Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Turkey fryer burner

Turkey fryer burner

Today I latched onto a turkey fryer burner at the local salvage yard for 5 bucks.
    Gotta wait till this weekend to get a regulator and tank.

In the mean time I was wondering.
    If you moved the burner unit closer to the bottom of the lead pot, would that be a more efficent way of smelting lead?
    It seems to me that the burner is 6 to 8 inches from the bottom of the supports and heat would be lost, therefore more fuel to heat the lead.

I'm not going to hack it up till I hear from the more experienced people here.

Moderator Emeritus

You will get sooting if your burner is like mine. You should have at least 1" from the top of your flame cone to the bottom of your burner.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man
    I use a burner with a old cast iron pot, for my lead pot. It works great on top the burner with out any modification.

I will be using my cast iron pot on the burner, so I guess I will leave it the way it is.

Now all I need is a pointy hat and a cape and I'll look like a witch stirring my cauldron cackling the whole time.

And believe me, I'd make for one ugly woman.

C heck out Recluse's post on this link, then revise your outfit into a Wizards (or Alchemist's) outfit! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44914
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master
    I use a Harbor Freight "Dutch Oven" for my melting pot. The cover helps to prevent heat loss and speed up the melt as a result.

John

Boolit Man
    The turkey fryer worked just great for smelting with a large Dutch Oven 12-14" but for actual casting I used a plumbers pot on my gas stove inside (with the range hood vent going full blast), not much smell or smoke as I fluxed during smelting and added a couple of old birthday cake candles just to make sure. My wife was gone and when she came back she didn't say anything about the smell, so I guess I'm safe. Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Boolit Master

A watched pot never boils!
    An old adage, but the principle of it applies. Adding an insulative layer to anything heated speeds the effect of the heat. I add covers when I can. It works.