Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press not seating consistantly

Boolit Master

Press not seating consistantly

Just wondering if anyone else has run into a problem with the Lee auto breech lock pro not seating bullets consistantly.

I will run a case through the stages and get the seating die adjusted to where I like it. Then once I get all four stages occupied it seems to seat bullets inconsistantly. Subsequent bullets are usually seated shallower than the first round I loaded (resulting in a longer OAL).

I think something is happening when all the stations are occupied there is too much resistence when the ram goes up. I tried depriming and sizing all the brass ahead of time to reduce this resistence. It helped some but not enpugh.

Any clever solutions or adjustments that you'd recommend?

If the sizing station gets a tough case to size, it might be putting a tilt on the shell plate as it goes up
    that isn't there when the sizing station gets 'an easy one'.

I don't do it, but I've heard of folks sizing and de-priming on a single stage,
    then run everything through the progressive for the rest.

You might try doing that with a hundred or so to test the theory.
    And make sure the shell plate doesn't have a wobble.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Try resetting the seating depth after you have a round in the crimping station (if you are crimping). It may also be a trimming question if the brass are not all the same length. Try backing out the seating die a full turn after contact is made with the case mouth, then setting the depth. Lots of wiggle room with breach lock and a progressive press. It really doesn't show up with pistol rounds but can be a challenge with run-out with a rifle cartridge. Lee makes a dead length seating die that might help.

Boolit Master
    First of all, are you loading rifle or pistol. What type of bullets, IE lead or jacketed or plated or coated and what style of bullet. Last, exactly how much variance in OAL are you experiencing? A certain amount of difference in OAL is normal and generally not a big deal depending on a lot of other factors in your loading procedures and components.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    First of all, are you loading rifle or pistol. What type of bullets, IE lead or jacketed or plated or coated and what style of bullet. Last, exactly how much variance in OAL are you experiencing? A certain amount of difference in OAL is normal and generally not a big deal depending on a lot of other factors in your loading procedures and components.
    Also add in case neck tension and seating die stem may also have an effect. For cast bullets (rifle or pistol) check OAL for variations before and after lubing. In other cases the like for rifle (even jacketed) the bullet tip may vary but the ogive may be consistent with the seating stem your using.

Boolit Grand Master

The added pressure of the full operations may be taking the play in it our differently. In this same vein you operate the press my even have a slight effect.

Most rifle bullets and some pistol bullets arnt seated by the tip your measuring the oal from, but are seated by the ogive (or round nose sides of a pistol bullet) on the bullet, Variances in the ogive will show up in OAL.

Trying a flat seater punch will show the above sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    I will run a case through the stages and get the seating die adjusted to where I like it. Then once I get all four stages occupied it seems to seat bullets inconsistantly. Subsequent bullets are usually seated shallower than the first round I loaded (resulting in a longer OAL)…

Any clever solutions or adjustments that you'd recommend?
    Set your seat die with the other stations occupied, not empty.

Boolit Master

Lubed or powder coated? Maybe lube build up in seater die.
    Just tossing ideas out, goodluck.

Boolit Master
    I am reloading 9mm, brass is sorted by headstamp, already deprimed and sized (although I leave that die in place). The bullet is Lee's TL356-95-RF coated with Smoke's bacon grease.

The variation is from 1.022" to 1.040". If I only run one case at a time on the shell plate, those end up with OAL between 1.022"-1.030".

I could remove the depriming die. But it just doesn't seem right: why would Lee make a 4-stage progressive press if you have to size/deprime all the brass as a separate step then run it with an empty die station?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Set your seat die with the other stations occupied, not empty.
    This may be the answer. Might be a pain to do though, what with it indexing. I suppose I just don't extend the downstroke to the point where it indexes. Then I'd have to be vigilant when a case fails to feed causing an empty station at the depriming/sizing spot.

Boolit Master
    I am reloading 9mm, brass is sorted by headstamp, already deprimed and sized (although I leave that die in place). The bullet is Lee's TL356-95-RF coated with Smoke's bacon grease.

The variation is from 1.022" to 1.040". If I only run one case at a time on the shell plate, those end up with OAL between 1.022"-1.030".

I could remove the depriming die. But it just doesn't seem right: why would Lee make a 4-stage progressive press if you have to size/deprime all the brass as a separate step then run it with an empty die station?
    Are you seating and crimping in one step, or separate steps? Of one step that may be the problem. I’d also check how the seating stem fits your bullet profile. That design looks like it could go either way to work better with either a stem for SWC or RN. I’d try both styles if you have them. For me I’m pretty ok with +-.003” variance in OAL in pistol ammo.

Boolit Master
    I would be thrilled with + - 0.003" variation!

Boolit Master
    I would be thrilled with + - 0.003" variation!
    Oops, I meant .005”. I hit the wrong button.

Boolit Master
    I experience the same thing on my Lee SS press.

I think when you creep up on seating depth, you get a different depth due to static friction versus moving friction. Little tweak, press, tweak, press results in a different seating depth than when you push the bullet in with one swoop. That alone can easily result in 5 thous difference.

I take measures to get consistent seating depth, including custom fitted seating plugs for different bullet profiles. This difference between the setup cartridge and the ensuing ones seems to be unavoidable.

I still to this day will often set that first cartridge aside, for consistency's sake, after adjusting seating depth. It doesn't go with the rest of the pile/lot.

Boolit Master
    That's .018" of worst case OAL spread, meaning +/- .009" from the middle; individual bullets can vary that much! It's unlikely your die brand or how many dies are screwed into your press or which way ducks may be flying on your reloading day can contribute much to that small difference. Neither our reloading tools nor our components are made with the precision of a Swiss watch ... and they don't need to be.

I have to wonder why and how you chose your desired seating depth. Variations in normal bullet seating effort (so called "bullet tension") due to small differences in case neck hardness, thicknesses and diameter, how consistently we operate the press, how/where we're crimping the bullets, compressed charges, etc., can/will affect OAL. Fact is, handguns and their ammo are not normally considered "high precision" items, thus, IMHO, you're trying to swat meaningless gnats.

If you want better handgun accuracy I suggest you spend more time at your favorite range with the ammo you have, not in your reloading room worrying about trivial OAL variations and die brands.

I turned an early Lee turret press into a trot line weight for just that reason. Just saying!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Not using a lee, but one thing that helped on my progressive with 9mm was using just a little lube on the cases. It really evened out the process and pressure on the shell plate. The OAL and uniformity got a lot better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I turned an early Lee turret press into a trot line weight for just that reason. Just saying!
    I have the 4 hole turret press and I am getting seating variation up to .025, which is frustrating. I was wondering if I needed to get a single stage press for my precise 30-06 loads.

Boolit Buddy
    You may want to look at a single stage press of a different make.

Boolit Master
    I use a four station progressive (Dillon SDB) and also sort brass by head stamp. A recent change to non proprietary dies makes it easier for me to do the sizing, decapping, priming and M die style case expansion as one run, and then actual powder charging, mouth flare, seat and crimping as a second run. I get very good OAL consistency this way, often under +/-.003”.

But I’m not suggesting you change presses or do multiple runs yourself. I’m thinking that JMorris’ suggestion makes the most sense. Each station should have a case in the right expected condition for it, including mouth flare, and a bullet if appropriate. You’ll need extras if you’re actually changing the OAL from what you measure the first time. Once you get what you want for OAL, run a couple more to be sure, then start loading for real, making sure that as completed rounds come out that you set apart the test dummies (mark the last one with a sharpie and watch as it cycles through).

Other things to consider, not necessarily applicable to you, that might increase variation: resistance (when running a progressive, many will use case lube even with carbide dies, both for ease of operation and consistent seating and powder drop), same head stamp (same lot and # of times fired is the ideal), appropriate and CLEAN seating stem for the bullet used, consistent bullets (casting defects, lube or coating unevenness where the seating stem bears could change seating depth), and the force you apply each cycle (at least on mine, even with a limit on the press arm movement, light or heavy force changes the OAL).
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-23-2023 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast