Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Reloader 7 for 6.5x52 cast boolit load?

Boolit Bub

Reloader 7 for 6.5x52 cast boolit load?

I know, I know, 2400 or even stuff as fast as unique would be preferable but I live way down south (we still fly the Union Jack here). There is no fast burning powder at the moment and I am reluctant to use my Trailboss stash as I need it to run my 38 PPC load with it. This makes paper punching with cast boolits very hard.

I managed to secure 2 lb of Reloader-7 but manufacturer lists almost no data on its website (all light for caliber J-word boolits). I am not familiar with RX-7 and I have never tried reduced load with something this slow before, I am actually a little nervous.

I have found some data on Lyman 48th edition for the usual stuff but no 6.5X52. So I looked at 6.5x55, it lists 15-27gr RX7 for Lyman 266469 140gr. Considering the case capacity is 49gr for 6.5*52 and 58gr for 6.5*55, I just multiply the rage with a factor of 0.84 and got 12.7-22.8. Give it a large safety margin of 3 gr either way, I still get 15.7-19.8gr to play with.

Do you guys think it is about right? Or am I missing something?

Also, the data is 20 years old, I believe RX7 was made by another company before, were there significant differences then and now?

And would a filler such as dacron be required for reduced load using RX7?

Also calculated about 29 gr for 7.62*54R, 308W and 303Brith, 31gr for 30-06, all with 180 cast boolits, 27.5 gr for 8*57 with 190gr boolit, do they sound about right?

Any comments and advise appreciated

Boolit Master
    AP3ON: I entered data for 6.5-52 Carcano, Lyman # 266469, and Reloader #7 into GRT, and here are the results that I found. (This information is for educational purposes only. Like all loads that you find on internet forums it could be totally whack. Proceed with caution. etc.)

Starting load: (the lowest load before warnings appear about insufficient powder/pressure/burn rate) 16.5 grains - 1481 fps - 10,524 psi - 85.5% propellant burn
    Mid level load: 20.0 grains - 1754 fps - 16,302 psi - 100% propellant burn
    Top level load: 23.5 grains - 2008 fps - 23,796 psi - 100% propellant burn

I stopped at a load that gives 2000 fps because accuracy usually starts to drop off above this speed unless advanced reloading techniques, and jumping through several flaming hoops, are involved. There are still lots of loads listed for higher velocity & pressure, so the 23.5 grain load should be way below anything dangerous. Use this info at your own discretion. I recommend that you download Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) and use it to help develop your loads.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    AP3ON: I entered data for 6.5-52 Carcano, Lyman # 266469, and Reloader #7 into GRT, and here are the results that I found. (This information is for educational purposes only. Like all loads that you find on internet forums it could be totally whack. Proceed with caution. etc.)

Starting load: (the lowest load before warnings appear about insufficient powder/pressure/burn rate) 16.5 grains - 1481 fps - 10,524 psi - 85.5% propellant burn
    Mid level load: 20.0 grains - 1754 fps - 16,302 psi - 100% propellant burn
    Top level load: 23.5 grains - 2008 fps - 23,796 psi - 100% propellant burn

I stopped at a load that gives 2000 fps because accuracy usually starts to drop off above this speed unless advanced reloading techniques, and jumping through several flaming hoops, are involved. There are still lots of loads listed for higher velocity & pressure, so the 23.5 grain load should be way below anything dangerous. Use this info at your own discretion. I recommend that you download Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) and use it to help develop your loads.
    Thanks, this is much appreciated! I will try around 20gr to start with and report back. I just picked up a Carcano M38 last week and dies are waiting for me in my post box, should be a fun weekend

Boolit Bub
    I will download GRT tonight

Boolit Master
    AP3ON: After you download the software check out the pdf with the instructions. Things might be a little confusion at first, but if you watch some youtube videos on GRT, and also read the instructions, things get easy pretty fast. I like that I can add the specs for cast bullets that aren't listed in the basic program into a users list of bullets.

Boolit Bub
    I was going to test the load tomorrow but the shell holder that came with the Lee dies totally sucked. It's a normal #2 (for 45 acp and 308/8*57) so it kept ripping the skinny carcano rims off. I have ordered a Hornady #21 but can only pick up next week so I guess I will only report back then

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have one, a shell holder for 35 Remington will work. I used one from Lyman, IIRC, back in the 70's when loading up some with RCBS dies. +1 on the 20 grain load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you, but I don't have access to 35 Rem die set, guess I have to wait.

Boolit Bub
    I said I was going to wait for the shell holder, I lied! Had 8 cases sized before I gave up using Lee shell holder so I made 4 each of TB and RX7 (1 shot at 25m so I could work out where the group might land at 50, follow by 3 **** at 50)

Not as good as I've hoped but a good place to start. 1.5 inch at 50, I guess I will be playing with OAL, sizes (269 this time) and charge weight to find the sweet spot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230124_221931~2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	309678
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230125_065030~2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	309679
    Last edited by AP30N; 01-24-2023 at 04:13 PM.