RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Beginning with 20ga buck shot.

Beginning with 20ga buck shot.

Howdy folks.
    I'm getting my components together to load up some 2.75" 20ga buckshot. I have a lot of questions, but let's start with two.
    What's your favorite wad, and how do stack you column for length?
    What size buck do you use?
    I'm leaning to #3 or 4. These seem the most common. Where I hunt, #3 is the biggest shot I can use. I think I would prefer #3 just because it's bigger, but #4 is so close does it really matter if one stacks better than the other? My use for this is deer and yotes down in the swamp, and 2 legged vermin if the need should arise.
    Thanks,
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I load 18 pellets of #4 buck in Federal hulls with paper basewad,using Rem SP 20 wads and Herco.Primer is Fed 209A
    Manual states 1,275 fps- 11,000 psi
    If you have Bluedot you can get 20 pellets of #3 buck in a Win compression formed hull with Win 209.Thats with the pedals removed from a SP 20 wad 1310 fps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    I load 18 pellets of #4 buck in Federal hulls with paper basewad,using Rem SP 20 wads and Herco.Primer is Fed 209A
    Manual states 1,275 fps- 11,000 psi
    If you have Bluedot you can get 20 pellets of #3 buck in a Win compression formed hull with Win 209.Thats with the pedals removed from a SP 20 wad 1310 fps
    I have loaded both with and without with #4 Buck. I got MUCH better patterns with using a wad at 40 yards than without. In this situation, Less Is More.

Boolit Master
    Inload something similar to Jim's load of 18 #4s. Possibly at a little les velocity. I got my girlfriend a Remington "tactical" 870 20 gauge a few years ago and the only buckshot i could find was the rather pricy Federal "personal Defense" 2&3/4" that used #4 buck. I use a Lee mold to make water dropped #4, and it patterns very well. If I were deer hunting with 20 gauge buck, I might go to 3 inch and up the pellet size.

Boolit Grand Master

Where do you hunt that 3 buck is the biggest size you can use? I've seen regulations where BB or T was the biggest you could use for coyote, but I've never seen anything for deer. The only thing close to me is Wyoming which has a minimum shot size, not a maximum. 3 buck is a standard for 20 gauge, but that would be a really odd choice for a regulation. 4 buck would at least kind of make sense being as it is commonly used for coyotes in 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Where do you hunt that 3 buck is the biggest size you can use? I've seen regulations where BB or T was the biggest you could use for coyote, but I've never seen anything for deer. The only thing close to me is Wyoming which has a minimum shot size, not a maximum. 3 buck is a standard for 20 gauge, but that would be a really odd choice for a regulation. 4 buck would at least kind of make sense being as it is commonly used for coyotes in 12 gauge.
    The #3 max rule is in the Mi. small game manual and it pertains to hunting yotes. There is no ruling on shot size for deer. I'm beginning to think my rambling first post is somewhat confusing. This is my first run at loading shot shells of any type. What I meant to ask, is what is your prefered wad for loading #3 or 4 buck in the 20ga.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

I think you may be mistaken. I've checked both the website and regulation book. The only regulation I see is that for night hunting a rifle or handgun must be .269" bullet or smaller. It is unclear if shotguns are legal or not, but it would be pretty stupid not to allow shotguns for night hunting. No restrictions on shot size or slugs, except for a couple weeks during the firearms deer season when only "birdshot" is allowed.

Boolit Grand Master

I wish I could better answer your question. 1 buck is the only size I've tried in 20 gauge.

I wish I could better answer your question. 1 buck is the only size I've tried in 20 gauge.
    That's OK. I value your input. Loading 20ga. buck seems like dark magic when I go looking for data. I bought the BPI coyote manual. Very disappointed as there is very few 20ga loads listed. I also have the Alliant shotgun manual. That got me going, but I'm still not loading exactly as listed, which all advice given says not to do.
    You got me guessing myself on the hunting regs, so I looked again. I'm right. There are exceptions listed for hunting in our restricted rifle zone, which is where I live. No hunting at night with any center fire rifle on state lands in the restricted zone at night. I can use any rifle I want in the day time, just not for deer. The shotgun buck shot size restriction is listed in the fur bearers digest under the hunting at night section on page 27. Gotta be a dern lawyer to pick your way through all this jargon. After absorbing all that, I just decided the best thing to do was develop a good #3 or 4 buck load. That way, I can hunt anytime, anywhere I want and be legal. Kind of a one load does it all for me.
    So, after all that blather, what's your favorite wad for buck? Do you use a gas seal or nitro card under the wad?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

I liked the Federal 20S1, which is discontinued now. I never used a gas seal under a wad with buckshot. I do often load buckshot using only a gas seal and spacers. Ballistic Products is pathetic with load data today. It started about 15 years ago, and they have been downhill since then. Here are some general trends I find with buckshot. The harder the shot, the better. If you cast them, drop from the mold into water. If you buy your shot, then it is worth while to heat treat them in a small oven. You will also want to use buffered loads. You can't add buffer to load data that wasn't developed with it. You can use lead shot data with an equal weight of buckshot. I'll have a look in my Advanced Lead and Bismuth loading manual later. I recall some good loads in there. My own favorite load was in a 3" Federal if you are interested in that.

