Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Savage Impulse WM .300 and Browning A-Bolt III .300 WM?

Savage Impulse WM .300 and Browning A-Bolt III .300 WM?

I was just returning from a range trip and thought I'd drop in to Cabela's used room for ideas. Came across both a Savage Impulse in .300 WM and a Browning A-Bolt III, also in.300 WM. No .338's to shoulder. Tons of .308's, a few 30-06's.

That Impulse is a tank! Really heavy, which I tried to imagine lugging around the mountains. No scope on board either. I imagine recoil is a bit of a breeze. Anyone have one of these?

I am partial to the X-Bolts, and have heard good things about the A-Bolt. I really don't know them. Any thoughts on this particular A-Bolt (III)?
    -Paul

As far as the rifles themselves go within brand and model, there's probably very little difference between a .338 and a .300 Win Mag. On the Browning A-Bolt III there's quite a bit of difference in price between synthetic and walnut stocked versions. They seem like a Ruger American bolt wise. I've very little experience with any Savage rifles.

You can take a look on Guns International's web site, (no auction, no fees for buyers) Cabela's sells through there and you can find something you want and have the store it's listed in send it to your local Cabela's or Bass Pro. You have to pay the store it ships from, if you don't like it when you look at it at your local store, you can get a refund. Go to the site, click on rifles, choose brand, choose model, and browse to your heart's content.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    As far as the rifles themselves go within brand and model, there's probably very little difference between a .338 and a .300 Win Mag. On the Browning A-Bolt III there's quite a bit of difference in price between synthetic and walnut stocked versions. They seem like a Ruger American bolt wise. I've very little experience with any Savage rifles.

You can take a look on Guns International's web site, (no auction, no fees for buyers) Cabela's sells through there and you can find something you want and have the store it's listed in send it to your local Cabela's or Bass Pro. You have to pay the store it ships from, if you don't like it when you look at it at your local store, you can get a refund. Go to the site, click on rifles, choose brand, choose model, and browse to your heart's content.
    Thanks a ton, didn't know of the site, Ithaca, only Bud's or Gunbroker, if not LGS's. Just saw the Impulse weighs 9 lbs. Not crazy heavy, but that was with a synthetic and no scope.
    -Paul

Guns International has plenty of about anything you might want. If a .300 Win Mag. is suitable, check out their Interarms listings. The Interarms Mark X Mausers are fine rifles and Cabela's La Vista NE has one listed w/rings for $699.99 blue/walnut made in Manchester England. These are genuine commercial 98 Mauser actions with a sliding safety.

I've only bought one gun on GI, (antique) called the seller, ask a few questions, got a ten day return privlage, bought it, and it was at my door in two days. Quick and easy. My brother bought a S&W M-29 from a Cabelas, had it delivered to our local Bass Pro where he inspected it and did the paperwork. Easy.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Guns International has plenty of about anything you might want. If a .300 Win Mag. is suitable, check out their Interarms listings. The Interarms Mark X Mausers are fine rifles and Cabela's La Vista NE has one listed w/rings for $699.99 blue/walnut made in Manchester England. These are genuine commercial 98 Mauser actions with a sliding safety.

I've only bought one gun on GI, (antique) called the seller, ask a few questions, got a ten day return privlage, bought it, and it was at my door in two days. Quick and easy. My brother bought a S&W M-29 from a Cabelas, had it delivered to our local Bass Pro where he inspected it and did the paperwork. Easy.
    Thanks for this, too. I will check it out.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A-Bolt is a top notch rifle made by Miroku, I would have no concerns about buying one at all.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    A-Bolt is a top notch rifle made by Miroku, I would have no concerns about buying one at all.
    Thanks Ferguson. I'm seeing a lot in .300 to choose from, less in .338 but still a few. Good to know, much appreciated.
    -Paul

You're welcome. John Barsness always said that the A-Bolt and Savage 110 are consistently the most accurate out of the box rifles, and he has tried just about every one under the sun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    You're welcome. John Barsness always said that the A-Bolt and Savage 110 are consistently the most accurate out of the box rifles, and he has tried just about every one under the sun.
    The A-Bolt at $699 is staring at me.
    -Paul

Is that used or new? Is it an original A-Bolt or the II or III version? My local shop actually sells the AB III new for less than that. Another excellent rifle in this price range you may want to consider is the Weatherby Vanguard. If you buy a .300 and then decide you actually want a .338 down the road you might end up taking a bath on it.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of people had the same comments on the impulse, which is why they came out with a new lightweight model very recently. I'll be upfront that I absolutely hate normal bolt actions. I sold my last one and I have no intentions on ever buying another. The impluse has caught my eye, but I don't think it is for me. My main concern is the price. There's just no justification for how insanely expensive they are. Even if it was closer to $700 like a 110, I don't see that they did anything to make them more reliable than a 110. Not that a 110 is bad, but I sure wouldn't bet my life on a 110's follow up shot. Speaking of follow up shots, if we are looking at long range shooting, how many times would a second shot in under 2 seconds ever be helpful? If you aren't regularly shooting 300+ yards, then there are so many better options out there such as semi auto's, lever actions, and even pump actions.

My opinion based only on handling an impulse, never shooting one, is that they fit in an odd niche. They are not a good overall rifle. They are not a good close range rifle. They are not an inexpensive rifle. Even the new "lightweight" models are only on par with most other rifles 1/4 the price. In the USA I just don't see it, not for $1500 for a 9 pound bolt action, or $2500 for the 7.25 pound version. In other countries, I can definitely see the draw. Here you can buy 9 pound AR10's in 308 for less than $1000 that are pretty dang accurate. Benelli makes their R1 semi auto in 300 win mag for about $1500, maybe less. Even comparing Browning BAR (not the real BAR) in 300 win mag is under $1500, and weighs less than the Savage Impulse.

I think the idea has some merit. In the USA I think the only way they would ever become popular is if they made a mini version. Get it on a small short action, get that weight down below 7 pounds. Make it an honestly competitive by offering a lighter weight alternative to an AR-15 for coyote, pig, or even deer hunting that will cycle with any ammo you put in it. With the popularity of suppressors and subsonic ammo I think they could sell at $1000. Get much over that price, and again, there are too many better options.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-25-2023 at 11:42 PM.

I think a light bolt action carbine that takes AR mags is a great idea, and not just for folks in restricted areas. I love my Ruger American Ranch with Nodak Spud sights, and would choose it over an AR any day.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. From anther thread, I have some time and will be looking out for a .338 in Ruger M77 Hawkeye (not the Alaskan, at least a 24" barrel), either the A-Bolt or X-Bolt Browning, or Weatherby Vanguard. The X-Bolt and Vanguard are known to me, both the M77 and W-Bolt were not. Once again appreciate the info.
    -Paul