MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Stevens 311 barrel

Boolit Buddy

Stevens 311 barrel

I've got a Higgins 101.7 (Stevens 311A) receiver needing a barrel. 12ga won't fit so it's either 16ga or 20ga. Anyone got a 16 or 20 ga barrel and can measure the width of the barrel at the breech end? My receiver measures 2 1/8". Thanks, Dan

iirc the frame sizes were the same - what is stopping it from fitting ? - was the measurement taken at receiver flat against the standing breech or at another reference point ? - i have had to fit replacement 12 ga. barrels onto frame that was originally a 12 ga. -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Width of 12ga barrel is 2 1/4". My receiver is only 2 1/8".

exactly where on barrel + reciver are you taking the measurments ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    311 20 ga 2'' od on barrels

receivers + barrels are not consistent in all areas - need to know exact place where the measurements are being taken -

as they say in latin

Boolit Mold
    Pay attention to the distance between the firing pins. That will tell you the difference between 16 and 20. I don't have one to measure for you.

Boolit Master

I have a 311D in 16 ga from 1970. The max width of the face of the receiver is 21/8 in. The distance between firing pins is 11/8in. These are close approximations as they were measured with a tape measure.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you to those responding to this thread. Looks like I need a 16ga barrel. Best, Dan

Boolit Master

Nice! 16 is the ga my father trained me on starting when I was 7. He gave me the gun I mentioned for Christmas when I was in high school. I still have it (obviously) and have added to the "herd"! He's gone now, but I also have the stevens 16 single barrel that was his, that he trained me on. He later (1964) "upgraded" to a mod 1100 Remington. He told me that, on dove shoots, he doesnt kill more birds, with it, he just shoot more shells.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a similar story. When I was 10 or 12 years old, I was obsessed with guns, and often after dinner would go down stairs and clean/oil some of my Dad's guns. One evening my Dad inspected my work and handed me a 16ga Ithaca and stated I showed the interest, knowledge and respect of firearms and deserved to own one of my own. One of my happiest days of my life. Didn't actually get to shoot it for several years, but it has been kept like new to this day. I just have to hold that old 16ga Ithaca and many great memories come to mind.

Boolit Master

Nice story Dan, hope you can find a set of barrels. Might try the 16 gauge society website.

Boolit Master
    i think a 5100 stevens should be the same barrel they came out prior to the 311 and share many parts

watch gb and e bay will come up sooner or later

Boolit Master

I put up a post on the 16 ga forum. I asked if anyone knew of any barrels, and if the 311 and 5100 shared them. Now we wait.

Don’t forget the Springfield, less expensive version, but the same action.

Boolit Master

no responses there yet. will post back if anything shows up.