WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    A 336 CB in .38-55 would be nice, maybe in a few years Davidson's will offer some nice variations like in the past.
    Yeah that’s what I want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    the only reason I ever bought an AR was when ruger entered the market with a great piston operated example and they did things right, at least most of the time. the only time ive seen a new ruger that was off is when I went to buy a new, brand new, double action stainless 327 fed mag. the barrel was screwed up and had been dented with vise marks. no thank you, I do not own a 327 fed mag.
    the questions on my mind right now is at what price will these new marlins be retailing for? and if ruger starts making marlins better than ever before, will they try to produce new 39a's? and I have faith they will do things right, will my old ugly marlins go back to being $200 guns. maybe I better sell the ones I have now before the "jm" market crashes
    I have a friend that had a sit down lunch with one of the Ruger reps. last Fri. I believe.
    The 39's will not be made as they would be to expensive to make according to that rep.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master

Used to be able to pick up a rusty bore 36 or 336 cheap Send it to JES Reboring and for about $250 have a great cast shooter. Or a .414 Super Mag with a little tinkering Or a .412-444 (405 JES).
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the short term, the hoopla that will accompany the relaunch of the 1894's will cause the price of the older JM's to bump up a bit. People will want the rifle, but Ruger will not be able to meet demand.

I have an 1894 I was planning to sell and am now wondering if I should wait a couple of months.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Everybody and their dog commented......... Funny stuff.
    I better get in on this.

Overpriced is all I am going to say.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Banned

if the prices resemble the 4570 prices ive seen on those ruger produced guns they can keep them. Im sure not paying north of 1500 bucks for lever gun. That ridiculous. Make them at half that price and they will come. Leave them that high and what will happen is nobody will buy them and the whole project with marlins at ruger will come crashing down. Same thing happened with there #1s. They got so proud of them that they priced them higher than what sane people would pay and you can see where that project is today. Heck id even be alot more apt to buy a #1 for 1500 bucks then a 94 marlin. Add to that ive always chuckled at the people who think ruger firearms are some high grade gun. Ive had more junk from ruger then all the other manufactures combined. If they like someone said really care about what there making that would have never been the case. Since Bill died that company has been run by bean counters just like rem, win and all the rest of them. Sorry if im skeptical but ive just seen to much junk get by there quality control inspectors.

Lloyd: the Marlin project is being ran in a completely different factory, by a completely different crew. They are trying to make guns where there is no" hand fitting" required. With the machinery that has been available for the last 30+ years this should have happened long ago. If the Parts go together on paper (Or in the computer) If they follow the drawings they will go together in the real world. If you compare the price of these guns to what Winchester and Henry is offering they are right in line and the quality is right there.

I just got thru looking at every manufacturer of Levergun Products at the SHOT Show. Prices and quality of manufacture are similar . Ruger Management is well aware of past quality issues and they are determined to not let that go forward into the Marlin Line. By the same token if anybody thinks that every single gun will be perfect, they are living in LALA Land. All Manufacturers of anything experience production issues. The key to success is to get the Percentage of crap that goes out the door down to as close to zero as possible. Sometimes you can't see flaws with the naked eye.

I worked for a Company called Gaiser Tool Company. We made the little Ultrasonic Bonding Tools that stick the wires onto computer chips. We had a 90+% Market Share because every tool we shipped was perfect. That doesn't mean that every tool we made was perfect. But our scrap rate was only about .01-.02% We just had ways to inspect and cull during the production of the tools. At the end of the line there were no culls left.

However these tools were one piece and had no moving parts. They were also .0622-4 in diameter and .375 or .437 long so everyone was looked at under a microscope during and after every operation. Obviously with that much scrutiny you can achieve zero defects before they are packaged. Coors bought us out.

Guns aren't like that, so the Engineering must be a little more comprehensive. But if the Engineering is complete then every part should fit and work with every other part the same way every time. Tolerances well in excess of what was common 30-40 years ago will allow this to happen, and if those parts fit perfectly and are 100% interchangeable, then the end result will be perfect!

The only thing that gets in the way of this is "HUMAN HANDS"!!! And this has been the problem with making guns for as long as we've been making guns. The less Human Hands touch a gun the better off it will be, and the cheaper it will be as well.

What the machine shop of the future will look like will be the "Replicator" from Star Trek. No Human intervention whatsoever from start to finish and perfection occurs every time. It will happen within the next 50 years.

We won't see it! Which is fine with me.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    People are too happy to pay even more than $1500 for Japanese Winchesters in spite of the light strike gremlins that have dogged them for decades. Henry can't keep up with demand no matter how hard they try and many of their rifles aren't much cheaper. Ruger would really have to foul it up for the Marlin relaunch not to be successful.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    With the utmost respect, I would say that those who have not actually handled one are really not qualified to pass judgement on quality.

I'd also say that to make statements that they won't sell at that price is clearly incorrect given the apparent difficulty in sourcing one. Not to mention that pretty much everything is seems to be considerably more expensive than 5-10 years ago. So 1200 dollars today is getting you what was 800 dollars 5-6 years ago. This not a political statement, it's the same the world over. It's just a fact. If you want primers, it's gonna be at least 8 cents per . If you want powder, it's going to be at $40 a pound and up. Some of us are lucky enough to still have a good stock of components from when things were cheaper, but today, they cost what they cost, and the stuff is not languishing on the shelf.

I remember just 4-5 years ago getting a model 36 and a 336 off Gunbroker for barely $200 each (one might have been even less). Both were beaters but worked and shot perfectly. Due to my stunning lack of foresight, sold the 36. Had intended to reblue it etc but just had too many projects and could not close the safe. My goodness, that thing had a slick action too. Nearly 80 years of being worked had kinda smoothed it up I guess!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Im still waiting to walk into a gunshop and see a ruger marlin 45-70 on the shelf.��
    Why wait, just like all the rest go to gunbroker and buy one OVER-priced right now. Problem is people with more money/ego than brains actually pay those prices. Ego? I got one and you dont internet hero. My LGS hasn't got one yet!
    Oh! and with the 1894's showing up in spring of '23, well they say there going to be produced anyway, I cant wait to get one, and all of you to, in, here we go, 32/20, 25-20 (even with no ammo to be found or even the thought of producing), 218 BEE, 38/40, 44/40, a dedicated 38 Special, 32 H&R, 327 federal (maybe), 45 COLT, and on and on and on and on!
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I ought to turn loose of my 1894 in 357. Granted its a Remlin, but I think its one of the last ones as its a decent gun.

Wouldn't mind a 327 or a 38/40

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Used to be able to pick up a rusty bore 36 or 336 cheap Send it to JES Reboring and for about $250 have a great cast shooter. Or a .414 Super Mag with a little tinkering Or a .412-444 (405 JES).
    Years ago I'd remind myself to keep watch for 45-70 Marlins, to find one to rebarrel to this cartridge made for Lyman's #375296... but like so many things I just never got around to it. Would have made a really nice lever action.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reamer.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	310170

Good Cheer,
    Couldn't quite make out the specs on the reamer, what is it? I just bought a set of 38-56 dies to aid in caseforming 45-70
    brass to 33WCF. I'd love to try the cartridge with some modern powders, not enamoured of the Marlins in 45-70,
    to big a loading gate cut-out and not much meat left in the old acme style threads. The Win 1886 is the other obvious
    platform, but then I much prefer the Marlin action simplicity.
    Cheers!
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

It's a 45-70 necked down to .375 with a 9/16" long neck to hold lots of lube grooves.
    The basic idea was to provide enough powder capacity to allow for plenty of (whoooosh!) acceleration without accuracy deleterious plastic deformation on the base of a relatively soft alloy boolit for a flat shooting 200 yard deer rifle. In the 2100-2200 velocity range settled on #375296 turned out to be a flatter shooting design than I'd hoped for, hence having being interested in a lever gun. Figured a Marlin would handle whatever pressures those soft boolits held up to.
    Oh well, still got the No.1 single shot and it's still my favorite rifle, even more than the "Fremont" .69 rifled musket.

W.R.Buchanan, First off all thank you for your contributions to the Ruger project ! I will look forward to seeing them when they are available. I want to replace my 336 micro groove with a better barrel. Will sell the micro groove to help finance the newer Ruger. It is in 30-30.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Good Cheer,
    Ahhh, an "improved" 38-56, what do you do for dies? Courtesy of Wikipedia, the 38-56 WCF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450px-38-56_WCF_dimensions_metallic_2D.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	310177
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Banned

randy ive probably owned at least 30 marlins through the years. From guns made in the late 50s to newer guide guns 444s 336's and 94s and can honestly say ive never had a bad one. So to smoothen out a few parts and sell them for twice the money just isnt getting me to drink the kool-aid. matter of fact while i owned those marlins i had 5 times the troubles with different rugers i owned. Ive seen absolute junk come out of there factory. I once bought a 45 colt bisley vaquaro that the notch in the back strap went from one corner to the other instead of down the middle. Ive owned more dud 77s then good ones. Dont get me started on the older semi autos. even had one of my favorite rifles, a number 1 come defective. It was a 257 roberts 1a. It would fire period and when i got to looking at it the hole for the firing pin in the block was drilled off center so far that the pin didnt even touch the primer. Ive seen some even worse crap get by there quality control people. Then add that they have nobody that actually fixes guns. Send one in and for the most part they just send you a replacement. I have problems believing the same been counters opening a factory that actually cares more about this then the old factory. This isnt Bill Ruger were talking about. By the way in all that time i had problems with various rugers and had no problems with marlins i also didnt have any problems with remington rifles either. Add to that im not the guy that buys a gun and maybe puts 500 rounds through it in a lifetime. Thats just a decent weekend. I have to take it back though. I have had a couple marlin extractors break but those were on guns with LOTS of rounds. Honestly i could give a rip as to what they think there worth. I already have all the marlins and winchesters i need and all of them shoot just fine thank you. i just get a good laugh out of the "ruger bought so now there better" comments you see. thats about like polaris buying out yamaha and people chearing it on saying now we will get better yamahas.

Boolit Bub
    I have to agree with Lloyd in the post above. I have sent back two brand new Rugers in the past 2 years. I ordered them in to my FFL but when I opened the box they were unacceptable.

It's not just Ruger either. I also had to return a brand new Smith and Wesson for an over clocked barrel. When I called Kentucky Gun Company for a return of the new Smith the customer service guy said "I'm not surprised, we get a lot of those."

My hope is that there is so much attention on Ruger's new Marlins that they are paying attention. They must know that one bad batch of rifles will echo across the internet like thunder. Now saying that there is a video on youtube from the guy "target suite" I think it is. He bought a brand new Ruger Marlin in 45-70 and it had an incorrectly machined bolt.

Not a good look.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    All I can say is, it's good that somebody is making Marlins again and they seem to really care about what they are doing. What kills me is how Winchester has turned out alot of crudely made junk over the years but people just give them a pass. And they still refuse to address the light strikes on their otherwise very nice rifles that cost four figures.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

OK guys I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I can only report what I have seen with my own eyes, and what I've seen compared to what I've worked on over the years tells me that the new ones are better made.
    Technology is moving in one direction. That direction is to remove as much of the "Human Touch" as is possible. These new guns are assembled out of parts in bins that are machined, finished and then assembled into working Rifles. They don't require extra work to fit right. They are machined right to begin with! This should have been done 30 years ago.

As I said, the dozen or so of these guns I have personally inspected were so far above anything that has come before it is pathetic.

As far as price? It is, what it is, and you can either pay it or not. But the prices are NOT GOING DOWN so get used to it. This is not Peculiar to these guns either. My lunch at my favorite restaurant just got bumped another $1.20 to $13.95. This is because CA raised the Minimum Wage to $15.50/ hour. The costs for everything are increasing.

Most of you know that I am a Machinist/Toolmaker by trade. As such, my ability to evaluate machined parts is by definition better than people who aren't trained in those trades. I can rework a Marlin action in a little less than 2 hours and it will run as smooth as is possible for this action.

The thing is that the new guns I have had in my hands run nearly as smooth as older ones I have reworked without the rework. My reworking consists of "Detailing" all of the internal parts by knocking off sharp edges and general deburring and I usually put in a Spring Kit from Brownell's for $10.

The Ruger guns already have all the Sharp Edges knocked off, but they don't have weaker springs, because you don't want a misfire when Mr. Bear or Ms. Piggy is charging you !!! That is the only difference in how they compare to reworked or well used older guns.

I am happily paying the $13.95 for my meal because I not only like the food, I also like the people who are making it and want them to stay in business so I can eat there every Wednesday.

I can say the same thing about Ruger, except I don't eat there on Wednesdays.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1900.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast