Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need someone with a lathe to thin the rims on my cases

Boolit Master

Need someone with a lathe to thin the rims on my cases

Have about 50 .348 cases formed and trimmed to .44-77, but the rims are .076-.077 and they will supposedly fit the Shiloh chambers, but not the C. Sharps chambers, which take a thinner .067 rim. This must have been the reamer my gunsmith used. So I need to find a "cartridge machinist" who can uniformly shave .01 off the forward edges of the rims on these cases. Anyone out there wants to raise their hand or direct me to a good source for this work?

If you have a cordless drill and some emery cloth... you would be able to shave 10 thou (5 thou really) pretty quick. Make sure to hit with a scotch brite pad or 320 grit afterwards to smooth the rim up. The only question is... will a standard drill chuck (3/8") chuck up a 348 case easily? It should fit (.348 plus rim thickness x 2 vs the .375 max chuck when fully open) but a 1/2" chuck would be better if available.
    Last edited by maxreloader; 01-20-2023 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

Wondering if you explained this to the smith if he could cut it back another .010 for you. This way when you make more cases they are good to go and you dont have to go thru this again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Have about 50 .348 cases formed and trimmed to .44-77, but the rims are .076-.077 and they will supposedly fit the Shiloh chambers, but not the C. Sharps chambers, which take a thinner .067 rim. This must have been the reamer my gunsmith used. So I need to find a "cartridge machinist" who can uniformly shave .01 off the forward edges of the rims on these cases. Anyone out there wants to raise their hand or direct me to a good source for this work?
    Have you checked this physically in the chamber ? I have 348 cases here and my measure for rim thickness is .63 to .67 (only using calipers)- I would make darn sure they wont chamber before I went off thinning rims ---- what brand brass is it? if its definitely a problem - look for some 348 winchester brand cases - the winchester case drawings I see are all .70 rim thickness - I have several hundred rounds of winchester 348 brass two batches bought 25 years apart and all of it is well under spec body diameter compared to the drawing measurements. Just wondering if you are about to spend time and money fixing a non existent problem ???????

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Joe is right.
    Unless that reamer used on your rifle was designed to take 348 cases as is those cases will need to be staged down at the case head as well.
    If you do determine that the rim thickness is the culprit for not being able to chamber be sure to take the metal off of the top of the rim and not the bottom or you’ll likely end up having to use large pistol primers to keep from having high primer problems
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    Albert, I have the setup to do just what you need. I did some of this work when the first of the Win 76's came out, their rim recess was a bit shallow and needed the rims thined from the underside. I will PM you with more info.
    Sam

Boolit Master
    Nuclearcricket to the rescue. Thanks Sam.

Boolit Master
    Confession time. It wasn't the rim thickness.
    I bought what I was told were .44-77 cases formed from .348. But the reason they would not fully seat in the chamber of my rolling block is because the shoulder on these cases is a bit too far forward. When I run the cases into a .43 Mauser form die, the shoulder is pushed back and the cases seat just fine.
    My reference for case dimensions is Cartridges of the World, 11th edition, which lists bullet, neck, shoulder, base and rim diameters (and rim thickness for some cases), but there are no specifications for where the shoulder starts or where the neck starts.
    Gad. There's no fool like an old fool, eh?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Confession time. It wasn't the rim thickness.
    I bought what I was told were .44-77 cases formed from .348. But the reason they would not fully seat in the chamber of my rolling block is because the shoulder on these cases is a bit too far forward. When I run the cases into a .43 Mauser form die, the shoulder is pushed back and the cases seat just fine.
    My reference for case dimensions is Cartridges of the World, 11th edition, which lists bullet, neck, shoulder, base and rim diameters (and rim thickness for some cases), but there are no specifications for where the shoulder starts or where the neck starts.
    Gad. There's no fool like an old fool, eh?
    ahh but theres another old fool grinnin big time cuz he got this one right
    but hey how good is it that we can all come here and pick one anothers brains for hints and tips - proly dont save us time but saves a lot of aggravation at times .

Boolit Master

Fellas, I thank Providence for discussions like this one in this fine forum. Enlightening to us all.

Just be glad you discovered this BEFORE you got the rims trimmed!!

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)