WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I'm buying antique Marlins at the same price that are far better guns than this new made junk. Good Grief!

What’s junk about the new Rugers? From the review videos I’ve seen on them, the fit and finish looks very good and the action seems to be nice and slick. Also, it seems that the Ruger was designed to allow unloading via the loading gate, which is pretty cool to me.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I'm buying antique Marlins at the same price that are far better guns than this new made junk. Good Grief!
    Honest question: What qualifies a Marlin as "antique" in your view?

No jab, but the Model 1894 44 Rem Mag micro groove I bought new ~ 1992, and sold ~ 1999 had two things going for it: Nice wood, and really great accuracy.
    The negatives were: horribly tool marked bore that took 3-5 days to get copper fouling out of after 30 rounds (Hoppes 9 alternated w/ Sweets), hole machining for fore end cap screw so misplaced that the screw was obviously cocked from external visual inspection and was Very hard to reassemble, a trigger so gritty that it was the first that I ever stoned and then dry fired hundreds of times to get to be acceptable, and burrs on internal parts that would slice your hand open during handling when pulling the bolt for cleaning.

Last I looked at auctions (about 2016) for similar to what I sold in 1999, the prices were $800-900. Can't imagine they are more reasonable now.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Honest question: What qualifies a Marlin as "antique" in your view?

No jab, but the Model 1894 44 Rem Mag micro groove I bought new ~ 1992, and sold ~ 1999 had two things going for it: Nice wood, and really great accuracy.
    The negatives were: horribly tool marked bore that took 3-5 days to get copper fouling out of after 30 rounds (Hoppes 9 alternated w/ Sweets), hole machining for fore end cap screw so misplaced that the screw was obviously cocked from external visual inspection and was Very hard to reassemble, a trigger so gritty that it was the first that I ever stoned and then dry fired hundreds of times to get to be acceptable, and burrs on internal parts that would slice your hand open during handling when pulling the bolt for cleaning.

Last I looked at auctions (about 2016) for similar to what I sold in 1999, the prices were $800-900. Can't imagine they are more reasonable now.
    I have three old marlins at the moment. A M1881 in 40 65 made in 1887, a M1893 in 38 55 made in 1896 and a M1895 in 40 82 made in 1903. Easily superior in quality than any of those clunky modern guns they put out today.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a good look at a couple of the new Ruger Marlins and many of the old ones. I'll take a new one.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master

I'm watching an auction for a 1894C JM Marlin in .357. 15 bids, $1050, and it still has two days to go. Make of that what you will.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As a guy who owns and really likes a nice 1894C, I would not pay that kind of money for it. I would buy a new Henry and still have plenty left over. If the new Ruglins are as good as they are supposed to be and fairly available, I think JM prices are going to soften as people who are practical hunters and shooters are going to buy them instead. I love my JM rifles and own several, but over a grand for a not uncommon rifle in typical used condition with no factory support is not a good deal in my book. And that applies even more to any post-64 Winchester, those things are a real slot machine of problems.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

Sure would be great if they make a 1893 carbine in 38-55 !!! Make it with a half magazine Leave out the lawyer cross bolt safety that usually gets removed. Mount a sling swivel mount on the end of the magazine tube. Perhaps a stainless model with green laminate wood. Great brush buster!!!

I own old Marlins and the New Ruger/Marlin. I think that the New Marlin is every bit as nice and as good quality as the old Marlins and I feel that they may not inherit the Marlin Jam, all though I have never had that problem. But then again I prefer the New Winchester rifles myself. 1892 action.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

I am glad to still have a choice and am thrilled that a quality company like Ruger saved the Marlin brand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I'm watching an auction for a 1894C JM Marlin in .357. 15 bids, $1050, and it still has two days to go. Make of that what you will.
    I have a like new .44 mag JM listed in S&S for $1000. I will likely close the post later today and list it where it will get more interest. Folks here are more sophisticated and know the twist is "wrong". But for the Fudds who shoot 240 gr factory type ammunition it will be good enough.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I am glad to still have a choice and am thrilled that a quality company like Ruger saved the Marlin brand.
    This 100%!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have a like new .44 mag JM listed in S&S for $1000. I will likely close the post later today and list it where it will get more interest. Folks here are more sophisticated and know the twist is "wrong". But for the Fudds who shoot 240 gr factory type ammunition it will be good enough.
    If I was looking for a .44 I would probably try to make a deal for your rifle, since it comes from a known source with a good reputation. Unknown seller on GB, no way.

Boolit Buddy
    I have emails from a local online gun shop... don't know if I can mention them by name....
    If you want a new Ruger made Marlin 1895 SBR, they have some.....

Oh, did I mention they are $2,400?? And this store normally has the lowest prices around... doesn't look like I'll be getting one. I mean, it's not the money.... ok, ok, it's the money.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen the prices over on MarlinOwners? Wow. Granted those are asking and not really selling but some folks think they have gold. Saw another post stating would rather have a Henry than the JM Marlins. I just don't like the Henry for some reason and yes I have a few. Everyone is different.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Have you seen the prices over on MarlinOwners? Wow. Granted those are asking and not really selling but some folks think they have gold. Saw another post stating would rather have a Henry than the JM Marlins. I just don't like the Henry for some reason and yes I have a few. Everyone is different.
    Ron
    The Marlins all seem to start around $800 or so, and that's for the plain jane, run of the mill 336's.... the 1895's are way higher than that, usually $1500 and up.
    Henry's are around $800-ish.
    I have a Henry, steel, side gate, in .357 mag. I am very pleased with it. Smooth, fit and finish are at least as good as any Marlin I've seen.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone here held the new 336 classic or are online dealers just auctioning guns they don't really have yet? I don't expect them to be much different then the 1895s ruger has already made and the price seems high but I guess that's the new normal.

Saw a new 1895 GBL at the fun store today, and it seems to be very well made. Price was $1129.00 and I think that is a good deal for a nice lever action .45-70. Funny how prices on these things are all over the place. So, the standard 1895 should be real world price of less than a grand.

Thing is, the sub-MOA bolt actions have completely displaced the cheap mart grade 336 and 94 as the basic low cost hunting rifle. The last of the latter were made by Remlin, still cost more than the Axis/Compass/783 etc., and were nothing to be proud of. You could tell Remlin did everything they could to keep the price down, and of course the tales of woe surrounding these rifles is the stuff of legend.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah Freakonaleash! The hammer cross bolt safety is a lawyer safety that will only cost you a nice shot at a great buck! That safety can automatically slide across the receiver and block the hammer fall. I have removed plenty of them and replaced them with a pair of spring pins that look like an extra screw in the receiver.

How is the trigger? Is it like Ruger's normal heavy, creepy? Will the rifles still need a trigger job?

Jim

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast