RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I for one don't mind paying extra for a quality rifle that I really like. You want a cheap rifle that performs well, go buy a Savage Axis (I got one and love it). In any event, today's cheap MOA bolt actions are the reason the economy lever actions and single shots are gone. Adjusted for inflation, they actually cost alot less than the latter two did and it's pretty hard to argue with how well they shoot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The price of guns relative to my income really hasn't increased much at all in my 44 years on planet Earth. Sure, I could buy a new 336 or 94 for $250.00 in the late 90's but that was still more than a week's pay for me back then.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Marlin, very happy about Ruger making them now. I do have the Trapper model made by Ruger. I have been waiting and waiting for a new 1894 made in 44 Mag but tired of waiting and bought the Henry (just like a Marlin) in steel receiver yesterday. So my waiting is over and Marlin lost on that rifle.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master

If they would produce a 41 magnum !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    All I can say is, it's good that somebody is making Marlins again and they seem to really care about what they are doing. What kills me is how Winchester has turned out alot of crudely made junk over the years but people just give them a pass. And they still refuse to address the light strikes on their otherwise very nice rifles that cost four figures.
    The firing pin with four parts (if you don't count the roll pins) . The spring loaded plunger and cam, and on top of that it is an inertia firing pin, ridiculous . My 1886 Winchester had a trigger pull of over 10lbs ! Make them the way John Moses Browning designed them.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    The firing pin with four parts (if you don't count the roll pins) . The spring loaded plunger and cam, and on top of that it is an inertia firing pin, ridiculous . My 1886 Winchester had a trigger pull of over 10lbs ! Make them the way John Moses Browning designed them.
    This 100%. You charge somebody outrageous money and then include an absolutely horrid design in the deal. They already put a manual safety on the thing, give it a real firing pin. You know, like every bolt action under the sun!

Boolit Master
    ��
    I would certainly buy at least one in .41Magnum.

All of the past variations are possible, but the basics have to get up and running first. I am pretty sure that all reasonable calibers will be included. Previously all these guns were all done in batches, and sold to outfits like Davidson's, Lipsey's and others as "Specials". Typically it is a 500 piece run, and places like Lipsey's and Davidson's get special calibers and finishes that are not available elsewhere.

If you remember the Ruger Flattop Bisley's in .44 Special, were made for Lipsey's. I got one of the first run of them which sold out in 2 days! Then they made another 500 and those sold out in about a week. There is a market for "Special Items." But you have to be ready to buy 500 or it won't happen. Obviously if you feel the market is there you would be willing to make that commitment.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

So we'd need to get a group buy together. 500 1894 41Mag CBs, 24" octagon barrel.
    Guessing here at least $500@, hmmmmmm gents, think we can raise $250,000?
    I may be way off on the initial cost, but it's a thought.
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Probably more like $700 ea.? Just a guess. Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Cast boolits edition!

I got to handle a new Ruger made 1895 trapper and if I wanted a 16" 45/70 I'd of bought it. Only one of the Rugers I've seen. I get the slow rollout, but it is stil frustrating. I have a couple 336's but would add a SS 30/30, a 35rem, 375Win or 38/55. Only have one 1894 in 44 mag, but would add an octogon barrel 44mag and a 357. Looking forward to seeing them on the shelf which will likely take a while.

Sure would love to see the 1895 CBA come back!

Now here's a question, can you hammer forge an octagon barrel?
    Thinking about it, it might be impossible. Or do you you start oversize and then machine flats?
    And I agree with Randy, $700-$800 is likely a more realistic price. Still, I'm thinking the demand is out there,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    I have a little plastic bag in my parts drawer with the excess bits in from a Browning model 71 (late 1990's so pre the tang safety)
    The stupid part of it is - its impossible to fire JMB's design (1886,71,1892) unless the locking bolts are almost fully home and the lever almost fully closed - the Japanese built in a second version of what was already part of the design and in the process incorporated a fault that could get someone killed - being that the 86 and 71 were guns to be used on big angry critters that bite back on occasion.

I left the rebound spring at the front of the firing pin in my 71 when I fixed it but it should be in the little bag too

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    Thinking about it, it might be impossible. Or do you you start oversize and then machine flats?
    And I agree with Randy, $700-$800 is likely a more realistic price. Still, I'm thinking the demand is out there,,,,,,,,,
    somebody has to put 300k on the table ahead of time --with guns flying off the shelf as fast as they come in the door anyway --unlikely it will happen.
    I dunno - not a marlin fan - no reason - just is what happened along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    People are already happy to pay that much for a deluxe Rossi, and more than that for an Italian import. At $700-800 real world price Ruger won't be able to make them fast enough.

"somebody has to put 300k on the table ahead of time" indian joe

Chump change for a hedge fund manager.

I just hope they'll make a 22" "regular" model 1895 .45-70

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    People are already happy to pay that much for a deluxe Rossi, and more than that for an Italian import. At $700-800 real world price Ruger won't be able to make them fast enough.
    That’s what I thought!

$7-800 for a 41 mag lever seems too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast