Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Remington 700 "plastic" stock bedding

Boolit Buddy

Remington 700 "plastic" stock bedding

Does anyone have knowledge of a bedding compound that will bond and add structural integrity to a Remington plastic 700 stock? I've tried a test patch with JBweld on a roughed up spot but was easily flicked off. I am a long time user of Acraglass,but don't have any as of now and seems to be a rare item. Thanks, lreed

Boolit Grand Master

I just rebedded one of my Model 7's with PC-7 epoxy. Rough the bedding surface with 80 grit, clean and degrease, then bed. Of course you'll need a good coat of paste wax to insure it releases.

PC-7 is a very thick paste and it will not, run or sag.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

No epoxy will bond to a thermoplastic but you can do it like stubshaft above and create a mechanical lock to get it to hold. If you can swing it you're miles ahead starting with a real stock that can be properly bedded.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the Devcon products may bond but if not that’s fine. I would include drill holes as well to create a mechanical hold between epoxy and stock. Consider adding pillars as well if the stock doesn’t have them already.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    One of the Devcon products may bond but if not that’s fine. I would include drill holes as well to create a mechanical hold between epoxy and stock. Consider adding pillars as well if the stock doesn’t have them already.
    Drilling is the only way I have ever tried that worked. It makes a mechanical lock that will stay put.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I still have a cheap plastic stock in my closet for my Lee Enfield 4 mk 1*.
    I used it for hunting.
    I bedded the receiver and nose end of the stock with mechanically attached JB Weld epoxy.
    I just drilled several holes into the areas of bedding on a little bit of an angle.
    The bedding has stayed out and makes the stock fit the receiver much better.
    I left the original stock in the original form to retain the collectors price if I ever sell the rifle.
    But that cheap plastic stock , especially bedded was great to take hunting since it is lighter and more modern shaped.

Boolit Grand Master
    Everybody beat me to it. Create the mechanical lock & you're done.

Boolit Master
    i'll add using a dremel tool with burrs to gouge into everything that will have bedding material around it

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks y'all for the info,appreciate very much!! lreed