Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Action Army advice

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the clear explanation, 35 Whelen. I’ve never seen the little tab pivoting on mine, but again, I’ve never left it in the safety notch with six in the cylinder. I’ll dig the gun out and see if I can spot it (on an empty cylinder).

The rifles you mention have more metal in the triggers and hammer notches, and would probably have less chance of landing on the hammer if dropped or lost from a saddle scabbard.

I have loaded six from time to time, but, as fatelk mentioned, it’s at the shooting range for immediate use, and generally the last six of the rounds I’ve brought with me.

Ah, that little tab thingy. I got rid of that early on when it engaged during a cowboy action match. Load five here. If it were a life and death bad guy situation, I'd load six and leave it on 1/2 cock.

Boolit Master
    For those that load six only at the range…please consider it isn’t carrying that is the danger. It’s dropping. The range is a very common place to drop guns simply because that’s where they are handled.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

There is no "Foolproof" design ...

Too many Fools out there and they work overtime !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I've mostly used my Uberti Smoke Wagon for Cowboy Fast Draw with wax loads, but it has been pretty solid for me. It came from Taylor's and has the Taylor Tuned™ package, but the ones I've seen straight from Italy rise high above the "crap gun" level. And I don't mind using it for fast draw games and shooting the heck out of it!

I've also fooled around with a Navy Arms Uberti in 32-20. According to Val Forgett, he had his gunsmith tune all of the 32-20s including replacing the springs with new Wolff springs... essentially the same thing as Taylor Tuned. Since they haven't sold any of these @ Navy Arms for nearly 20 years, any suggestion that the earlier models weren't any good seems a little off as well.

My limited experience with Uberti SAAs has all been very positive, but as with all things though, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Yep, I have over 10 Colt SAA’s. As stated before, when at the range and loading for shooting right after I load the gun, I load six. Simply because after the 6th round is loaded, I cock from 1/2 cock to full cock and shoot. No less safe than loading 5.
    BUT for SASS and the very few times I have carried a SAA ( once for deer hunting) it gets loaded with 5 and hammer resting under empty chamber all the way down. I don’t use the safety notch as if dropped, I risk breaking the safety notch and or trigger.
    I am 62 and have enjoy my traditional single actions for more than 45 years and no accidental discharges as of yet.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The safety notch between cylinders on the NAA mini revolvers is an ingenious KISS solution. Surprised nobody has put it on a sixgun yet. Wonder if it would be possible to do it by just creating notches or slots between the chambers?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I completely agree. I've bought a few 3rd Generation Colt's and had every intention of putting them to good use. But oversized throats and oversprung actions that felt as though they were full of sand changed my mind, I left 'em to the collectors. My Uberti's, especially the post-2000 examples, are marvelous shooters.

I've owned over a dozen Uberti's and haven't had a bad one yet. I bought a Ruger Flat Top 5 1/2" .44 Special with every intention of hunting with it, but a homely Uberti in the same caliber took its place. The only thing the Ruger had over the Uberti was much better sights, but that never mattered in the field. But, I really should get the ol' Flat Top out and warm her up a bit!

The peculiar hammer safety to which you refer was/is an ingenious pivoting block. When the hammer was pulled back to the first notch, the trigger sear engaged a pin that actuated the block, which prevented the hammer from falling, like this-

Here's one that I manually engaged with a screwdriver to illustrate how it works-

Were the revolver to be dropped there are actually three points that support the hammer-

This is a shot of the hammer mortise of a Uberti Frisco that I carried and hunted with quite a lot. It had the pivoting hammer block and if one looks just below the firing pin hole, one can clearly see where the hammer block has been resting on the frame.

A pretty much foolproof design IMHO, and all of my Uberti's except one have this and I always load six and trust the design completely.

I used to carry a Uberti .44 Special, which had the traditional 1st notch safety, with six rounds loaded and the hammer in the 1st safety notch, everywhere on my place and out and about. I mean on the tractor, cutting/hauling/stacking firewood, repairing/building barbed wire fence, working cattle, climbing over and through pipe corrals, horseback, etc. etc. and banged that rig and pistol on everything imaginable. It even once, after the hammer thong somehow came loose, fell out of its holster and into the bottom of a hole over which I was leaning, yet not once did I have an unintentional discharge. And if you think about it, how many of us while hunting have chambered a round and used the 1st notch safety on firearms such as '73, '92, '94 and '97 Rossi's, Uberti's and Winchesters, or any longarm with an external hammer? We've all seen the broken safety notches on Colt SA hammers and I used to have a couple of photos of hammers out of '94 Winchester whose safety notches were broken. I strongly suspect they, like the safety notches of the Colt hammers, were broken when the trigger is pulled while the safety notch is engaged.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, to each his own and we should all do what works best for each of us!

35W
    WOW!!!.....Thank you,Case Closed.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The safety notch between cylinders on the NAA mini revolvers is an ingenious KISS solution. Surprised nobody has put it on a sixgun yet. Wonder if it would be possible to do it by just creating notches or slots between the chambers?
    The Ruger old model army had those, it works great.

So. would it be possible to just make some recesses between the chambers for the firing pin to rest in with the hammer all the way down? Or would the lockwork prevent this from working?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    FergusonTO35, yep. It’s been done. Still didn’t keep Ruger from getting sued.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04C757BD-BA16-49B7-B71E-6F60E2A76C5C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	309978
    It works and I’ve used it occasionally. But just from habit I load 5.

Boolit Master
    On the Colt SAA and clones in 45 Colt, and the other large rimmed cases there is not enough room between the case rims in line with the primers for the hammer to rest. I have tried and find it doesn’t take much of a jiggle to skate the firing pin over a primer. Actually i should say to skate the cylinder so it rotates and lets the firing pin contact a primer. The 357s can let the firing pin rest between the case rims much like the Ruger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5EDEE2A-3AB3-4BA5-9D54-56E522EC86D4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	309979
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 01-31-2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Cause I suck at proof reading.

Thanks for the good explanation and pics,!

Boolit Grand Master

I have an Uberti Artillery SA with the safety block. I carry it with 6 rounds loaded w/o qualms. My Uberti "Evil Roy" SA and Hawes Western Marshal are, however, standard Colt replicant actions so they get carried with 5 rounds, hammer down on empty chamber. My 4 Ruger SAs all have the transfer bar system same as my Ruger, S&W and Colt DAs so they are carried with 6 rounds. My older DA revolvers w/o the transfer bar have hammer blocks so are carried with all chambers loaded.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Don’t know if it’s true or not but I’ve heard that notches were sometimes filed on the rim of two adjacent cartridges so that the firing pin could rest in the recess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12