MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Your suggestions on 357 heavy bullet load at Cowboy velocities..

Smile Your suggestions on 357 heavy bullet load at Cowboy velocities..

I am trying to dial in a fixed sight Charter Arms 357 (six inch barrel) and my 38 Specials (158 grain, 4 grains Unique) are hitting about 5 inches too low on a 50ft target. I'm thinking a heavier bullet (approx. 180gr cast) might increase the dwell time in the barrel. Not looking for Magnum velocities more of a Cowboy load.
    What do you guys think? Any suggestions/shared experiences are appreciated, thank you.

Boolit Master
    It’s an easy test. Just load up some 180g bullets and take them out and try them. Load the lightest “book” load and see where they hit. I’m pretty sure they’ll go higher. If they’re too high just increase the powder charge until you hit POI. Another thought is to use what you have and try some Bullseye powder at minimum charge. Last, file the front sight down a little at a time until you hit where you want.

Thanks NSB, trying to avoid the front sight filing as this was a "prototype" barrel Charter built awhile ago. Bought it for the "Indiana Jones" look! LOLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CA 357.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	309585

Boolit Master
    Sam, what’s just a bit “off” here is that you’re hitting low with your .38spl load. It’s been my experience that when I shoot 38spl loads out of any of the many .357mag revolvers I own, or owned, they hit high. Reason being that 38spl loads are basically slower than 357mag loads and have more dwell time in the barrel. The factory considers that and makes the sight on a fixed sighted gun to accommodate that. Looking through my Lyman manuals I see that you can go as low as 3.4/3.5 grains of Unique powder. Have you tried going lower with the Unique powder you’re using? That should increase “dwell” time.

Boolit Grand Master

Try 3.5 gr of Bullseye under your 158 gr bullet. Not a "cowboy load" but more of a factory duplication load which is probably what your revolver is regulated for. I did an extensive test of most "cowboy" level loads + factory "cowboy" loads in 32 up through 45 Colt cartridges in numerous revolvers for VV, Powder River Cartridge and Laser Cast. All of the "cowboy loads" hit low. Thus, I doubt you'll find a "cowboy load" that will regulate. Going to a heavier bullet may but the recoil also will increase negating the "cowboy load" recoil level. Best to simply go with what the revolver is more than likely regulated to.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Haven't tried that yet! Now on the "schedule"!

Thanks Larry! Ran some 148 HBWC/Bullseye 3gr. still a little low...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charter Arms 148 HBWC 3gr. Bullseye 001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	309586
    Going to try it in 357 Magnum range albeit on the lower velocity range.

Boolit Master
    Best to simply go with what the revolver is more than likely regulated to.[/QUOTE]

It should be regulated to .357mag loads since that’s what the OP says the gun is. It should be shooting high, not low with 38spl loads. His options are pretty much using a heavier bullet or less powder with the bullet he’s using.

Boolit Master
    There IS also the old 200 gr. .38 Spl. "police" load. Talk about your "dwell time"...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting gun! I'd try 3.0 grains of Bullseye, Titegroup, or 700X or 3.3 grains of HP38/WW231 with your 180 grain boolit. Alternatively, take a fine paint brush and put a white line on the front sight about .007 from the top and use that for your sight picture with your 158 grain load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.