Lee PrecisionPBcastcoReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another icon gone - David Crosby passed away

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    What I found interesting was He lived to be 81 yrs old. Now I'm not sure to what extent his "addictions" were? But usually that takes a toll on your health, and living that long is a great exception.
    Didn't he make it on someone else's liver??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Didn't he make it on someone else's liver??
    Yeah, yesterday I heard that he had a Liver swap 30 years ago, and apparently that's when he cleaned up the drug abuse.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My son came in from college all excited about finding a whole new mind blowing book. So he went on and on. I told him to go look in my library, 2nd book case, third shelf down in the middle, the red spine book. He came back holding Coney Island of The Mind, the book he was talking about. The more things change the more they are the same.

So CSN is more an occurrence of the time and the culture, with the music they made being timeless. You recognize the music anywhere you go where the bands or individuals play music near the coast. I had occasion to tie up my boat to a dock or two.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Crosby helped the Dead learn to sing harmonies together. Four way Street is a wonderful evocative album As is Dejavu.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    They were relevant in their time despite their advocation for Communism , never saw them as anything but Commies and more popular now than ever.
    Randy, what you said makes me think, Were you in the service and by any chance a Vietnam Vet? I am and before I was drafted I had long hair and protested the war. Was I a hippie? Don't know, I hung out with them, went to Woodstock with them. Does that make me a commie? I protested the war outside the Army base fence and gat gassed constantly and you know what? When I got drafted I went in and did my time, got the spare bullets to carry around for the rest of my life along with other scraps of metal in me. Came home and got the same treatment as all the other vets. Called commie baby killers and spit on. Guess that makes me a commie now doesn't it. No, It does not. Do not label people because of their lifestyles 60 years ago. Or what we were forced to do 60 years ago! And most of those musicians cleaned up their drug use many years ago. As did most of the so called hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Randy, what you said makes me think, Were you in the service and by any chance a Vietnam Vet? I am and before I was drafted I had long hair and protested the war. Was I a hippie? Don't know, I hung out with them, went to Woodstock with them. Does that make me a commie? I protested the war outside the Army base fence and gat gassed constantly and you know what? When I got drafted I went in and did my time, got the spare bullets to carry around for the rest of my life along with other scraps of metal in me. Came home and got the same treatment as all the other vets. Called commie baby killers and spit on. Guess that makes me a commie now doesn't it. No, It does not. Do not label people because of their lifestyles 60 years ago. Or what we were forced to do 60 years ago! And most of those musicians cleaned up their drug use many years ago. As did most of the so called hippies.
    That's well said Rick. My late eldest brother came back but never really came back, and same with my good friend, who was a tunnel rat. I was a corpsman who missed the war by about 3 years. I'm glad you came back.

It was a long time ago. Their music was and remains an important part of our cultural and historical legacy, in my opinion. Right now I'm literally hearing Stills' 4 and 20, and remember something I saw, I didn't know they came on Dick Cavett the day after Woodstock closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdy4uNwR54

They were so young. Their voice belied their years.
    -Paul

If he had been an average Joe, he would never have qualified for a replacement liver. Had a friend who at 35 died while they contemplated his prior alcohol use. He had been clean and sober about 10 years, but they had him at the bottom of the list. Just sain. Yeah, Crosby had a good voice. And that's all I'll say.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    If he had been an average Joe, he would never have qualified for a replacement liver. Had a friend who at 35 died while they contemplated his prior alcohol use. He had been clean and sober about 10 years, but they had him at the bottom of the list. Just sain. Yeah, Crosby had a good voice. And that's all I'll say.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I'm really sorry you lost your friend. I will never forget following the story of Erika Zak. A warrior. 1000's were with her.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

We’re all products of our own environments, eras, strengths and weaknesses. Frankly I’m amazed more of us didn’t experience worse after effects from the excesses we willingly subjected ourselves to. I accept responsibility for my past stupid choices and the course my life took because of them. More than that I regret the heartache my poor choices caused those around me. Few of us, myself included, were, or are perfect. All of us have redeeming qualities. I can’t undo what I’ve done, only try to make amends for it with the time i have left.
    God gave Crosby an incredible gift. I’m glad he managed to dispel some of his demons before going home.

I'm sitting here right now watching a pretty sizable YouTube vid of Crosby doing a full interview called Lyrically Speaking I think. (seven year ago)

He's one on one with the interviewer (Zollo), doing a little guitar and singing, mostly talking and reminiscing.

I've got a little bit of talent -- not enough to do much with it. I thank the Lord that I've got enough talent to appreciate and enjoy folks who are the real deal.

Crosby has expressed his love for our US Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence, -- all AS WRITTEN.

I'm enjoying it and would recommend it if you're a fan. jd
    Last edited by hoodat; 01-22-2023 at 08:30 PM.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    he left us with a lot of good music. he was a good musician right in the middle of a huge hotbed of talent as he entered adulthood, starting out on a super success career with the Byrds as a hit song writer and cowriter. he was right in the middle of a whole new form of modern music from where Elvis and chuck berry, buddy holly, the Beatles and others started. among the folks he associated with at the time were on the forefront of modern music. Crosby was instrumental in getting Joni Mitchell heard by the right people including Elliot Roberts and David geffen, Jackson brown, cass Elliot and the mommas and the poppas. Elliot along with Crosby who introduced many of the best musicians from San Francisco to laurel canyon to one another including the eagles. as a result a lot of what we heard and hear on the radio came about. at least thats my understanding of it.
    no-one lives forever. the man lived a full life. the way this year is starting out we may just lose a lot of other great musicians this year as many of the ones that created the music of our youth are getting up there in the years. may the good lord have mercy on his soul.

If I could only remember my name. His best work ever. That inspired a lot of musicians. Including the first starship recording Blows against the empire. He did a good bit of the back up vocals for them. Yea I can see where people could see him as a commie. Still think it was about the music.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12