WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Small Radius Firing Pin Stop for Browning Hi Power

Boolit Master

Small Radius Firing Pin Stop for Browning Hi Power

I haven't been able to come up with much trying to research this.

For 1911s, a common thing seems to be to replace the stock firing pin stop with a small radius (or flat bottom, which the user makes the radius they want) firing pin stop. Examples are from EGW and Wilson Combat. The purpose mainly appears to be to delay unlocking and slowing down slide velocity, and also reducing felt recoil.

Does such a part exist for the Hi Power?

My only interest is in reducing battering of the slide and frame, and possibly the barrel, when shooting +P loads. For me, reducing felt recoil in a 9mm Hi Power is certainly not a priority.

Not a huge deal since I don't shoot a lot of +P ammo in my Hi Power. But I thought if such a part existed, it might be interesting to try it out and see how it changed the dynamics of my gun. Of course, if I didn't see any benefit, out it would come and the stock part would go right back in.

Has anyone here seen, or have experience with aftermarket firing pin stops in the Hi Power?

Boolit Master
    It's been several days without any reply on this one. I guess this just isn't a thing on the Hi Power?

I would think it would be a good thing to do to help limit wear and tear from +P ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never used one on any of the 1911A1's that I have owned or had custody of, and am not really sure they are needed. This part may be closely related to fishing lures, i.e. it is designed to catch more fishermen than fish.

With that said, if you really want to try it for a Hi Power-- You may have to make your own.

It has been a few decades since I had a Hi Power apart so I don't clearly remember the firing pin stop, but it should be simple to file one out of steel after drilling the correct sized hole for the firing pin.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Never owned a 1911. However, I've had a HP since the mid 70's. Shot over 6000 handloaded (P+) jacketed rounds before switching to cast. Never kept track of the amount of cast bullets I shot in it with 5 grains of Unique. Nary a hiccup. It's like a Timex. Only thing I did with the HP was install a Cylinder and Slide ambidextrous safety and get rid of the magazine disconnect............for a better trigger pull. And clean after every range session.

Winelover.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, sounds like it just isn't necessary then on the 9mm Hi Power.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Thanks guys, sounds like it just isn't necessary then on the 9mm Hi Power.
    I do have a flat base stop in both my 38 super/9x23 government model as well as my delta elite. I use it to balance timing in the higher pressure loads using a 25 lb mainspring in both. I dont know if it helps or reduces battering on the frame/lugs, but the concept gives me peace of mind shooting heavier loads out of al three calibers. I shoot mostly 180-200 grain out of my Delta at 1200-1300 fps for the 180 and 1100-1200 for the 200's. It shows no signs of abuse on the stock barrel, slide, or frame.

I have reduced the hammer spring in my hi power to 24 lbs, so I would also like to obtain a flat base, or very small radius stop for my hi power.
    Last edited by herman07; 03-27-2023 at 12:48 AM.