MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Outpost75 ruger security six question?

Outpost75 ruger security six question?

Outpost75 or anybody that has knowledge on ruger security six. I have a late production security six that has a gas ring on the cylinder and therefore has a small flat filed at 6:00 . Have you any problems with cracked forcing cones like the smith model 19?
    I notice the barrel breech does not protrude near as much from the frame as on a smith 19. I have not seen any examples of this on the rugers. My earlier security six’s have no gas ring hence no flat at 6:00.

Thanks

Dogdoc
    Last edited by dogdoc; 01-21-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Barrel length? Stainless or Blue? Just curious.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Watching to see Outpost’s input on this
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Late production 4 inch stainless with heavy barrel. I read some law enforcement contracts required the gas ring coming off the cylinder. I have several of the earlier ones without.

Boolit Master

Outpost75 ruger security six question?

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Late production 4 inch stainless with heavy barrel. I read some law enforcement contracts required the gas ring coming off the cylinder. I have several of the earlier ones without.
    IIRC, that was to accommodate the FBI load, which was pretty dirty, and the cut forcing cone only in .38s.

Used to have a link to an article on it.

Yep, here it is, about halfway down:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm
    Last edited by Jtarm; 01-21-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    IIRC, that was to accommodate the FBI load, which was pretty dirty, and the cut forcing cone only in .38s.

Used to have a link to an article on it.

Yep, here it is, about halfway down:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm
    Thank you for that but I think mr Harris may be wrong on this one as my revolver is clearly a 357 magnum. He states that the hubbed cylinder design was ONLY use in cylinders chambered is 38 special. This is not the case as I have one to prove it. I see pictures all over the internet of Smith model 19s with cracked forcing cones but none of Ruger security sixes with the issue. I think the internet greatly overstates the problem in k frame smiths as in reality it is not common. My model 66 from about 1983 has had the snot shot out of it with all kind of handloads by me for the last 40 years . There is minimal forcing cone wear. The breach on the k frame Smiths extends a good further than the rugers so there is a good bit more metal removed which, I suspect makes them a bit weaker.