Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On paper @100yd with .22lr

On paper @100yd with .22lr

Just some fun from the other day.

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

from my archives -

.22 rf long range has been going on since before the 1940's - out to 200 yards with iron + scope with various rifles -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Did some of that way back in time with a 10/22 I'd done some work on. Turned out ok I reckon, but I haven't shot anything more than 30 yards away with it.

https://i.imgur.com/HXQjMuq.jpg
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    have mine sighted in dead on at 300yds makes a little tink on steel

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot standing pop cans at 100yds with my bolt action 22. After a while, that got old, so I turned them on their side, with the round top towards the shooter. Wasn't that hard to hit. A 22lr when sighted in dead center at 25 yards, drops 4" at 100 yds.

Boolit Master
    Had son shooting at 400 yds on steel, with his match gun, fire, count to three and ding. Swat was over a few points, doing there thing, some watching him and just shaking there heads.

Moderator Emeritus

I shot my 10/22 @ 300 yds. My holdover was around 11 feet. Was fun and I had a decent group.

You are doing quite well with the ammo and the rifles your using. You sound really enthusiastic so I hope you'll push for increased accuracy by using all the little tricks & tips us BR shooters use. I think you'll find it very satisfying improving your rifle (bedding the action)/ammo (using higher quality but not necessarily 'expensive' ammo) & tweaking the front rest.

Killough Shooting Sports ( https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...go6M%3D.QRFJzq ) sent me an email today & they have some 'really decent' affordable ammo in stock now.

I use a Caldwell BR front rest & think it's well worth the money but the windage knob has so much slack in it, it frustrates me. I solved that problem with a couple ball bearings from Amazon...

Replace the black plastic washer with the thrust bearings, one set per side and the windage will operate like it should...turn one way ever so slightly and the windage moves, turn back the other way and there's no slack in the knob, the windage moves again and very smooth to operate.

These bearings are a bit wider than the black plastic bushing so you'll have to re-install the 'nylock 8mm nut' backwards with the nylock side facing the thread.
    It's no biggie, it holds just fine...snug it up a little (not tight like it was) and feel the smoothness of the windage knob. Every little thing you do to make your gear work better translates into smaller groups.

I used some 400 grit wet/dry paper to smooth the mating (sliding) surfaces inside the rest also...makes for less drag on the adjustment knob.

Another thing to do is to lock the Mariner's Wheel when you adjust elevation and that'll take a little wiggle out of the rest also.
    Tazman, another member here explained to me that .005" wiggle in the muzzle of a 24" barrel translates into a 'miss distance' of 3/8'ths" at just 50 yards...
    so, the more steady and rock solid your setup means tighter groups too.

I guess we have discussed just about everything there is to consider with .22lr and precision shooting on a couple threads I started some time back, back when I was the 'Neophyte' to the rimfire game...here they are...they're filled with some great information by some of the most knowledgeable shooters on CB's site...

"New to Using a Peep & Globe @ 50 Yards"
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BE-at-50-yards

New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BR-at-50-yards

Then later on I finally built me a 100 yard range and the fun really started!

New with a 'F-CLASS .22 BR' at 100 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...R-at-100-yards

TUNING a .22lr BR at 100 yards...

I never thought much of the 'Lowly .22lr' & only used it for training my kids back in the 70's...never gave it much respect but after the cost & non-availability of primers & powder in the last 5 years, I started playing with the .22lr rimfire so I could shoot more. I wish now I had gone to the .22 decades ago!

Good luck, I hope you will continue videos of your progress...I subbed your channel.

charlie
    Last edited by OS OK; 01-19-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice. Keep it up!
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Just some fun from the other day.

The 521-T was one of my sons first target rifles, He won a number of competition's in, prone, standing, 3P and 4p with it, then moved on to better rifles.

two of my 521's are more accurate than any of my 513t matchmasters - got first 521 in 1956 for my 10th birthday + still have it -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Charlie (OS OK) that was a great write-up. I'm gonna get the bearings for mine. Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Charlie (OS OK) that was a great write-up. I'm gonna get the bearings for mine. Thanks
    Ron
    Your welcome.
    That rest is a fine rest but they overlooked the quality of the setup concerning the cross-slide windage mechanism. (probably because of the 'Bean Counters' cutting assembly costs?)
    Make sure you look closely at the mating surfaces of the cross-slide mechanism...chances are that your 'BR' is just like mine & they didn't sand all the extra metal from the casting's corners and mould splits from the finished rest.

Then on re-assembly I used a dry lube for these contact points so I won't have blowing sand or whatever collect there and gum-up the works.

Regards...charlie

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    You are doing quite well with the ammo and the rifles your using. You sound really enthusiastic so I hope you'll push for increased accuracy by using all the little tricks & tips us BR shooters use. I think you'll find it very satisfying improving your rifle (bedding the action)/ammo (using higher quality but not necessarily 'expensive' ammo) & tweaking the front rest.

Killough Shooting Sports ( https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...go6M%3D.QRFJzq ) sent me an email today & they have some 'really decent' affordable ammo in stock now.

I use a Caldwell BR front rest & think it's well worth the money but the windage knob has so much slack in it, it frustrates me. I solved that problem with a couple ball bearings from Amazon...

Replace the black plastic washer with the thrust bearings, one set per side and the windage will operate like it should...turn one way ever so slightly and the windage moves, turn back the other way and there's no slack in the knob, the windage moves again and very smooth to operate.

These bearings are a bit wider than the black plastic bushing so you'll have to re-install the 'nylock 8mm nut' backwards with the nylock side facing the thread.
    It's no biggie, it holds just fine...snug it up a little (not tight like it was) and feel the smoothness of the windage knob. Every little thing you do to make your gear work better translates into smaller groups.

I used some 400 grit wet/dry paper to smooth the mating (sliding) surfaces inside the rest also...makes for less drag on the adjustment knob.

Another thing to do is to lock the Mariner's Wheel when you adjust elevation and that'll take a little wiggle out of the rest also.
    Tazman, another member here explained to me that .005" wiggle in the muzzle of a 24" barrel translates into a 'miss distance' of 3/8'ths" at just 50 yards...
    so, the more steady and rock solid your setup means tighter groups too.

I guess we have discussed just about everything there is to consider with .22lr and precision shooting on a couple threads I started some time back, back when I was the 'Neophyte' to the rimfire game...here they are...they're filled with some great information by some of the most knowledgeable shooters on CB's site...

"New to Using a Peep & Globe @ 50 Yards"
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BE-at-50-yards

New to using a 'F-CLASS BR' at 50 yards...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...BR-at-50-yards

Then later on I finally built me a 100 yard range and the fun really started!

New with a 'F-CLASS .22 BR' at 100 yards...

TUNING a .22lr BR at 100 yards...

I never thought much of the 'Lowly .22lr' & only used it for training my kids back in the 70's...never gave it much respect but after the cost & non-availability of primers & powder in the last 5 years, I started playing with the .22lr rimfire so I could shoot more. I wish now I had gone to the .22 decades ago!

Good luck, I hope you will continue videos of your progress...I subbed your channel.

charlie
    That k you for all the information! I've actually been filling your posts on and off for a little bit ! Man I wish we where neighbors!
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    That k you for all the information! I've actually been filling your posts on and off for a little bit ! Man I wish we where neighbors!
    Yup...it's a lot of fun shooting with a Buddy or two, I love the gamesmanship that develops & everyone contributes little 'tips & tricks' and most important, they share their 'perspective'...'the way they understand something or other'...like 'shooting in the wind & compensation'.
    There's lots of wind diagrams on what to expect from a certain velocity and angle...

but each range responds differently to the wind because of trees & buildings nearby in the path of the wind & that's where it will get confusing.

Keep us posted as you dial your gear in.

Boolit Mold
    Nice video !
    That looked like a lot of fun......

Boolit Master
    If you don't use a full out BR setup, then consistent contact with the rifle is VERY important. Practice is the solution. The increased barrel time of the bullet points up the inconsistencies.

We have a 22 LR rimfire egg shoot at two of the gun clubs I belong to.

Rules are simple:

Eggs at 100 yards, end pointing towards bench. Black background. 5 minutes for as many sighters as you can shoot. 10 rounds on bench, 10 minutes, 10 eggs.

Eggs are resting on drywall screws with rubber band to secure them.

It's not unusual to have a shoot off because or a couple of clean shooters. Either another 10 eggs or 3/4" paint balls. Paint balls are tough.

And the eggs Thawack! quite nicely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221001_141850_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	309995

Only other important rule is competitors bring 1 dozen large eggs. Eggs are pooled so bringing jumbo eggs may very well help someone else.

Hopefully egg prices will be down by the time shooting season starts again.

And covering the backstop with visqueen is kind of important.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post

Rules are simple:

Eggs at 100 yards, end pointing towards bench. Black background. 5 minutes for as many sighters as you can shoot. 10 rounds on bench, 10 minutes, 10 eggs.

It's not unusual to have a shoot off because or a couple of clean shooters. Either another 10 eggs or 3/4" paint balls. Paint balls are tough.

Only other important rule is competitors bring 1 dozen large eggs. Eggs are pooled so bringing jumbo eggs may very well help someone else.

Eggs are getting crazy expensive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post

Rules are simple:

My first thought was...."What a mess!!!"

And at $$$/dozen not cheap anymore

Might want to try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Necco-Wafers-...62&sr=8-4&th=1

35 wafers per roll so comes out to $.05/target. No clean up. The ants, flies, and yellow jackets should get that done.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast