WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tip for Installing a Hand Spring Retaining Screw

Tip for Installing a Hand Spring Retaining Screw

Reinstalling the hand spring retaining screw on a Uberti revolver is a pain in the neck. I keep extra screws on hand because they’re too tiny to grip while installing and are also spring loaded. Only my granddaughter can find them when they fly across the room. Today, I figured out a trick to not only guide the screw on but also keep it contained while setting it. All it takes is the spring from a ball point pen. Place the ball point pen spring around the hand spring and using a dab of grease to hold the screw on the driver top, insert the screwdriver shaft into the pen spring, compress, and start turning. The inside diameter of the pen spring contains the driver shaft and screw. If the screw slips off, it’s contained and you start over. No more mini Scud Missiles

Boolit Master
    I need a picture to identify the hand spring retaining screw. The hand springs I am familiar with are installed in a slot in the hand.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Traditionally, the hand spring is what you’re familiar with. On some Uberti’s, a hole is drilled in the frame, just above the left frame screw hole. It aligns with the hand. Into this hole goes a pin, then spring and finally a tiny screw to hold it all together. Can’t attach a pic with my phone, but this link shows how it goes together. https://taylorsfirearms.com/uberti-1...ame-parts.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Traditionally, the hand spring is what you’re familiar with. On some Uberti’s, a hole is drilled in the frame, just above the left frame screw hole. It aligns with the hand. Into this hole goes a pin, then spring and finally a tiny screw to hold it all together. Can’t attach a pic with my phone, but this link shows how it goes together. https://taylorsfirearms.com/uberti-1...ame-parts.html

Your description answered my question. A coil spring hand spring. Never considered a non traditional spring! Thanks for clarifying.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I work M1 Carbine bolts apart/together in a cardboard box with holes and light and with a towel. I have lost track of how many extractor detents and springs are hiding now! And yes, I have several bolt tools and use the one that fits best. And on the revolver thing, yes a pain but they don't break like the flat.

Greek, fortunately, as you mentioned, this configuration isn’t as prone to breakage as the flat spring version. With this revolver I shoot only black powder; so occasionally, I’ll take it completely apart to clean the channel where the the hand rides