WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: WST and WSF loads in .32 H&R Magnum

Boolit Master

WST and WSF loads in .32 H&R Magnum

While I was rooting around in my powder cabinet, I came across a couple pounds of unsullied WST and WSF. In spite of my best efforts, I didn't find much data other than autoloader calibers and a couple for 38 special. I am curious if anyone has tried either of these powders in a .32 mag? I know where it falls in the burn rate chart but I'm hesitant to extrapolate the numbers. As to cast bullets, I like the 322 and 325 Saeco and the Lyman 3118. In jacketed, Hornady XTP. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I found reloading data for WSF on the Hodgdon reloading website, but nothing for WST. I'm at a loss to understand why no data for WST was developed for the .32 H&R. Winchester touts WST as being "ideal for use in .45 AUTO match applications".
    Data for WST in .45 ACP seems to develop pressures that are comparable with .32 H&R loads using other propellants, so I am unable to explain.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy

WST does work well in 45 ACP target loads and I have had good luck using it in 32 S&W Long. WSF is slower burning and it would probably develop a little more velocity if that is what you prefer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    WST was the replacement for 452AA and in most pistol calibers can be safely loaded weight for weight with 231 data.

I like 8.5 grains of it in .30-'06 with Accurate 31-155D plainbased bullet for a 100 yard Junior training load.

Same charge is fine in .44 Magnum with Acccurate 43-215C.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used 3.2 gr of WST in my Ruger Single Six [original run] 32 H&R in Starline cases with WSP primers with the Lee 314-90-SWC seated to and lightly crimped in the first lube groove. Not pressure tested but the velocity runs just over 1000 fps out of the 6 1/2" barreled revolver. That is pretty much equal toa 3.2 gr load of Bullseye.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thank you gentlemen for the help.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB