Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hazmat fees for local pickup?

Hazmat fees for local pickup?

Not sure it goes here.

I used to use a local place quite a bit. I noticed they changed their policy at some point, charging $48 Hazmat even if picked up locally. I don't think I've seen that - usually paying Hazmat only if buying powder/primer for shipping to my home.

Is this customary?
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Did you place an order or pick up from their inventory? If you placed an order, they passed the hazmat on to you as they probably should have. If they charged you hazmat for buying powder/primers from their in-stock inventory, sounds like they are trying to make extra money off unsuspecting customers.

In-stock inventory should be priced accordingly to account for their hazmat and shipping costs at the time they purchased the inventory.

Boolit Buddy
    Have never paid hazmat for Black Powder, smokeless powder, primers are anything else when at LGS.

Boolit Master
    Haz-Mat applies only when shipped to your door by UPS or Fed-Ex. If you picked it up in person, then there should not be a Haz-Mat fee.

Didn't place an order because of that charge. I've never paid Hazmat for any powder, primer when picking up in person at any store, and never used to when buying from these guys. $48 is also more than I think I've seen elsewhere. They charge it as a flat fee for anything Hazmat-related.

Too bad. I think I won't be buying from them any longer. Thanks guys.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    There isn’t a mandatory or regulated “hazmat” charge for shipping powder or primers, it’s simply a fee added to the invoice by the retailer. The retailer keeps the money, it doesn’t go to the shipping company. In theory it offsets the retailers costs to maintain their shipping certification.

Retailers have done a good job disguising this fee and and making us think it’s somehow required when it is not.

Anyway, they can add it whenever they want, and of course you can walk away whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    There isn’t a mandatory or regulated “hazmat” charge for shipping powder or primers, it’s simply a fee added to the invoice by the retailer. The retailer keeps the money, it doesn’t go to the shipping company. In theory it offsets the retailers costs to maintain their shipping certification.

Retailers have done a good job disguising this fee and and making us think it’s somehow required when it is not.

Anyway, they can add it whenever they want, and of course you can walk away whenever you want.
    Maybe you touched on it Jim - they're charging $299 for 8 pounds 4198, which brings it to $347 total. Cabela's for instance is selling it for $369, local pickup. Powder Valley charges only $20 for Hazmat, but after shipping, the total is $374. That makes sense. Although I've seen plenty of "lower prices" offset by exorbitant shipping (or, here, Hazmat being over double what I've seen everywhere else).
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Maybe you touched on it Jim - they're charging $299 for 8 pounds 4198, which brings it to $347 total. Cabela's for instance is selling it for $369, local pickup. Powder Valley charges only $20 for Hazmat, but after shipping, the total is $374. That makes sense. Although I've seen plenty of "lower prices" offset by exorbitant shipping (or, here, Hazmat being over double what I've seen everywhere else).
    They learned this by looking at telephone and cable company bills, or maybe car invoices.

You’re right, just look at the bottom line, the sticker is just marketing.

Boolit Buddy
    The local sportsman warehouse will wave the hazmat fee if shipped to the store, they just add it to their shipment, you're charged if it goes to your house.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

They learned this by looking at telephone and cable company bills, or maybe car invoices.

You’re right, just look at the bottom line, the sticker is just marketing.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer they charge whatever they want to charge for the nominal cost, but keep shipping and Hazmat within norms. Makes no difference, and in terms of these guys they're cheaper at the end of the day, but for some reason it irks me.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    The local sportsman warehouse will wave the hazmat fee if shipped to the store, they just add it to their shipment, you're charged if it goes to your house.
    That's what I'm used to.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Powder Valley as a retailer does not make any money off the hazmat fees. UPS and FedEx charge a hazmat shipping fee and they keep the money. I also purchase from a local company that does not charge hazmat for items they have shipped in by private carriers. When they order and use a common carrier like UPS and FedEx they pass those costs on to the customer. Normally they don't order items through the common carriers that charge hazmat to ship, but, at times that's the only way they can get product in the door.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/shipping-policy/
    Hazmat Packages: We can ship up to 48 lbs of different powder and primers under one hazmat fee to save you money. UPS and FedEx charge $19.95 Per Package on Hazardous Materials. Powder and Primers are Hazardous.

FedEx requires a signature on all hazardous material packages and will not allow the packages to be redirected to an alternate address.

UPS may require a signature when delivering your package.

Please make sure someone will be available to sign for your package when delivered. If no one is available to sign for the package when delivered and the package is returned to Powder Valley, customer is responsible for all charges related to the return.

Bullets, brass, media, equipment and other non incendiary devices are not considered hazmat. We will ship via the best method to save you money.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-21-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Powder Valley as a retailer does not make any money off the hazmat fees. UPS and FedEx charge a hazmat shipping fee and they keep the money. I also purchase from a local company that does not charge hazmat for items they have shipped in by private carriers. When they order and use a common carrier like UPS and FedEx they pass those costs on to the customer. Normally they don't order items through the common carriers that charge hazmat to ship, but, at times that's the only way they can get product in the door.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/shipping-policy/
    Hazmat Packages: We can ship up to 48 lbs of different powder and primers under one hazmat fee to save you money. UPS and FedEx charge $19.95 Per Package on Hazardous Materials. Powder and Primers are Hazardous.

FedEx requires a signature on all hazardous material packages and will not allow the packages to be redirected to an alternate address.

UPS may require a signature when delivering your package.

Please make sure someone will be available to sign for your package when delivered. If no one is available to sign for the package when delivered and the package is returned to Powder Valley, customer is responsible for all charges related to the return.

Bullets, brass, media, equipment and other non incendiary devices are not considered hazmat. We will ship via the best method to save you money.
    Fedex says that they charge $44 per package, but I doubt they do.
    https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe..._Fees_2022.pdf

I’ve shipped with UPS and didn’t pay a surcharge for hazmat. It looks like they have one, but not for ground shipments. https://www.ups.com/assets/resources...-hi_retail.pdf

Maybe there is something in the PW contracts with the carriers, we’d never know.

"Shipping and handling" fees are usually just rolled into the price you pay and you don't see them itemized or listed.

To make a long story short, if you can get a better price or service somewhere else-- shop there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just picked up some H4350 at the LGS no hazmat involved! Just pay and go!
    My .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Brass. Can't wait until Starline 45-70 is more widely available. BTW - anyone ever use Maverick Reloading? They have 45-70 Starline and everything I investigated indicates it's a legit site: https://maverickreloading.com/produc...ne-brass-100ct. Expensive at $60 shipped/50 cases, but still for limited replenishment for now, I bought some.
    -Paul

Boolit Bub
    I ordered some from Starline directly just a week ago. Site said it was 'on back order' and I was expecting a wait, but it shipped the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by fragman View Post
    I ordered some from Starline directly just a week ago. Site said it was 'on back order' and I was expecting a wait, but it shipped the next day.
    Ditto. In fact I have too much. Going to sell excess at cost to members who could use it.
    -Paul

Unfortunate experience with Cabela's brought about a good thing and I want to correct my error.

I contacted the LGS and the Hazmat is waived if picking up in the store. It's basically an authorization on the total amount, but they refund the Hazmat back when you come in to pick up the order. I'm really glad for that as these guys are a family run business from whom I've bought a lot of stuff over the years. I'll suggest to them they might want to mention the waive it on their page because the way it reads, a Hazmat for $48 ($24 if you live in the "Spee Dee" area) is assessed for all orders.

Recob's in Prairie du Sac. Good people, highly recommend them.
    -Paul