Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resurecting the STG44 - Haw you guys seen this!

Boolit Master

Never could understand the "stacking hook" protrusion or what ever it is called, that is located above the gas piston. I realize you can gain access to the gasport area by turning it out and removing it, but what the is the need for the long pin-like protrusion.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am ignorant of the platform.

For the most part, my guns are tools but I have a couple that have sentimental value.

Put aside the "cool" factor and answer a question.

What will it do that cannot be done in an AR at half the cost?
    Absolutely nothing, but that's not why one would want an STG 44 anyways. Cool IS the *factor* of the rifle.

Boolit Master

For the most part, my guns are tools but I have a couple that have sentimental value.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings on that line of thinking. While I generally agree from a practical standpoint there are much better options out there. But I also wouldn't give up my 1911A1 just because I have a nice Kimber. Some guns, whether they be 1911A1s, M1 Carbines, SKSs, STGs or even most BP Rifles/Pistols, don't have a lot of practicality today. But that doesn't mean we don't enjoy them, or they can't be used. But the price has to be something to make them relevant. At $1800, sure some people will buy them. I probably wouldn't be a buy until it came down pretty considerably.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I would love to shoot one before I invested in one. They are cool.

Boolit Buddy
    The originals have a unique sound of the action working. The tilting bolt design gives a kind of clacking to the action and in some cases the recoil spring can be heard (since it's in the buttstock) similar to an AR at times. I don't know whether Palmetto's version copies the original design in these regards.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am very well set for my hunting, self-defence, and plinking needs/wants, but always interested in learning more about different guns and reevaluating my choices.

I understand "neat toys" as I indulged that weakness over many decades. Then realized most of the toys either rarely or never got shot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Given the evolved state of the AR and ubiquity of its accessories, practicality has nothing to do with this one. Very cool in that a semi auto replica is really the only way to keep that bit of history alive, and clever that they made the minor tweaks they did to accept more common ammo, limited choices of optic, and modern muzzle devices so that you aren't TOTALLY painted into a 1945 corner.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I don't know whether it's available these days, but back in the 1990's, I went to a Knob Creek MG shoot to gaze and drool at all the stuff I could see there that I'd have to have multiple forunes to afford. Pretty amazing, actually. One of the things I was surprised to see was newly produced 8mm Kurz by some company I can't remember the name of in Portugal, FNM or something like that, along with many other military calibers. It was FMJ, non-corrosive, boxer primed, cases of it. I almost bought a 20 round box just for the heck of owning such a curiosity. It was interesting to me that the .473" case head diameter was retained when producing the rifles and designing the cartridge, no doubt as a manufacturing shortcut in such a hard-pressed time that late in the war. I thought it opened the door to some very interesting wildcat possibilities.

Boolit Bub
    The Portuguese FNM 7.9x33 was produced by PPU with the FNM head-stamp, and is still available today with the PPU head-stamp. Regards, JH

Boolit Master

It's not about function. Nobody is arguing that it is a superior firearm, or has any real practical use. It's about history. This gun was arguably one of the most pivotal moments in modern firearm history. This was the first real "assault rifle". The grandfather to the AK-47, SKS, AR-15, and the rest. Up until now, the only way to own one was to fork over $60K for a select fire original.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12