WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Leapers Scopes...

Boolit Master

Leapers Scopes...

any good?

Rich

Boolit Master

You get what you pay for. They are as good as most of the other scopes in their price range.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

No good at all on my gas piston air rifle.

A friend bought 3 of their "target scopes" against my advice to buy 1 GOOD scope. They all self-destructed within a year due to the
    vicious recoil of the .223 AR15. Reticles collapsed in a heap in the bottom of the scope. He tried to get them fixed under warranty
    but they said "They look like they've had a hard life, so nope."

He said, "What do I do now?" I said "I'll pay you $10 for one to use as a training aid."
    "Training aid?"

"Yep, I'm going to put the objective bell in a vise, squash it flat, then pound it into the ground with a hammer.
    Pull it out with dirt adhering to it, and use it to illustrate that cheap crap scopes are best used as tent pegs."

He bought a Leupold target scope and has been happy ever since, although the over $300 he wasted on the original 3
    Leapers has to be a little painful.
    But by all means, do try one and keep us posted on your results!
    John
    Last edited by John F.; 01-30-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Vendor Sponsor

I got Leapers UTG 3-12x44 AO on two of my PCP airguns for 5 years now and had absolutely zero issues with either of them. This model is one of the more expensive ones b/c it has an etched glass reticle so I guess you do get what you pay for.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-31-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    any good?

Rich
    I got a "package deal" from Pyramid on an air rifle which came with a Leapers 'scope on it. I paid the few extra bucks for THEIR mounting/sighting. The unit came and I went off to the range and shot away! All worked fine -- zero problems -- but, having to go one better I swapped to a "better" 'scope. Perhaps a tad more pleasing to the eye, there was zero improvement in grouping. "Funny" to see this post, as one of my (many ) "to-do" projects on my list for Spring shooting season is to put the Leapers 'scope back on it. One "plus" I will add is my Leapers has an illuminated reticle which is of little use during bright daylight shooting at range or in field -- but appears to make quite the difference both during early-morn/evening shooting outdoors as well as pretty much all the time when shooting indoors. This feature is the #1 reason for my desire to put it back on.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I've often believed that IF the Chinese could get their quality control issues ironed out they'd bankrupt nearly every other manufacturer. You name it, they'll make it........but getting a good one is a lottery draw for sure.
    On a whim I picked up one of the BEC 3-9 variables well over ten years ago that now sits atop my Browning A bolt .243. Only thing available to me at the time......thing holds zero, tracks, doesn't fog and is visually clean and clear to the edges................now for fifty bucks what more could I ask?

Boolit Buddy

I have an older leapers (before UTG) 3-9x50. It mounted on a Bushmaster Varminter AR in 223. Its has held zero since the day it was mounted. Now this gun only see around 100 rounds a year between groundhog, crow, and coyote hunting with the occasional plinking.

I have a Leapers 6x24 (I believe) on a .308 that has held up for over 10 years now. This isn't an endorsement. YMMV

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If they were giving them away at my local gun shop I would pass.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post

FWIW, airguns cannot be used with conventional rifle scopes, as their recoil is in reverse that of firearms - which usually destroys the reticle.

Some companies make/sell airgun-specific scopes for those guns.

( Google: "air gun rifle scopes for sale" )
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    The most high dollar scope may not be on there!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I got Leapers UTG 3-12x44 AO on two of my PCP airguns for 5 years now and had absolutely zero issues with either of them. This model is one of the more expensive ones b/c it has an etched glass reticle so I guess you do get what you pay for.
    I have one similar on my 50 bmg. 8-32x56 Swat holds fine yet! Probally around 350 rds on it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The most high dollar scope may not be on there!
    I went with a Hawke Air Max 3x9 scope which has the reticle etched in glass. After about 6000 shots it's holding up just fine.

Boolit Man
    I have Leapers (actually UTG) etched glass scopes on a few of my air rifles. I bought one of them from an amazon warehouse deal during COVID and was dissatisfied with a little blurring around the edges. I sent UTG emails three or four times and got zero response. Nada. A little while later I had a Hawke Vantage scope that died on a magnum springer...fair enough since they aren't rated for that kind of abuse. I contacted Hawke with full disclosure and they fixed it anyway, no questions asked. So when I need another scope in that quality and price range, it will definitely be Hawke over UTG.

As for PCPs, even inexpensive scopes can survive on PCPs, they just don't have the reliable tracking, and sometimes lens quality of some you spend a little more for. But springers, especially magnum springers hitting 20+fpe will test a scope to its core and make inexpensive scopes beg for mercy.