Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurecting the STG44 - Haw you guys seen this!

Boolit Master

Resurecting the STG44 - Have you guys seen this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWt_x22nwjk&t=73s

This is one of the most exciting things I've seen is a long time. Palmetto State Armory is bringing back a nearly perfect clone. Even chambered in 8MM Kurtz!
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 01-22-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I just stumbled onto this yesterday. The STG44 truly was an "assault rifle." I don't own any semi-automatic rifles but this is one that I would like to have.

I got to hold and examine an original once. The chamber had been welded full. Interesting but not my thing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I got to hold and examine an original once. The chamber had been welded full. Interesting but not my thing.
    A one up on you. Had a friend years ago in North Carolina who owned a gun range. He had an original still in shooting form; allowed me to shoot it once. Always an enjoyable time to tie back to history through physical items.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Had one in our SF Battalion arms room. Shot it several times. Comparable in accuracy and controllability to an actual AK47 [milled receiver].
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    I find it interesting, but I honestly don't have a practical use for one. I'd like to examine and fire one, just for the perception of history, though.

Old70

Boolit Master
    I wonder what they'll want for one? Are there enough still-functional magazines around to not make new ones cost a young fortune?
    This is also a "perfect storm" POOR time in history to re-introduce a new (but old) caliber to the ammunition market. Can anyone spell ".30 Super Carry"? Sure! I KNEW y'could!
    It'd take more work than I'D want to invest, but at least the brass can be made from many other rounds.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I would be interested in one in 5.56mm, which is on the list, but it won't looks as close to the original. I have heard this particular version is more visually "off" that the GSG 22lr STG44, (which my son is quite fond of), but fewer and fewer people are alive who have shot or even seen one in person to compare.

Boolit Bub
    I own an original that I shoot from time to time. I used to have to make cases which was quite a chore, but re-loadable brass has been available for some years now. They are easy to load for and fun to shoot. Finding all the fired cases can be a chore though! Regards, JH

Boolit Master
    I did see the Shot Show video where they were discussing it. Personally, I think it's cool that they plan on bringing out the OG Rifle Line - I am hoping they decide to release some new SKSs - Imagine have some really nice US made SKS variants... But I have mixed feelings about the STG. I like the idea of it, but I also feel like the switch to a different caliber forces us into a position where we have to pick a variety of cartridges which don't feel right for the rifle itself. I suppose if I were to buy one I'd want it in 30 HAM'R, since that would likely be the most comparable cartridge to the 8mm Kurtz besides the 7.62x39, which just seems completely out of place in that rifle. However, I think we all know that probably won't happen. I'll have to see what calibers they actually offer it in before I can give a definitive answer to how I feel about the rifle.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

large article on them in the 2023 Gun Digest -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Privi partisan are making 7.92x33 brass loaded ammo.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Buddy
    Magazines for originals are running in the $500. each range. Kurtz round would be fine but .300 Blackout sounds like a better prospect. 7.62X39 would require a more curved mag to be reliable I would think. They are a fun gun to shoot and are fairly controllable in FA fire. Semi is no problem. I'm still running through a quantity of WWII and post war East German ammo that is still very reliable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I wonder what they'll want for one? Are there enough still-functional magazines around to not make new ones cost a young fortune?
    This is also a "perfect storm" POOR time in history to re-introduce a new (but old) caliber to the ammunition market. Can anyone spell ".30 Super Carry"? Sure! I KNEW y'could!
    It'd take more work than I'D want to invest, but at least the brass can be made from many other rounds.
    They are offering it in 5.56, .300 BLK, 7.62x39, and Kurtz. They are making their own magazines, so original prices are irrelevant. The only people who will buy the 8MM are hand loaders. Brass, dies, and bullets are easily available. I was told the MSRP is around $1,800, so I'd expect $1,500 in a year or so.

Boolit Master
    WELL, if all those things are true, I'M prolly gonna need one, eventually!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    WELL, if all those things are true, I'M prolly gonna need one, eventually!
    Ditto! I'll have my wallet out in a flash.

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Bit pricey for my taste. I really can't see buying one in 5.56. 7.62x39 I already have a SKS plus a handi rifle. Also have .300BO handi rifle. The 8mm Kurtz is interesting but not interesting enough to get around the price tag. While I agree that it is cool, I think I can live without this one.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

It's PSA, you'll never see it for sale, EVER. Just like the MP5 they were supposed to sell.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am ignorant of the platform.

For the most part, my guns are tools but I have a couple that have sentimental value.

Put aside the "cool" factor and answer a question.

What will it do that cannot be done in an AR at half the cost?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am ignorant of the platform.

For the most part, my guns are tools but I have a couple that have sentimental value.

Put aside the "cool" factor and answer a question.

What will it do that cannot be done in an AR at half the cost?
    Bingo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast