RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang I almost hate lawyers

Dang I almost hate lawyers

I guess these lawyer things are a necessary evil. I just hate to have to use them. Besides costing money, the ones I've used just never get things right. Gave my BIL a small piece of property in MS. Contacted the MS lawyer who we used to help settle mom's estate 3 years ago. He knew the circumstances, had all the paperwork, so it should be easy. He did get paperwork right, but then emailed my brother the documents, not me. While I don't have any problems with my brother knowing about the transaction, it really is none of his business and I'd have preferred to let him know myself at the time if my choosing.

Then the lawyer sends paperwork to my BIL and copy to me saying the taxes were still owed. Paperwork dated Jan 16th. His tax doc he printed was December 12th, and I paid them before the end of the year. Too lazy to reprint or even check online. So my BIL was trying to pay what has been paid. (He got letter on the 17, me today)
    Just hate having to use them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

my experience has been similar, they lie, they assume I am an idiot who can't see they lie, they mail things late and they always want to "go forward" and not waste expensive time correcting the past. And don't assume that the really expensive ones are any better at mailing things promptly or on time at all. And then there are judges, .... And we should talk about the rural post delivery people, .... I wonder if the E vehicle will make it through one days run?

If the lawyer is doing everything himself, that's no surprise at all.
    A good legal secretary is who makes them look good and professional.
    Most lawyers know it too.

Mrs. Winger was a legal secretary for about 25 years.
    When a firm laid off attorneys for whatever reasons, their secretaries & staff were out too.
    It happened to Mrs. Winger three times. Each time- She had a new position with another firm before the sun set.
    A good one usually makes about 2-3 times what an regular executive secretary does. For several reasons- they earn it too.
    They do everything in a legal office except dictate documents, try cases in court, and sign off on legal documents.

My Dad had a personal friend that was a lawyer, and retired several years before Pop passed away.
    When he handled Pop's estate-- with no will, he came off retirement to do it.
    He also brought his legal secretary that had been with him on the Mayflower and had also retired
    to do the documentation, and he basically just made the court appearances when she told him to.
    He also signed whatever she put under his nose. She was also with him when we had to go see the judge
    for Pop's case to keep him out of mischief.
    The judge's secretary was there also to keep him on the straight and narrow as well as out of trouble.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-21-2023 at 04:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Abe Linken had the right idea, it is reported that he said all lawyers should be killed ???

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Abe Linken had the right idea, it is reported that he said all lawyers should be killed ???
    I think he plagiarized that from Shakespeare.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-21-2023 at 04:45 PM.

EVERYONE!

My, my...such general, all-encompassing invective against an entire profession! We have one or two members here (perhaps more) who are attorneys, and doubtless quite competent. You'll find incompetents in every profession.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Not everyone graduates at the top of the class. My luck with lawyers has been very good. Supplied options and advice, executed my decisions promptly, kept and supplied detailed records.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Mold
    When I graduated from college I took, and passed, the entrance exam for law school at the Washington College of Law on the American University campus (from where I graduated). Somewhere along the process I just could not see myself as a practicing attorney. I loved the law as a resource and guide for the application of fairness. However, I learned that the law is subject to the skills of the individual attorney and fairness, under the law, has little to do with the outcome.

Boolit Grand Master

Theres good ones and not so good ones. And most good ones have a good Secretary! There are a few here on Cast Boolits that are good guys.

Boolit Master
    I had 36 years in law enforcement and during my career dealt with many different lawyers. Most were decent, a few were not. The same can be said for medical personnel, teachers, coworkers, neighbors, clergy, salespeople, relatives, and just about everyone else I've dealt with in my life.
    Maineboy

You may have heard this one...

What is a pile of 5,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

The last time I posted my favorite lawyer joke---
    I didn't get put in the penalty box, or sent to bed without dinner, but it got instantly zapped.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    I would rather do work for a lawyer, than for a doctor. But I sure don't want to hire one to do something for me.

Boolit Buddy

This Country was built by men in overalls, and ruined by men in suits. GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    This Country was built by men in overalls, and ruined by men in suits. GW
    Like button!

Boolit Master
    double like that one....

Boolit Master

Tax people are getting up there in the world too. I went to talk to the tax guy in our church. Told him the situation is small and Easy. He said come down to his office and bring $3000. NOPE, not now, not ever!!!!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Tax people are getting up there in the world too. I went to talk to the tax guy in our church. Told him the situation is small and Easy. He said come down to his office and bring $3000. NOPE, not now, not ever!!!!
    Ole Jack
    Tax software isn't much better, had one, Turbo Tax, wanting to charge me almost $200 because I had 24˘ in foreign tax. Deleted the form and back to free.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

If those in the profession indicate a certain lawyer is (say) aggressive and worth it, take their advice - HIRE HIM. It might cost you, but the outcome will be as he says up front it will be. What really is "the cost" when an outcome from a poor choice is both expensive and disheartening.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

As with anything, trust, but verify. Read the stuff you're signing. An attorney told me a story of a contract that had been signed where the word, "not," was worth millions of dollars to a plaintiff. Apparently, an attorney didn't read HIS OWN documents and the phrase, "shall not," was rendered into, "shall." When he got in front of the judge, he tried to claim that his secretary had left it out. The judge stopped cold. The room went dead quiet and she looked up at the attorney and in a freezing cold tone, told the attorney, "It's not your secretary's signature here, it's yours," and proceeded to rule against him, right on the spot. Of course, the original client who signed the contract also should have read it.

I read everything and I ALWAYS find errors in legal docs, tax returns, audits, leases.... You name it. Frequently, you'll find "errors and omissions" clauses in the paperwork but that doesn't cover matters of agreement, only matters of minor incident, such as a misspelled address, etc.

Lawyers notwithstanding, you have to cover your own butt.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast