Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 2400 in a .470 Nitro Express

Generous Donator

2400 in a .470 Nitro Express

Anyone here using 2400 for light cast loads in a .470 Nitro Express? I have had good results with 2400 in smaller cases, but don't know about using it in a large case.

Banner Sponsor

That's a pretty huge case.
    I have loaded 325 and 400gn for plinking. I'll see if I can find some load notes, but they may have been lost in my shop fire of several years ago.
    Mostly I just shoot a 500gn cast with RL15 @ 2150fps.

Generous Donator
    Thanks. I was looking for a reduced load as 500grn. Bullets at 2150 don’t sound like fun. I did find a published load using Trail Boss powder with a velocity of 1250, about what I want.

Boolit Man
    XBT,

You basically have two powder options based on my experience with my 470 NE. They are Trail Boss or Accurate 5744. These powders will fill the case well (Trail Boss is better) and will give you accurate loads. You will have to vary the powder charges based on the bullet you shoot and the rifle to get a double to regulate well. In my opinion, Alliant 2400 is not a good choice in such a cavernous case as powder positioning will have an impact on accuracy and reliability.

I shoot both jacketed .474/.476 bullets designed for the big Linebaugh handguns or the 480 Ruger. There are a number of cast bullet options both in terms of molds and commercial casters with bullets in the 400-grain weight range. You can make this adventure more (much more, ask me how I know!) complicated using other powders and fillers, etc but to keep it simple I suggest the two powders above.

Do a search here and you will find some other information sources as we discussed this a few years ago. Here is one good link with lots of information:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Nitro-Express

Good luck, shooting the big boomers is lots of fun and it allows one to use a gun that is generally destined for specialized hunts like dangerous game more frequently and even to hunt deer on other smaller game.

Paul

Boolit Man
    Here is some information I had in my files from John Barsness:

Per John Barsness

There are various ways to work up reduced cast-bullet loads, but the two I've used most are recommended by Hodgdon and Accurate powders, with Trail Boss and A5744:

Trail Boss:
    Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use.

Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, while searching for the most accurate reduced load.

Accurate 5744:
    40% of to-the-base powder charge for starting load. 48% of the to-the-base powder charge is the cast bullet maximum, and 60-65% is the max for jacketed bullets.

Banner Sponsor

No luck on the load notes, sorry.
    You might try the BigBore section of the AccurateReloading forum.

I think the only powder I've used in the 470 N.E. is 5744. I don't remember trying Trailboss. I did like the 5744 under a boolit from a mold intended for the 480 Ruger Not a mouse fart load, but certainly not a 2 shots and you're done for the day load either.

If you are shooting a double rifle, a pistol weight boolit can usually be made to regulate at slower speeds that the 5744 or Trailboss provide.

I'll have to dig out my load book for the loads I've used.

And more cross pollination of posts:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...light=petander

And probably should have read the above posts closer, redundant info
    Last edited by 15meter; 01-23-2023 at 11:58 PM.

Generous Donator
    Thanks for the info, it will get us started. The gun (on the way) is a Sabatti double and we will have both 400grn. and 500grn. molds available. He (my son) is not too concerned about extreme accuracy, reasonably close is good enough.

Banner Sponsor

That Trail Boss and A5744 data is gold. I copied it down to start a new 470NE load folder.
    I imagine that Trail Boss is easy to light off, but what about A5744 in the large case?
    I use Fed 215s for my RL15 loads. Do you guys use a mag or standard primer for A5744?

Boolit Grand Master

Go to Powder Valley or Jeff Barlett and buy some surplus caliber .50 powder.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That Trail Boss and A5744 data is gold. I copied it down to start a new 470NE load folder.
    I imagine that Trail Boss is easy to light off, but what about A5744 in the large case?
    I use Fed 215s for my RL15 loads. Do you guys use a mag or standard primer for A5744?
    I've used both, but I lean towards the Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer. I think Accurate recommended loads started me down that road when I first used 5744 in my 50-70 Trapdoor.

Boolit Man
    Yes, I use a magnum primer for all my 470 loads, primarily Fed 215s but the other magnum primers work too. These days you take what you can get! I did experiment with standard brisance primers and had some hang fires so I just stay with the magnums...I think they are needed when you are lighting off powder by the shot glass full!