RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: A little bit of humor

Boolit Master

A little bit of humor

We are all familiar with the question" How much does a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights weigh?"
    Well my question is " How many wheel weights could you put in a wheelbarrow and push it uphill?"
    I went into a tire store on a whim and asked "Do you have any wheel weights to get rid of?" The answer was" Well the guy that usually gets them hasn't been here in a while. You can get them if you like." I just had one 5 gallon bucket with me. I loaded the bucket up about 6 times with as much weight as I could carry. In addition to the loose weights there were three cardboard boxes and I had to remove weight so I could carry the boxes.
    I had to dump the wheel weights out in the back of my SUV. I have a rubber mat to protect the carpet. When I got home I loaded the wheel weights into a wheel barrow. I had to push it uphill into my garage.
    My guess is there was about 400 pounds in the wheel barrow. Keep in mind that I had just eaten at a Mexican restaurant.
    All in all I got about 7 gallons of wheel weights. It took me about 4-5 hours to sort them out. And yes there was a lot of steel and zinc mixed in. Enquiring minds want to know.
    I gave them $30 to buy a pizza with for lunch. And the owner said "we are glad to get rid of them" and I said thank you.

Cool.

My Dad would say, "I like those deals where everybody wins".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You were lucky to find them. From what I’ve been hearing, lead wheel weights are getting scarce.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    " How many wheel weights could you put in a wheelbarrow and push it uphill?"
    I loaded the wheel weights into a wheel barrow. I had to push it uphill into my garage.
    My guess is there was about 400 pounds in the wheel barrow.
    Depends:
    1.) on the man
    2.) on the hill
    3.) on the wheelbarrow

You are "da Man" and your hill was overcome with a "fit" wheelbarrow. I suspect that there were about 3 gallons and about 65 pounds of WW's per bucket, placing the "total weight" right at 400 pounds. So, 7 gallons of WW's approaches 40% of your total "haul". The other 60% is a heap of steel and zinc WW's...Save the zinc for fishing sinker casting!

Thirty bucks for their pizza, $0.20 per pound for your WW"s, and a Win-Win for everyone.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 02-26-2023 at 06:40 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Do you have an idea of the split between lead and "other". I haven't gotten any in about 10 years and curious if the percentage of lead has decreased to the point it may not be worth it. Yea, know about depends on available time, etc but just curious. Thanks.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    At my age wore out body i dont think i could push one down hill.

Boolit Master
    ^^^

And if you got it going, stopping would be an even bigger problem!

But congrats on having a pleasant sort of conundrum!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Got to be careful . Pushing 400 pounds up hill after eating mexican been known to cause them racing stripes to appear in the rear of your drawers.

PS: From what I've seen them hills in West Virginia are sometimes called mountains in flatter states.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I got about 9-10 gallons of "waste". There was a lot of tire stickers and more steel weights ,zinc than I have seen before. Weight wise it was about 50/50 or 40/60.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I got about 9-10 gallons of "waste". There was a lot of tire stickers and more steel weights ,zinc than I have seen before. Weight wise it was about 50/50 or 40/60.
    Thanks. That is about what I thought the percentages were heading to.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Do you have an idea of the split between lead and "other". I haven't gotten any in about 10 years and curious if the percentage of lead has decreased to the point it may not be worth it. Yea, know about depends on available time, etc but just curious. Thanks.
    Ron
    I'm not the OP but I still get weights from a small local shop. Over the years my yield has gradually dropped to 50-55% lead. I am seeing more steel and less Zinc. This is in Arkansas if it helps you any.