RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: maple sugaring time in the PacNW

Boolit Master

maple sugaring time in the PacNW

It is maple sugaring time in the PacNW. After almost 4 weeks of cloudy, dismal weather delaying tapping time of our native big leaf maples, the weather sites are predicting at least ten days of good production ahead (fingers crossed). For our trees to produce over our very long season (2-1/2 months normally), we need cool mornings with light frost followed by days close to 50 degrees with a couple hours of sun to warm the top of the trees. We have already lost three weeks of the season so , hopefully, the next ten days will give a running start.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like optimal weather, but isn't it a bit early (even in PNW) for "days of 50-degrees"?
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I start tapping my trees when I see the sap dripping on the driveway. Probably 6 weeks away.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What kinds of maples can be tapped?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What kinds of maples can be tapped?
    All along with birch

Moderator Emeritus

Boxelder trees can be tapped too... but the sugar ratio is a LOT less so have to boil down a lot more sap to get a decent amount of syrup.

Boolit Master
    here in the PacNW, our native big leaf maples are the ones to tap. There is little commercial sugaring here but up on Vancouver Island, it is a big deal with a spring festival even celebrating it. That may change in the future. Our "sugaring season" can actually be almost three months long beginning right after Christmas until first bud-out of leaves in early March depending on the weather. The trees require a frosty morning followed by sun for a couple hours mid-day to draw up the sap. So far this winter, we have had maybe three good weather days when each tree was producing a gallon per day before the cold overcast set in several days ago. When the weather was right, production was outstanding last week. Currently our trees are not producing. Given the ten day weather forecast and that most trees heal quitting producing after about 2-1/2 weeks, I may retap new trees when the weather changes. Fortunately, we already have made enough wonderful syrup for our own use. Our reduction ratio is usually about 30 oz of sap to one ounce of syrup. I have also tapped our local red alder which produces a spectacular, tasty red syrup but production per tree is so low the it is barely worth the effort except as a novelty on our table. This project is a great excuse to be out in the woods when not much fishing or hunting is going on. It has been interesting that the University of Washington is suddenly touting studies on developing this new potential industry and they are mentioning someone is Quilcene as their inspiration. Evidently, they read some of the articles I put in the local newspaper over the last 5-6 seasons about big leaf maple sugaring though no name was attributed. Reading an article in the UW newsletter last week tells me those guys have a lot to learn and one pass through by the elk in their area will ruin their project.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-26-2023 at 11:46 PM.