Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Full Wadcutter 148 gr DEWC using Unique

Full Wadcutter 148 gr DEWC using Unique

I would like to develop a 38 Spl full wadcutter load using 148 gr cast DEWC and Alliant Unique for use in my +P rated S&W 442. My Lyman reloading manual lists max 4.2 grs Unique with a button nosed type WC.

Does anyone have a recommended and proven full WC load using 148 gr DEWC & Unique? I was thinking of starting with 3.5 grs Unique and working up over chronograph.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

Eric
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

I have loaded a bunch of those with Unique.
    I used 4.0 grains.

Even with the max. loading, you won't shoot your eye out, or hurt that S&W.
    Just don't try to make it into a .357.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    3.5 grains of Unique in .38 Special is max for a flush-seated, soft-swaged, HBWC without blowing the skirt.

4 grains is correct with a 146-148-grain solid DEWC or button nose like #358495.

If bullets are seated out longer than 1.20" OAL then 4.5 grains of Unique is OK, but is a full charge load.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-19-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I'm all about the 4.0 gr Unique load under the Lee Button Nose.. Just short of 800fps out of a (ported) 3" Taurus 85
    Looked all over...and I guess I have Never checked that loading in a 357!!! Will rectify that...

Boolit Buddy
    When I was shooting Bullseye match's with wadcutters my charge was 3.5 of Unique. I used that load on DEWC seated flush and BNWC seated to crimp in groove (Lee). That's where the accuracy was. I have gone higher but much past 3.7 and accuracy was gone. My alloy is 2-tin and 4-antimony. around 14 +/- brinell. I have shot some with 3.3 tightgroup in 38 cases and fired in 357 guns and they felt Hot. My 3.5 unique feels like a target load from a recoil standpoint. I think your plan is solid but probably start at 3.7/3.8 unique for full charge loads. Let us know the numbers when you finish, that would be good data.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    When I was shooting Bullseye match's with wadcutters my charge was 3.5 of Unique. I used that load on DEWC seated flush and BNWC seated to crimp in groove (Lee). That's where the accuracy was. I have gone higher but much past 3.7 and accuracy was gone. My alloy is 2-tin and 4-antimony. around 14 +/- brinell. I have shot some with 3.3 tightgroup in 38 cases and fired in 357 guns and they felt Hot. My 3.5 unique feels like a target load from a recoil standpoint. I think your plan is solid but probably start at 3.7/3.8 unique for full charge loads. Let us know the numbers when you finish, that would be good data.
    Tony
    Based on this...I may back off that Bit
    Thanks

Great inputs Gentlemen, thank you very much. Now I’m waiting for the ice and snow to melt here in the high desert to get out to my spots
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    I would like to develop a 38 Spl full wadcutter load using 148 gr cast DEWC and Alliant Unique for use in my +P rated S&W 442. My Lyman reloading manual lists max 4.2 grs Unique with a button nosed type WC.

Does anyone have a recommended and proven full WC load using 148 gr DEWC & Unique? I was thinking of starting with 3.5 grs Unique and working up over chronograph.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

Eric
    I trust Lyman and My first load manual was #45. The guy at the gun store put me on to it and showed me I could load all of my handguns with cast bullets and Unique powder .32S&WL to .45Colt and even .44Mag 11gr with a 429421 for almost a full magnum load. It was 2 or 3 years before I bought my first can of 2400.........................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I trust Lyman and My first load manual was #45. The guy at the gun store put me on to it and showed me I could load all of my handguns with cast bullets and Unique powder .32S&WL to .45Colt and even .44Mag 11gr with a 429421 for almost a full magnum load. It was 2 or 3 years before I bought my first can of 2400.........................
    Dont forget more than a few Bottleneck ctgs as well!!!! 30-30, 7TCU, 300 Savage, 7X57... I'm Sure there are more, just that I use!!

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, ran some 160gr LEE R1 (nose flattened slightly during sizing deliberately) over 11.5gr Unique in my Savage 308Win. Sweet plinking load but still capable of ruining Mr Coyote's perfect day. Load in LYMAN #3 Cast Bullet manual. Can go higher but saw no need as load accomplished it's intended purpose (Plinking).