Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it help to lube your pellets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Ok, I never heard of villosity, so checking the definition, yes it did change.
    And lacking desire to have numerical answer, refer you back to about as wet brass going into a sizing die.
    Thanks for teaching me a new word.

If you meant velocity, I did not check. There are so many variables with lube quantity on the pellet, and in the barrel, atmospheric pressure, humidity. My interest is shooting, obsessing over a few feet per second detracts from that.

yea, looked wrong when I typed that...
    Just asking if chronograph'ed for a difference in "velocity" that's all, not obsessing over a few fps like most reloaders.

No need to respond here, you are wasting your wisdom on me.
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It looks like the take away here for spring guns is some kind of lube on the pellets helps stop leading . So , are any of the lead pellets lubed from the factory ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have never done this. It sounds like a good way to get oil all over your nice gun.

Pellets don't need lube. I never cleaned the barrel on my first HW35 until a few years ago. It had literally thousands of rounds thru it. There was No Leading, and for that matter a couple of dry patches weren't very dirty at all.

I don't know what is expected from doing this. Anything you hit with a lubed pellet is not going to know the difference, Especially a paper target or a tin can! Greasy fingers and guns don't really go together.

My .02!

RAndy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Greasy fingers and guns don't really go together.
    Doesn’t sound like you’ve ever shot any premium rimfire ammo such as Eley, RWS, Wolf, etc. The biggest complaint from most people is that it’s too greasy. However, those top brands and a few other are very greasy. Seems to be a good combo. As for air guns, some Brits lube their pellets and claim they get better accuracy. I’m getting great accuracy without lubing so I’m not really interested in trying. Back to greasy fingers and guns…..they do seem to go together in the world of rimfire competition. Probably where they got the idea it might help pellet rifles?

Boolit Master
    I say it depends on the pellet. Some are softer than others. I do not lube them. I do lube slugs and find that makes a big difference. Not on anything but speed. If I am shooting a slug at 890 lets say none lubed. I can push the same slug to 915-920 lubed without changing the power settings. Some lubes are messy others not so bad.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have never done this. It sounds like a good way to get oil all over your nice gun.

Pellets don't need lube. I never cleaned the barrel on my first HW35 until a few years ago. It had literally thousands of rounds thru it. There was No Leading, and for that matter a couple of dry patches weren't very dirty at all.

I don't know what is expected from doing this. Anything you hit with a lubed pellet is not going to know the difference, Especially a paper target or a tin can! Greasy fingers and guns don't really go together.

My .02!

RAndy
    With a lower velocity springer and using pure lead pellets you are likely correct. There will be no leading. PCP's running at higher velocities are different. Also, there may be an issue using the cheap Crosman pellets that have some antimony in the alloy that supposedly can produce a "wash" at higher velocities.
    Don Verna

For whatever reason mine will lead a bit ..... enough to change the point of impact . I put five drops of Ben's liquid lube in with fifty pellets . They are drying now , got the barrel clean ..... again and I'll try them next .

I notice Stoeger pellets appear copper plated maybe that will maintain accuracy .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I use a little Hex. Boron Nitride (98%), put a little in the tin and rotate slowly, it's a super fine powder so no oil/grease and in this application I don't think anything else is better.
    On a PCP .30 cal I got an increase in velocity using it.
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 05-15-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are pellets ever coated with wax like 22s? Do pellet guns ever have problems with leading ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Are pellets ever coated with wax like 22s? Do pellet guns ever have problems with leading ?
    My .30 cal runs a 47 grain lead pellet at 1,050fps and will leave residue over time (but not with hBN).
    The Break barrel .177 is running 1,200fps.
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 05-17-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    I use a little Hex. Boron Nitride (98%), put a little in the tin and rotate slowly, it's a super fine powder so no oil/grease and in this application I don't think anything else is better.
    On a PCP .30 cal I got an increase in velocity using it.

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I don't know what they may or may not be coated with . I have one of the Stoeger brands that appears to be copper plated .

My rifle has a problem with leading and that's why I tried a little Ben's liquid lube on the pellets . Three different brands of lead now with the added lube and it seems to work .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Most oils or waxes would diesel in a spring gun. Even in a very weak 300 fps spring pistol, I found a bit of light oil on a pellet would leave a puff of smoke in the bore. That can't be good for accuracy. And any leftover bits from combustion might build up in the bore.

The amount of Ben's lube I use is one drop for every ten pellets . Procedure is , count the pellets , put drops into plastic container , add pellets gently away from the lube , slowly move container to get pellets to roll into the lube .

Accuracy is good perhaps less lube could be used and get the same result .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12