RotoMetals2PBcastcoInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Trailing Dogs

Boolit Master

Blood Trailing Dogs

I've been without a dog for quite a while. The freedom is nice, but the companionship and adventures from years gone by are missed. Been mulling over the benefit of a good blood trailing dog. Be good for my son and I plus to get out to assist others in finding their deer. I don't have any real experience with this type of trailing or the dogs used for such fun. Could a beagle work? I used to love rabbit hunting over my well trained hounds, but a multipurpose dog would be even more interesting.
    Any experiences in this to share?

Boolit Master

I have a friend with a dachshund that is a great trailing dog. He also has worked with his german shepherd and the GS is pretty good as well.

Likely none will blood trail without some work and training.

Banner Sponsor

A guy in our club has a small Mountain Cur and she is awesome at blood trailing.

Boolit Master
    For trailing if you want a small dog, then a non-pet grade standard size beagle.

Other wise get a hound because trailing is what they do.

Edit: for multipurpose dogs, get a cur dog of which there multiple breeds. They can trail, herd cattle, run deer, and protect the homestead.

Boolit Master
    dogs for trailing deer is illegal in new york buddy took his house cat out and found the deer funny stuff there

I've been hooked on these german wirehairs for thirty or forty years now. It would be odd for them not to find any wounded deer, bear, boar, bunny, squirrel, bird, coyote, cat, bat, mouse, bug, lizard, fish, frog, -- and that's likely even without blood. I have watched them follow the direction that guns have been fired, and dig the ground up where the bullets hit. You can throw a rock into a pile of rocks, and they will bring back the right rock. jd

Attachment 309483
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    You can throw a rock into a pile of rocks, and they will bring back the right rock. jd
    That I can understand and believe. What I don't understand and would not believe had I not seen it with my own eyes. A buddy had a dog that would retrieve rocks thrown into a fast-moving river with a rocky bottom at a depth of 6 to 8 feet. He would not send the dog until the rock had settled to the bottom yet the dog always brought the correct one back.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

These two would find it, discuss it, then move on in a different direction to take a nap….
    Great noses on the little ones. I’ve read that Chihuahuas are used in the thorny brush country down in sw Texas for finding wounded/dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    yip Ive seen dogs dive down n get rocks..mate had a labradore /ridgeback cross who would dive under water and bring back ducklings without ruffling the feathers,she would heal cattle extremely hard and was dynamite holder of pigs.

teaching a dog....any dog to find wounded,dead game is either really easy or its not... food drive can be your best friend,if dog likes titbits off carcass and associates finding it with getting them=job done.
    there are countless ways of doing it...air vs ground scent comes into it too...airscent will still work in the rain... completely different ways to work each type of dog...ground scent has to follow trail whereas airscenter will need to have airflow from area you THINK animal is in towards them. always thought one of them teacup chiwahwah would be ideal..keep yapping little snapper in your daybag till needed then let it out to do job..and pop it back in again LOL.
    foxy....many folks hunt with them...if you can curb the enthusiasm to go off and do their own thing they are gold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    These two would find it, discuss it, then move on in a different direction to take a nap….
    Great noses on the little ones. I’ve read that Chihuahuas are used in the thorny brush country down in sw Texas for finding wounded/dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only short coming that I see with smaller dogs like standard Chihuahuas is that make wholesome meals for coywolves that are moving down the east coast into my area of Florida.

I had a black lab that I was teaching to retrieve when harvest season came. We did most of the training after 10 at night when I got home.

A year later I could handle and throw a quarter, or a single car key, with her eyes covered into an uncut lawn. She would go right to it, sniff it out, pick it up and drop it into my hand. She learned to retrieve by sound. Duck splashed in the marsh she did not have to see it. She heard it, and knew where it was.

Mom used to take her for walks at the high school track. But she kept coming up to mom with baby robin's fresh out of the nest or baby kildeer. Not a feather out of place, totally unharmed. And mom is standing there going "what do I do with this?"
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions, Gents. We always had dog when growing up on the farm, but not a lick of actual training went into any of them. We didn't know how and didn't have the time to even consider it. Consequently many of them did not amount to much more than a yard dog. I learned to train beagles to trail rabbits in my early 20's. To see them finally 'Get It' was superbly satisfying. My favorite beagle ran rabbits ragged and stayed on trail until I either shot the quarry or had to go pick him up. Then, when the kids joined 4H we learned how to obedience and show train Norwegian Elkhounds. To actually watch a dog dutifully obey the commands we were teaching it was another major accomplishment. I saw a bumper sticker one of the 4H parents had on their car that said 'Happiness is a well trained dog' and I immediately realized how true that is. Eventually a bit of 'Happiness' needs to make its home with me again. With deer hunting being my main Fall/Winter sporting activity was thinking a blood trailing dog may be a good fit. Glad I asked this group. Your suggestions and photos are giving me food for thought.

Boolit Master
    The trouble with some smaller breeds is that they lack stamina and range. I have seen Jack Russell Terriers do an amazing job of staying up with a horse but dachshunds might have some issues if you had to go very far (and I am a great fan of wiener dogs - having owned almost a dozen over the years). Dachshunds are great rat dogs in barns but their short legs work against them over distance.

My son does a lot of trailing in scrub and heavy West Texas brush, and he uses dogs that are usually a mix of black mouth cur and border collie. He has also had Tennessee Walker blood tossed in occasionally for additional smell capability. With all of that said, straight black mouth or Texas Blue Lacey dogs are some of the best hunters around. Rhodesian ridgebacks are also good but they are a large dog that tends to eat you out of house and home.

Boolit Grand Master

Spaniels also. There are always some neighbor with mix Spaniels they want to get into a good home. They flat like to sit and wait still sitting for the shot or get to be a part of the follow up.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    We had a chocolate Lab that would retrieve a "rock" from a pile of rocks, sticks from the woods, frisbees thrown as hard as possible (while he was blind folded) and virtually anything else, water retrieves as well....miss him everyday

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with Blue Healer Rotti mix, Healer being 65-80% of the mix.

Boolit Master
    The OP mentioned beagles in the first post, and they are also a great choice for this type of work. I had a couple when I was a kid growing up and mine were great companions out in the field.

Boolit Grand Master

We hunted fox in SW Michigan with beagles. They were great fantastic trackers. Once on a trail they never gave up.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Most all dogs can or will do it to one degree or another.
    But the ones with the big floppy ears that sort of funnel smells into their nose seem to be the best at tracking.

Years ago, we had a mildly retarded basset hound that could track or smell anything.
    But after about 50 yards--- he was ready for a nap.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Most all dogs can or will do it to one degree or another.
    But the ones with the big floppy ears that sort of funnel smells into their nose seem to be the best at tracking.

Years ago, we had a mildly retarded basset hound that could track or smell anything.
    But after about 50 yards--- he was ready for a nap.
    That reminds me of a beagle bitch I had. I would almost have to carry her after a little bit, while all the time her partner would never quit. But when she did get on scent with him she would follow up the trail pretty well. By herself, though, I was better off hunting alone. Ha, fun memories.

I can a beagle be taught how to blood trail a deer, still hunt rabbits, but not chase deer when rabbit hunting? That would be a feat.

Had an English Coon Hound (didn't know England had a coon problem) once. He was all out for the first 45 minutes. Too busy running around, even chasing deer to be any count for rabbits. He would always come back within the hour, though, settle down and be spot on for the bunnies. Killed many behind him but couldn't take a walk with the family without him barking madly the whole time if left behind in the kennel. Got to be able to take the pros with the cons no matter the breed/mix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast