RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On paper @100yd with .22lr

Egg shells disappear into the dirt in a couple of days. Egg guts mostly sprayed on the visqueen gets rolled up and put in the trash.

And the fun of seeing someone with 9 well splatted eggs from a hundred yards and his reaction when you get down to the backstop and find he creased the egg and it's a leaker. Leakers are egg shooter's version of line cutters.

Or you gets down there and sees a skid mark on the side of the egg but no leak. Yes, you can skid mark an egg with a 22. Been there done that, didn't get the t-shirt.

And you don't get that lovely THAWACK! with anything other than eggs.

Boolit Master
    My thought is "if you shoot eggs, you got too much money".
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    have mine sighted in dead on at 300yds makes a little tink on steel
    The ammo I use has 156” of drop at 300 and I have to use a base I made that has elevation built into it to be zeroed at that range.

What’s your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    Or too many hens.

I liked to use Necco wafers. Only use I ever found for them. Sure couldn't stand to eat one.

I gotta dig out my old REM and try again. Thanks for the post! It did hit a barn side last time I shot it LOL...
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

I got started around last June shooting the .22lr BR at 100 yards...I like using the 3/4" stick-on spots & they are available in all colors...these dots are availlable in all sizes up to 3", I think? You can use whatever size at whatever yardage that fits your bill. Start larger and work down in size if you like...I use 8.5" x 11" cardstock paper for clean holes that can be measured fairly accurately. Targets made this way are pretty cheap.

The objective (that I've NOT achieved yet) is to get my rifle, the ammo & equipment tuned so I can eventually average 1/2" groups @100 yards...BUT...unless I am hitting what I am aiming at, I consider the group a fail.

I shoot at home alone and for me, the fun in shooting is to try to learn to shoot & judge the wind with precision...just banging at steel or plinking off beer cans doesn't hold my interest. Well, I suppose it could but I'd need a much longer range than I have & would still need precision but I am maxed out at 100 yards.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

This was done when eggs were a buck a dozen, I spent more on the first beer after the shoot than I spent on eggs. And having gathered 600+ eggs 365 days a year for years, $5 eggs is cheap.

You ever do the annual clean out a 400 hen chicken coop with a pitch fork?

In August? Why in August? Spread the manure on wheat stubble, then plow down the wheat stubble. August, minimal rain, minimal runoff.

$10 doesn't look that expensive from my point of view.

I'll raise chickens when the pigs start wearing aviator glasses.

And eggs still THAWACK! like nothing else.

Boolit Buddy
    seems to me that we used to practice at 300 with the 22 to prepare for 1000yds.

Boolit Buddy
    "You ever do the annual clean out a 400 hen chicken coop with a pitch fork? "

Done that. Choked on the ammonia for two days.

I like you guys' idea of the Necco wafers. I would only be shooting on the anise and chocolate wafers. I don't like eating those. BLEECH.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm win lee View Post
    "You ever do the annual clean out a 400 hen chicken coop with a pitch fork? "

Done that. Choked on the ammonia for two days.

I like you guys' idea of the Necco wafers. I would only be shooting on the anise and chocolate wafers. I don't like eating those. BLEECH.
    50 years later I'm positive my having almost zero sense of smell is a direct result of cleaning out those chicken coops.

Boolit Master

The worst of the lot is the Chocolate ones. Anise is my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Even at 100 yards with a 22LR? If I tried that, i'd have to spend more money on the ammo than the eggs.

I tried 100m with my 22 once. What can I say?

Now If I could just get close to Os, I would be quite happy! Just a little bit closer would be nice. That's some mighty fine shooting there, Os!

I might just take rifle to 100m range tomorrow but not the Remington. I'm shooting the Voere at the moment. It's my field gun and sometimes I take longer shots with it and find getting the elevation right to be challenging.

So, eggs for targets? Mmm ... I'd probably get shot for suggesting it! We've had this new law from around 2013 I think it was requiring a change in battery farming. Apparently, most egg farmers decided that it was too hard and expensive to comply so decided to carry on until the deadline then just quite. So now we have an egg shortage. But beer cans filled with water make a nice splash too and are more do-able for us mere mortals off the shoulder. And more available.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-24-2023 at 04:21 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Yup, if I took an egg for a target I'd get shot. Necco wafers -- for some reason I remember them as a suggested space travel food in the 50s. Before there was a NASA, they were trying to figure out what astronauts would take to eat that didn't weight much or take up a lot of room. IIRC, they used the alka-selzer pill press. Tasted about the same.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Eggs are getting crazy expensive.
    When my sons were learning, I used charcoal buckets at 100 yds, mice puff of smoke, natural, no clean up, cheap... They shot mostly with iron sights. If you can hold in a 1-inch circle at 100 yds, with a sling and iron sights, you will be compitive in any .22LR match, prone, sitting, standing, 3P, 4P...

I went to the range today and due to some mix up, I ended up on the 100m range (110yds). I thought I would at least test a 303 or two but couldn't see the 25m target with open sights so I took out the little Voere. I discovered why I was missing the long shots in the field. So I tried different ammo. Well, I managed to get some reasonable groups with Eley Team and CCI HN subs. I also learned what the drop was and it's more than I thought. Like 10 inches drop! It's zeroed at 25m which is too low.

Anyway, for the pictures;

That's Eley Team on the left and CCI SUB HN on the right.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-26-2023 at 04:46 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I got started around last June shooting the .22lr BR at 100 yards...I like using the 3/4" stick-on spots & they are available in all colors...these dots are availlable in all sizes up to 3", I think? You can use whatever size at whatever yardage that fits your bill. Start larger and work down in size if you like...I use 8.5" x 11" cardstock paper for clean holes that can be measured fairly accurately. Targets made this way are pretty cheap.

The objective (that I've NOT achieved yet) is to get my rifle, the ammo & equipment tuned so I can eventually average 1/2" groups @100 yards...BUT...unless I am hitting what I am aiming at, I consider the group a fail.

I shoot at home alone and for me, the fun in shooting is to try to learn to shoot & judge the wind with precision...just banging at steel or plinking off beer cans doesn't hold my interest. Well, I suppose it could but I'd need a much longer range than I have & would still need precision but I am maxed out at 100 yards.

Nice targets. I was just thinking that I was running low on Birchwood Casey dots, might try those instead. We use butcher paper for a backing, but as you know, we don’t get clean holes most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Nice targets. I was just thinking that I was running low on Birchwood Casey dots, might try those instead. We use butcher paper for a backing, but as you know, we don’t get clean holes most of the time.
    Try mounting your targets on cardboard. Smooth clean backer usually produces nice clean holes.

I pick up amazon boxes on trash day, grab the larger boxes.

Or during election season, the illegally placed election signs at every intersection. Those corrugated plastic signs make great backers.

And you're cleaning up the neighborhood at the same time.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s a beautiful old gun you have there Wolfdog. Make sure you take good care of it. With continued shooting, you will get even better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast