Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Ruglin models coming soon.

Boolit Buddy

More Ruglin models coming soon.

Just watched a video from Ruger that stated we will see 336’s very soon and 1894’s by spring. Both in walnut not the laminate crud they offered in 1895’s.

If their prices aren't crazy expensive, they should do well.

Back in the 90s, nobody had hardly ever heard of lever guns in handgun chamberings.
    Now, it seems like everybody has or wants one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If their prices aren't crazy expensive, they should do well.

Back in the 90s, nobody had hardly ever heard of lever guns in handgun chamberings.
    Now, it seems like everybody has or wants one.
    I 'fell in love' with them when I started CAS. At one time they were as cheap or cheaper to shoot than .22's if you cast and reloaded. I had four, down to three, but will be selling one shortly.

Bought a couple of Hi-Point 9mm carbines that are 1/3 the cost of a Marlin and serve the same purpose. If I have to shoot a two legged critter, I am not out a $1000 gun, (that does not get returned), while they "investigate". 9mm just as effective on coyotes off the porch at 100 yards. And I can throw the Hi-Point in the tractor or UTV and not worry about dinging it up.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I 'fell in love' with them when I started CAS. At one time they were as cheap or cheaper to shoot than .22's if you cast and reloaded. I had four, down to three, but will be selling one shortly.

Bought a couple of Hi-Point 9mm carbines that are 1/3 the cost of a Marlin and serve the same purpose. If I have to shoot a two legged critter, I am not out a $1000 gun, (that does not get returned), while they "investigate". 9mm just as effective on coyotes off the porch at 100 yards. And I can throw the Hi-Point in the tractor or UTV and not worry about dinging it up.
    Everything you say is true, and none of it is reason enough to forego an 1894 for a Highpoint.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If I have to shoot a two legged critter, I am not out a $1000 gun, (that does not get returned), while they "investigate".
    This 1000%. Don't use a hard to replace and/or sentimental gun as your first line self-defense gun. The gun will pass through many hands and possibly a few different agencies before it is returned to you and it may come back in worse shape or get "lost".
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Everything you say is true, and none of it is reason enough to forego an 1894 for a Highpoint.
    This is the reason right here:

If I have to shoot a two legged critter, I am not out a $1000 gun, (that does not get returned), while they "investigate".
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I got a Marlin CB in .357/.38Spec. more or less just for the novelty of them.
    Then I figured out I could cast and shoot .38s for about the same price as CCI .22 Stingers.
    Back then, .38 range brass was $10. per thousand, so picking up brass out in the wild wasn't a big priority.

I liked that so much, I got a Marlin carbine in .357, then a .44Mag in a CB model.
    If it cost more to load & shoot the .44Mag, I barely noticed it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have pistol caliber lever guns in .357 Magnum, .44Magnum and .45Colt, so I may not buy a Ruger/Marlin in those calibers.
    However, if they make it in .41Magnuum I will be first in line to buy one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    This is the reason right here:
    Suffering through life shooting a Highpoint on an infinitesimal chance of losing $1,000 is a very poor life choice.

And banging an 1894 around on a tractor, even if it lowers the value to $0, will have provided well over $1,000 in joy over that lifetime.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master
    Suffering through life shooting a Highpoint on an infinitesimal chance of losing $1,000 is a very poor life choice.

And banging an 1894 around on a tractor, even if it lowers the value to $0, will have provided well over $1,000 in joy over that lifetime.
    For me a tractor/UTV/truck gun is not there to provide joy. It is a tool. Might need it for a coyote or other trouble. I am currently looking for a couple of beater Mossberg 500's but the Hi-point will get that duty in the meantime. I am not intending to bring the gun into the house at the end of the day. A gun that can "live" in the vehicle it what I am looking for. If it rusts in a few years, it will not matter. Something reliable and cheap to replace.

I will keep the 1894 carbines in the house until we want to play with them.
    Don Verna

We can just agree to disagree. I split the difference and use my Rossi .357 and AR's as knockaround guns.

For me a tractor/UTV/truck gun is not there to provide joy. It is a tool. Might need it for a coyote or other trouble. I am currently looking for a couple of beater Mossberg 500's but the Hi-point will get that duty in the meantime. I am not intending to bring the gun into the house at the end of the day. A gun that can "live" in the vehicle it what I am looking for. If it rusts in a few years, it will not matter. Something reliable and cheap to replace.

I will keep the 1894 carbines in the house until we want to play with them.
    Agree with you totally. Far as the 500's go, I would just buy a couple of new Mossberg Mavericks. Around here they cost about the same as a used 500 and come with three chokes. I've seen the short barrel cylinder bore security version under $200 on sale.

Boolit Master
    If Ruger actually follows through -- and this I've gotta see, at least per the quoted timetable -- just maybe it will let some of the air out of the ridiculous prices being asked for plain vanilla 336s and even Glenfields ...

Boolit Master
    I’d like to get me a .44 mag with 16” barrel if I can afford when they’re available. Im not impressed with Rossi’s twist rate. I have a Rossi 24” chambered in .357 mag and it needs to be pushed for decent accuracy with their 1:30” twist.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    Just watched a video from Ruger that stated we will see 336’s very soon and 1894’s by spring. Both in walnut not the laminate crud they offered in 1895’s.
    I love rugged dependability and long life in hunting rifles so I strongly disagree with your definition of "crud".

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I love rugged dependability and long life in hunting rifles so I strongly disagree with your definition of "crud".
    I like laminate quite alot too. I don't think Ruglin is trying to play the vintage card with the current 1895 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    If Ruger actually follows through -- and this I've gotta see, at least per the quoted timetable -- just maybe it will let some of the air out of the ridiculous prices being asked for plain vanilla 336s and even Glenfields ...
    I sure hope so, however the premium added by the magic JM stamp is probably here to stay. Around here, you can't find a used Marlin lever action on the shelf for any price. People are hanging on to them.

Boolit Grand Master

No worries. Plenty of Highpoints available.

Boolit Buddy
    My crud comment is my opinion of the aesthetics laminate stocks have on lever rifles especially considering the cost of the 1895’s. I own a few laminate stocked rifles. They are a tick better than a cheap plastic stock in my opinion. I’ll take a nice piece of walnut any day over laminate. I do value H-S and B&C stocks when utmost precision is desired from my bolt action hunting rifles.

No worries. Plenty of Highpoints available.
    Hey, they get the job done and that's what matters. There is a Steyr AUG style bullpup kit for High Points that looks really cool. Supposedly they are going to make one that takes Glock mags here soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast