WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: best case for cast bullets

Boolit Buddy

best case for cast bullets

Has there been a discussion on the best handgun or even rifle brass based on the case inside diameter? Should the case inside diameter only by say .001" less than the cast bullet size .001" so at most, the swaged cast bullet is the same or slightly more than the bore? Without using a neck sizing mandrel and relying on sizing a case only, the ID will vary based on the wall thickness. And so, this ID dependent on the case manufacturer will affect accuracy?

Boolit Master

I think you are standing at the mouth of a huge rabit hole. I don't recall this specific topic in the past so, why not now? I don't ever size bullets unless I have to to chamber. This is mostly in old rifles. In rifles neck tension comes into play at the higher accuracy end. Neck turning will help that. I think that 0.001" might allow bullets to shift under recoil if not crimped. I think you might want to separate rifles from pistols now as there are loading techniques etc that are standard but different. good night

Boolit Master
    I think what you need to look into is bore-riders and whether your bullets have a driving band forward of what is in the case. That is, if he part forward of the case fits the bore well (slightly larger) I'm not sure the smaller diameter inside the case is much of an issue. All the bullets I make have a portion that is sized to where I want them and which never gets pushed into the case mouth, so the part that engages the rifling first is not influenced by the ID of the brass case.
    Hick: Iron sights!