Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Sweet 16

Boolit Buddy

Sweet 16

I have a Belgium 1971 Browning Sweet 16, the shotgun shoots ok, and ejects hull ok. It has a new bronze friction ring, new recoil spring and a new action spring.
    With the bronze friction ring in the correct position, and the magazine tube dry.
    Should I be able to feel the barrel move (pogo stick effect) during recoil????
    At this time I can't feel any movement and am concerned that the bolt is hitting the back of the receiver to hard.
    I'm shooting a Estate 1oz. load at a printed on the box velocity of 1165fps.
    Thanks,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

I would say no.

If you have concerns turn the friction ring around for the magnum setting to slow the barrel more.

Boolit Master

That is, if you have it set to light loads already.

Boolit Grand Master

The magazine tube should be oiled with a drop of 30W oil. I have not noticed any difference in shooting any of my A5's versus my 1100's. The recoil impulse is fast enough that it just feels smooth to me. If the bolt is hitting the back of the receiver, you will feel it. Set it up for the max cartridges and as long as it cycles, just leave it there. If it does not eject the hull, then change the friction rings.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I will try using the max setting and let y'all know.

Boolit Grand Master

I've heard shooters claim they can feel it, but I think it has to be in their head. The cycle rate of a Remington 1100 is about 0.14 seconds. The cycle rate of a Browning A5 is around .10 seconds, about as fast as a person can blink. The barrel itself cycles in about 1/3rd that, and 2/3rds is the lifter with shell and bolt closing. If you can feel that, you are better than me.

Use a light coating of choke tube grease on the mag tube and spring or imperial sizing wax, but only a light coat like you were resizing a 22 Hornet. I can't feel mine but you can hear the difference from a gas gun (11-87).
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Yes, I have both a Belgium made Sweet 16 and an 1100 and there is no noticeable difference when shooting.

Boolit Master
    You always feel the action/gun work. If you didn't you wouldn't know when to pull the trigger again. When I got my first O?U shotgun at about age 50 I took it dove hunting late one evening. Bird came in and I shot once. Didn't pull the trigger again because the gun didn't do anything. Pumps and automatics do things. I have since learned to shoot O/U and S/S that don't do things.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm wondering if the magazine tube might be worn a thousandth or two. And might be the cause of not getting a pogo effect. But I'll try the magnum setting next week weather permitting. The wind is really gusting here and more rain predicted.
    James

Boolit Master
    That pogo stick effect is the long recoil action of the famous reliable Browning auto shotguns.
    Just load three shells and fire all three from the hip looking down and you will easily observe the auto action at work.
    The barrel recoils back and you should not grasp the barrel during firing.
    Keep forward hand on the wood forearm under the barrel.
    The bolt does not move back without the barrel during firing.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 02-16-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well knock me down with a feather!!!!!! Yesterday I got to looking at my Sweet16 and thinking about the recoil spring which I thought I had changed. So, I got the box of "old" spring down and lo and behold there was a NEW spring with a post-it on it for my Sweet 16. I changed the spring and did not oil the mag tube. Then shot a load of #6 shot. Did not eject. Drop of oil between finger and thumb rubbed the mag tube. Did not eject. Another drop did eject 1st hull not the 2nd. Another drop ejected 3 hull as fast as I could the trigger. Recoil real nice.
    Thanks for the replies
    James

Boolit Master

Yeah, I purchased a 1967 Sweet from my BIL, was raised shooting SxS and later O/U's. A semi auto is like shooting a machine, it does stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my Sweet 16. Hoping to use it a lot this year.
    James

Boolit Master
    Only time I’ve ever really noticed anything with a semi auto was with an 1100 410 skeet gun . The lack of recoil let you feel the bolt slamming home . And with that being said I’ve never noticed that with an 1100 28 gauge skeet gun .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines