WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
PBcastco Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood Trailing Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    He would always come back within the hour,
    A life long friend's father in law had some pedigree hound he'd take out in the local river bottoms and let him
    chase what ever was out there. One time he didn't come back.
    3-4 days later, a little old lady about 15 miles away called and said he was on her porch.
    She'd fed him left over meat loaf & mashed potatoes and seemed fine. He went and got him.

A few weeks later. Same thing, he didn't come back.
    3-4 days later same little old lady called. He went and got him again.

The next time he took the dog out, it did it again. When the little old lady called, he asked her if she'd like to keep him.
    'Oh yes. We just love each other, and he really likes my cooking'. ............. He didn't go get him that time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a fat, lazy Jack Russell/Feist mix that I spent 6 months trying to train to blood trail. She was not interested. Then I took her with me when I was helping my son track a deer that he had shot. When we found the deer, you could see the light come on in her mind. She has tracked about a dozen since then. She learned by watching us, in about 10 minutes.

I had a Catahoula that would quickly find anything wounded. She was awesome in many ways, bit mean for public consumption though. Not a good fishing dog.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Had a female Labrador retriever that was a blood trailing machine.
    Water no problem as she loved it, finally old age and cancer took her last year.
    Tremendous drive and determination this animal had.
    The Labradors one flaw, They don't bark a whole lot so one needs to be able to follow or track the dog.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I've been hooked on these german wirehairs for thirty or forty years now. It would be odd for them not to find any wounded deer, bear, boar, bunny, squirrel, bird, coyote, cat, bat, mouse, bug, lizard, fish, frog, -- and that's likely even without blood. I have watched them follow the direction that guns have been fired, and dig the ground up where the bullets hit. You can throw a rock into a pile of rocks, and they will bring back the right rock. jd

Attachment 309483
    This breed has my vote for all around gundog, my son has a 2 year old Deutsh Drahthaar same breed with stricter breeding guidelines hears a link to good article https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/...profile/175344
    I have had labs and Chesapeake Bay retrievers for years when all I did was bird hunt She has more hunting drive than any dog i have been around.
    If it lives and moves in your yard shes on it, his dog excels in tracking, she will take down a wounded deer trying to get up and run she's fearless and an alpha predator.
    Now the bad, she is going to be the alpha dog around other dogs.
    She loves to play with other dogs, but if any dog from Chihuahua, to a Great Dane growls or shows aggression shame on them.
    He has to watch her around other dogs.
    When she tracks and finds an animal its hers, she won't tolerate another dog on her animal, at the skinning rack she will lay there and guard it.
    They have no kids at home shes a house dog, great friendly disposition as a family dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12