Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionPBcastcoInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 hunting boolit mold

Boolit Bub

.308 hunting boolit mold

Greetings, I'm new to this game and I am seeking suggestions for a cast boolit to use for feral hog hunting in a .308. I have 2 grandsons down in Lousiana I'm trying to make hunters out of. I think they would get a kick out of helping to load their own ammo. They like to make things and their parents ( both USAF) have been raising them the old way, doing for yourself, not joined at the hip to a smart phone so I have hope for them. Longest shot would be around 50 yards. We hunt from tree stands primarily.

Boolit Bub
    I have started having some success casting boolits for other calibers. Dont own a .308 mold yet so any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
    Planeguy

Mrs. Thumbcocker used a 165 fp to take this hog. Bang flop. Mold and data on the target.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Lot's of choices. I have tried numerous .30 cal cast bullets over the years in various 30 caliber cartridges including several .308Ws. I found it is pretty hard to come up with a better .30 cast bullet than the old tried and true Lyman 311041. Cast of a proper alloy, GC'd and lubed it will suffice very well indeed when pushed along at 1900 - 2350 fps depending on barrel twist. Even with the faster 10" twist barrel practical hunting accuracy can be had upwards of 2300 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 311040 & RCBS 30-180 are my two favorite, more partial to the 35-180. It drops frpm the mold heavy & has a good wide meplat (nose). But the Lyman 311041 is also very popular. Good Luck with those G-Kids. Good to see someone spending time with the youth. It's our future.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Ranch dog clone. It has a large metplat, and pleanty accurate to 200 yards. Noe and Arsenal molds make designs. I hunt Blacktail deer with it and smacks them hard at 50. I have this version as a plain base. I cast them soft at 20-1 and powdercoat them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311170-228x228.JPG 
Views:	602 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	309539

Boolit Bub
    Thanks fellas, there's a lot of choices in 30 cal molds. Never hunted with cast boolits before. Do they feed ok in an AR? Getting a single shot Henry for the kids. That should be a perfect cast boolit launcher.

Boolit Master
    It is hard to go wrong with the Lyman 311041 but the Lee 170gr flat point has also shot well in my 308's if the Lyman mold is hard to find or you have a more limited budget.

Boolit Master

One of my favorites is from a Saeco mold. I think the number is 315. It is a Louverin style 175 or so flat point bullet and easy to get accuracy with. The short neck of the 308 makes it sort of a challenge but the Saeco bullet works well in my rifles.
    Good Luck to you!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quilbilly is right. I've used the lee 170 FN bullet many times & performs well. Alloy is going to be important. Usually 49%/49% Wheel Weight/ Pure lead,& 2% tin makes a good all around hunting bullet. Your mileage may vary. Powder coating is not mandatory but It works better for me on non-bore riding boolits. Gets me quite a bit better velocity with the softer alloys. I'm going to leave the AR platform alone.

Boolit Grand Master

One of my favorites for the 30 caliber is an old NEI 170 gr. FP bullet. It has accounted for a number of hogs, goats and feral sheep in everything from a 30 Herrett to 300 Win. Mag. with the majority of animals being shot by the lowly 30/30.

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    P.S -Should have said non-bore riding Nose boolits.

I have a slick sided (PC) 31-165C accurate 2 hole mold I don't use anymore - got rid of the AR10 as it is too heavy for me anymore. Did about MOA @ 200 with decent alloy running ~ 2400 fps. PM if interested.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with the Lee 170 gr RNFP with GC. I have Ranch Dog molds and maybe another dozen other .30 cal rifle molds. The Lee is just what I started with and have not had time over the last 20 years to do serious work with the others. If it ain't broke ....

.308 is a dinky smallbore cartridge so I'm starting out blunt and heavy.

Cast Hunter

I had great luck with the Lyman 311291 in a .308. Great accuracy with IMR 3031 and deadly on hogs and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Man
    i have the Henry SS... recoil can become a factor , & mines in 30-30.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 312-165 RD from NOE once the RanchDog mould should be just the ticket .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Another vote for the Lyman 311041.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    I've had good luck with the Lee 170 gr RNFP with GC. I have Ranch Dog molds and maybe another dozen other .30 cal rifle molds. The Lee is just what I started with and have not had time over the last 20 years to do serious work with the others. If it ain't broke ....
    Definitely Lee's best nose design. Can't imagine why they didn't put flat noses on their seven and eight millimeter molds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast