RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1893 32-40

Boolit Man
    Thx Garand. Weather is finally starting to cooperate up here so I’ll be hitting the range soon. Will definitely try your recommended load.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lpel View Post
    Thx Garand. Weather is finally starting to cooperate up here so I’ll be hitting the range soon. Will definitely try your recommended load.
    Where in Canada are you located? 2 Commercial bullet casters just closed shop in Alberta & Saskatchewan due to personal medical conditions. I've also used Prairie Projectiles in Stettler AB, excellent quality products and good customer service. He has a website.

Boolit Buddy
    I was at a small gun show this past weekend and was looking at an 1893 Marlin in 32-40. It was about 80 to 85% and I was thinking about buying it but it still had "for black powder"on the barrel. It had a 1905 date and I would have thought by then that they would have dropped the black powder barrels. Does anybody have any history on why they would still have a black powder barrel and not a smokeless steel barrel by 1905 and when the switch might have made. Thanks

They made a run of the black powder only guns to use up the old barrels. they were cheaper by a couple bucks. I bought a 32 40 last weekend that was made in 1900 that has a smokeless steel barrel. They were both being manufactured at the same time.

Boolit Master
    does it really matter if its black powder barrel if your shooting light loads ??

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    does it really matter if its black powder barrel if your shooting light loads ??
    You could try it and find out.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at the bore and it was quite good. The rifling seemed quite shallow though, not near as deep as a smokeless barrel.

Boolit Man
    Garand I am located in Manitoba. I purchased a couple hundred cast 170 gr .321 from Rusty Woods. They tumble as is. They work fine if I remove the lube and PC. Makes them .325. I also use the Lee 8mm PC after casting at .330. They seem to shoot as well. But I still need to do more testing. I’m “not there” yet!

Interesting information on the black powder barrels. Mine is marked as smokeless.

Boolit Man
    So I’ve had some success at 100 yards with jacketed Hornady 8mm (.323) 170 RN Interlock and 15.0 of IMR 4227 (1214 fps). I’ve also had success with 170 RNFP cast .321 bullets that I purchased. I’ve removed the lube and am using PC to give me .325 with 13.0 4227 (1374). I’m not having much luck with my Lee 180 8mm as cast and PC (.330). I’m thinking I need to size them to .325 but as usual things not easy to obtain in Canada. I’m really wanting to shoot cast not jacketed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3B0EBFE-DE4D-40FB-A4F9-15FD870E48B1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	312002
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02F8029E-2533-415F-8BFA-254A4617C1FB.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	312003
    Last edited by lpel; 03-22-2023 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Man
    I’ve been told I should perhaps invest in new paper plates! Guess I’ll take out a loan and invest in a few more. Finally paid those off ��*♂️

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12