for Priority Mail, except the flat rate. I've used the Regional box A many times. It's usually cheaper than the small flat rate box if the box doesn't need to cross a mountain range. I've shipped many things from MN to MI ...as well as TX...it's like $6 or $7.

I had a bag of brass go today to Texas. The padded flat rate envelope was $10.40 I asked the clerk how much it would be for Priority cubical (that is what they call the rate schedule if I use the now discontinued Regional A box. The shipping for that came to $25 (from MN to TX). So I guess I won't be using my stash of Regional A boxes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I swear that there is someone or a group of someones that are only there to make things dumber. It's like there's a contest to see who can come up with the most asinine ideas and then implement them just to watch things implode. You could apply this to basically any government agency.

When I offer shipping on my ebay store I hesitate to use priority at all anymore because it is so ridiculously expensive. Its almost like those in charge of making the prices have stock or some other interest in UPS or FedEx and are trying to push business in that direction. I know, corruption in government, it sounds super duper unlikely and unprecedented.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Also, keep ShipStation in mind. It's what Paypal uses for it's shipping now, and is a little cheaper than standard USPS rates. It's best to set up a Shipstation account through Paypal, rather than try to do it through ShipStation directly. However, keep the address bookmarked, because getting to it from the Paypal site is goofy at times, and impossible at others...they keep changing stuff up.
    Does ShipStation charge a monthly fee? I'm an occasional seller on ebay, and I don't want to pay a monthly fee when I'm not selling something.
    I asked Paypal if there was a monthly fee, since they were using ShipStation.. They said that there wasn't a fee to use Paypal, but didn't answer if there was a fee for ShipStation.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    If you buy labels through eBay when you sell you get pretty much the same discount. I've not noticed any difference between eBay and PirateShip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom22 View Post
    ...In any case I use this opportunity to recommend the use of pirateship.com. It allows regular consumers to pay business and cubic rates for shipping USPS and UPS. The discounts vary depending on size and weight of the package, BUT it is always cheaper than at the post office and is INSANELY cheaper than at the UPS store. I've found USPS to be around 10 - 25% cheaper and UPS to be between 35-50% cheaper.
    Can I use Pirateship to ship live ammo?
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Can I use Pirateship to ship live ammo?
    I just looked it up and you cannot use PirateShip to send any hazardous materials. There are instructions on how to do it without Pirate Ship, which essentially is "Go to UPS."

The only exception is Lithium Ion batteries.

Here is the UPS one: https://support.pirateship.com/en/ar...ohibited-items

And USPS: https://support.pirateship.com/en/ar...ohibited-items

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    I just looked it up and you cannot use PirateShip to send any hazardous materials. There are instructions on how to do it without Pirate Ship, which essentially is "Go to UPS."

The only exception is Lithium Ion batteries.

Here is the UPS one: https://support.pirateship.com/en/ar...ohibited-items

And USPS: https://support.pirateship.com/en/ar...ohibited-items
    Loaded ammo is not haz mat. It is what used to be ORMD and now just needs the diamond box marking.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Loaded ammo is not haz mat. It is what used to be ORMD and now just needs the diamond box marking.

Tim
    The links above clearly state you cannot ship ammunition using Pirate ship. It is a prohibited item to send using Pirate ship. I was replying to the previous person’s specific question.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    The links above clearly state you cannot ship ammunition using Pirate ship. It is a prohibited item to send using Pirate ship. I was replying to the previous person’s specific question.
    My mistake, it was my question and I did not go read your links.

Tim

Boolit Bub
    One thing worth mentioning is the sending of payment by certified mail. Instead of using certified mail (which must be signed for) I've started sending them as a First Class Package. For $3.48 I get tracking and usually get it there in 3 days. I've found that most folks aren't home, or don't want to wait around for the mailman to show up. After the second attempt it's held at the post office and the person has to go there to sign. With a First Class Package, myself and the recipient can follow it and know when it arrives, it's more convenient for both and the same or slightly less money to do it.

I've shipped a number of heavy items (a 12" lathe faceplate, two sets of heavy steel flats for a powder magazine, a small rock drill) using the UPS Simple Ship method. For heavy and dense items, it's almost always much cheaper than UPS by weight. They have options up to 144 cubic inches, and they let you ship your own packaging in any configuration, as long as it's under the total volume of the small/medium/large you paid for.

One caveat: If you ship a crated item, make sure it is enclosed in cardboard or pallet wrap from Home Depot, as they will hit you with a surcharge if you have bare wood exposed. Another option is the heavy-durty box tape from U-Haul. It's cheap and you get a huge roll that will stick to almost anything. And it looks like cardboard.

Boolit Buddy
    The discontinuation of the Regional A & B boxes is a load of poo!! I've saved people a lot of money using those boxes, especially the "A" boxes.
    Thank you, J.B.!

Boolit Master
    As much as I hate JB the guy to blame for this crap is Louis DeJoy. He is the one that took over the post office a couple years ago and immediately started raising prices and cutting back on service. All the politicians said he was going to be fired but he said "I am not going anywhere!", And he has not. Guess he is making someone happy but it certainly is not the paying public.

Boolit Master

I live in Tennessee and was told recently by a postal employee that any package going from the east coast across the Mississippi west the rates went "way up", his exact words. I found that to be true the hard way. I shipped a 1905 Springfield bayonet to Washington state and it cost me $23.00 + for the privilege.

Boolit Bub
    Just remember, there are other options besides the USPS flat rate boxes. I see a lot of people use them out of convenience because they can throw it in “a box”, tape it up and be done. What cost $19 to ship in a MFRB could’ve been shipped for < $10 if put in a smaller box. I get it, they’re handy and I use them sometimes for that reason. But usually there are cheaper options.

Boolit Master
    People got used to flat rate guarantee of three day delivery. That no longer pertains, they tell you if you don't have it in 7 days then call them. You do still have the added insurance but try collecting on it. Like any other of the services, you would need a lawyer to do so and they know you are not going to go that far.

Boolit Buddy
    Note that if you choose the flat rate boxes on Pirateship, you get roughly a 20% discount. For example, a small flat rate box is $8.10 and a medium flat rate box is $14 through Pirateship.

I guess having the postal employee do it for you costs the extra amount.....

Boolit Master

I have had one package "disappear" and it was a holster from Simply Rugged that was mailed somewhere but who knows where. The lady who provided the tracking info sent a crazy tracking number to me. After some weeks and no holster I sent them an email asking about the holster. They sent me a reply with a tracking number that was not a number used by either USPS or FedEx. I took all the info I had to the post office and talked to the head postmaster. She took the info and went into her office and came back some minutes later and stated she had called them and they were very confused about the tracking number. She went back and called them again after giving them some time to check things out on their end. Long story short, they had insured the shipment but had no positive tracking number. The post master came back and filled out a form for an insurance claim for me and after I signed it, she gave me a complete refund (in cash) based on the money order and shipping. I was told by the PM that the holster was probably lying in a dead letter storage somewhere and would after a certain period of time be disposed of. Maybe I am just lucky or blessed but I have only had that 1 package lost in over 55+ years of shipping and receiving packages. I did have one package tore all to pieces going to California but that package was paid for also and both me and the reciepiant made a few dollars on it. But that another story and interesting also. my experience anyway, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 02-12-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12