Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308 hunting boolit mold

Banned
    i tried to use a commercial 170 gas check bullet for my rifle, but it just jammed and jammed and never fed if i used the crimp groove.

Boolit Grand Master
    Arsenal makes a 175gr ish 30 cal with a really decent sized meplat

The RCBS Silhouette series, 150, 165, 180 are the 30 cals I use in competition. All have a flat nose with the 150 having the largest meplat of the three. They are also good for deer and hogs. All have GC, and are bore riders, they are designed for distance accuracy but very capable of 1/2" at 100. They can be cast hard, water dropped, heat treated, or powder coated.
    I used the Lyman for decades but switched to the RCBS as they were superior in accuracy at 200 meters and further. Many folks double size, the RCBS, nose and base to obtain a perfect land diameter and groove diameter fit.
    I use the LBT hard, heater applied, red lube or powder coating. Hornady gas checks, if I use a GC.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BandeauRouge View Post
    i tried to use a commercial 170 gas check bullet for my rifle, but it just jammed and jammed and never fed if i used the crimp groove.
    A very common but unreported problem. Feeding with flat nosed bullets, especially with a large meplat, can be very problematic with staggered magazine rifles. The round, most often from the left side, comes up and jams into the right side of the back of the barrel w/o entering the chamber before the base of the cartridge is released from the action feed rails or lips on a stamped magazine box. This particularly a situation with Mauser actions having staggered box magazines. It can be fixed by judicious adjustment of the feed rails to release the base of the cartridge earlier.

Rifles with single stack magazines often do not have this problem. there are several newer commercial actions that are with single stack magazines. Being a fan of Mauser actions over the years I appreciate the M91's single stack magazine. Some years ago I got a couple 3 round single stack detachable magazines from Gibbs Rifle Co. that fit a M98 magazine well w/o modification. The floor plate, spring and follower ar removed and the Gibbs magazine fits right in. I use it on my bfy M98 with the 14" twist Palma Shultz & Larson barrel. Both magazines feed just about any shaped bullet w/o jamming as the bullet goes straight from the magazine into the chamber.

Many CRF rifles, especially Mauser types, M70s, etc., will feed a flat nose bullet reliably from the top right side of the magazine. It is when two or more rounds are put in the jamming happens. Thus, if you really want to use that rifle and that flat nosed bullet for hunting and don't want to alter the action feed rails, you can put a single round in the magazine the put the second round in and hand feed so the bullet enters the chamber. That gives you a "two shooter' which hopefully will be sufficient for hunting.

Push feeds are a whole 'nother Pandora's box. Adjustment of the feed lips/rails can be effective. Also try working the bolt briskly. Sometimes the brisk (as in very fast) operation of the bolt allows the bullet nose to enter the chamber instead of going off to the side to jam against the back of the barrel.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I have feed problems even with my .416 Ruger Alaskan. I'm getting decent accuracy but my NOE flat nose mold casts boolits that jam into the chamber at an angle whereby they refuse to feed...period. Upon inspection the meplat will have deformation showing where its making contact. Different mold required? I don't see a method of fixing this.
    Planeguy

Boolit Bub
    This works ok if you don't mind single loading, but I'm going hog hunting in 4 weeks and was hoping to use my own boolits for the first time. I dont see a single shot .416 as an ideal pig shooter!
    Planeguy

And not even a bayonet.
    Well, with a .416 how many could you get to line up?

fixed by judicious adjustment of the mag lips.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I know the elephant gun is on the heavy side for hogs,but when my whole family goes hunting I run out of more appropriate guns! I used the .416 last year with jacketed Swifts and needless to say they don't go far. I reeealy want to anchor a big boar with my own boolits this time. I live 1000+ miles away from feral hog country so I don't get many opportunities. I will take a look at altering the feed lips/angle on the Ruger. I have a mold on order from Accurate with a bit less melatonin, but I dont know if it will arrive on time.

Boolit Bub
    Wow melatonin instead of meplat ? That spell checker is a wonderful thing.

Heard of sleeping bullets before, guess melatonin does the job.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    .308 is a dinky smallbore cartridge so I'm starting out blunt and heavy.

Are these the those full power wad-cutters I keep hearing about ?
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123