MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: 25-35 boolits?

Boolit Man

25-35 boolits?

I have a 1894 Winchester in 25-35 with the 1in 8" twist. Anyone have success casting for it?

1 in 8 is pretty fast, are you sure?
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Man
    I just walked down to my shop and checked my file for that rifle and my records say it is a 1 in 8 twist. I have made many mistakes however i believe this is correct. It is 1926 1894 shoots a 117 grain jacketed bullet. I know that 1 in 8 is very fast for cast. This is why I am reaching out to find out what other peoples experences are. Thank you for your interest.

Boolit Master
    Have 1894 win 25-35 w/26" barrel. Sear safety notch has been too filed down by previous owner hoping to lighten its trigger pull. (foolish filing job) Sear's jump over each other with a un-cocked hammer with a easy squeeze of its trigger. Otherwise is a pretty good up close whitetail get'er. Don't shoot it much. I use 117 gr jacketed for my 1/4 bore rem mountain rifle also.
    Littl 25-35 is a unusual rifle. Original owner ordered special options from win at the time of his purchase. Barrel is half round & half hexagon. Has pistol grip stock and too having original hinged Win peep mounted on its wrist tang_(works good.) Rifle is a good candidate for cast and/or paper patching but__ just haven't tried yet.
    http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
    Last edited by OverMax; 01-30-2023 at 01:51 AM. Reason: cast {BHN hardness} blending material

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    that rifle and my records say it is a 1 in 8 twist. .
    That was the original twist rate, but they were made to spin that fast for relatively heavy jacketed bullets.

To see how successful it would be for cast, I'd dig around and see what guys are doing for cast in 5.56 ARs.
    Also, check into casting with the new age Zinc wheel weights.
    You can get them up to jacketed speeds, and might be a good candidate for the 25-30.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Mine has a 1:10" twist and shoots the RCBS 100gn GC/PC very nicely!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I had a 1:8” twist .25 caliber barrel put on a FBW action. Cast loads were in the 87-90 gr range; Ideal 25720, 257464 and 257231, with 9-13 gr of SR-4759.

5-shot groups at 50 yds varied from 1-1/4” to 3”, depending on the phase of the moon. At 100 yds, most shots would stay in under 4”, and I’d occasionally get a 2-1/2” group.

With jacketed bullets in the 110-120-gr groups ranged from 1-1/2” to 4” at 100 yards, although the percentage of smaller groups was better with the jacketed than the cast.

I had a Savage 99 relined with a 10” twist .25 caliber barrel and chambered in .25-35. It seems a lot less finicky about the loads it likes. Groups under an inch at 50 yards and 2-1/2” or less at 100 yards are much more common. It seems to do as well as the FBW with 117-gr jacketed roundnose bullets, at least at the ranges I shoot them at.

For cast in both rifles, I’ve settled on 9 gr of 4759 for offhand practice and plinking.

Boolit Man
    Thank you for all of your responses. I have the lyman 257464,257463,and a 257420 FNGC. I like the 257464 and the 257463 however I am a little concerned with the round nose and my tubular magazine. I will start with the 257420 and I still have 8-10 pounds of 4759. I really like shooting this rifle but it is a little hard to feed.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't worry to much about a chain fire in the magazine tube with home poured round nose cast. (see my prior link above) for instruction link on proper hardness.

Boolit Buddy
    I got hold of an M94 Winchester in .32 Special at a great price, that was made in 1941. I seemed like a good idea to make it my .25/35.
    I got a 1:10" twist tube and put it on the rifle and cut it to 21", with the magazine going back to just in front of the forend.
    The reamer I used is an Ackley-Improved. A Redfield receiver-sight with an adjustable-iris peep.
    The cast boolits I use are 65gr, 85gr, and 105gr, all of which work fine. Some of them are plain-base, some are gas-check.
    Yours is probably 1:8" so a long, round-nose would likely work best.
    If you can't find a mold to suit you, call NOE or Accurate Molds and see if they will cut you something that works.
    Have fun,
    Gene
    El plomo ES oro