Boolit Grand Master

Ok here is a decent looking load that should work well from Advanced lead and bismuth.

2 3/4" 20ga Remington or any 2 piece hull
    Cheddite 209 or Winchester 209
    18.5 gr Longshot
    TUWGS20 + Rem SP20
    1 oz lead shot
    PSB buffer
    Fold crimp

1200 fps
    11,800 ps

My suggestion is to find some Federal top gun hulls. Most ranges have them free in the garbage. The new style is a plastic basewad. The paper basewad version may be a tight fit. Primed Cheddite hulls would be fine too. I also suggest leaving that TUWGS20 out. It's nothing but a spacer which buckshot is more bulky. You may want to buy 28ga 1/8" felt wadds just in case you need a tiny spacer. You will also probably want to use an overshot card to contain buffer. It's not mandatory, but it helps crimps. Alternatively, a drop of nail polish in the center of the crimp hold in buffer.

You will need to weigh your shot, but 1oz of 4 buck should be 20 pellets. They should stack in 4's, 5 layers. 3 buck is about 18 per ounce. They should stack in 3's, 6 layers.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-20-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Ok here is a decent looking load that should work well from Advanced lead and bismuth.

2 3/4" 20ga Remington or any 2 piece hull
    Cheddite 209 or Winchester 209
    18.5 gr Longshot
    TUWGS20 + Rem SP20
    1 oz lead shot
    PSB buffer
    Fold crimp

1200 fps
    11,800 ps

My suggestion is to find some Federal top gun hulls. Most ranges have them free in the garage. The new style is a plastic basewad. The paper basewad version may be a tight fit. Primed Cheddite hulls would be fine too. I also suggest leaving that TUWGS20 out. It's nothing but a spacer which buckshot is more bulky. You may want to buy 28ga 1/8" felt wadds just in case you need a tiny spacer. You will also probably want to use an overshot card to contain buffer. It's not mandatory, but it helps crimps. Alternatively, a drop of nail polish in the center of the crimp hold in buffer.

You will need to weigh your shot, but 1oz of 4 buck should be 20 pellets. They should stack in 4's, 5 layers. 3 buck is about 18 per ounce. They should stack in 3's, 6 layers.
    Thanks!, I'll make a note of this data in my book. I have 2lbs of Longshot but I haven't loaded with it yet. I have 28ga wads, gas seals, and 10mm nitro wads for spacers. I used them for my round ball loads, which worked well for me on my first outing. Loaded 5 rounds the Ajay way in a Trap Commander over 16.5 grs BR-5. I put 4 rounds into a 3" raggety hole with the 5th flier about 2" high and right a 25yds. using a Carelsons rifled choke. I was pretty happy with that so I loaded 5 more but haven't been back to the range. I put an order in to BPI for some wads and #4 buck today. When that stuff comes in I'll be back at the bench.
    I was reading year old posts today and read a post of yours about crashing your dirt bike and injuring your shoulder. I hope you're doing better. I did the same thing. KDX200 bit me. Complete separation. It was grizzly. 9 months physical therapy, and several years of nagging pain afterward. That was over ten years ago. I've slowed way down. Current bike is a DRZ400, and I just putz the forest service roads now with a bunch of olde phast guys. My drinking club has a racing problem....
    https://www.gldsmc.com
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

I'm doing way better. Mine was a grade 5 separation, 6 being completely gone. The worst was the 8 weeks in a sling, 2 before surgery, 6 after. After getting rid of that in late July it was quick progression. I was even out there pulling a sled baiting bear mid August. I had PT for about 2 months total until early September. By duck opener I was doing fine. I've been lifting weights now since the end of October. I am still avoiding heavy shoulder weights, but I'm having no difficulty with 60lb dumbell benchpress. I have not done a normal benchpress yet. No pain or limit of movement, if anything I'm more flexible than last year now, and not just in the shoulders. My GasGas EC300 is ready for the 2023 season except I might need lighter springs since I've lost so much weight. Maybe I'll put some back on in the weight room yet. Either way Ill be on that as soon as the snow melts. I'll be racing again district 23 enduro.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-20-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    I load 20 #4buck in estate hulls and a winAA wad. 20 #4 with my alloy weighs 385 grs/7/8 oz. I just picked a 7/8 oz load and loaded a bunch. I shot a few to see how they worked but didn't pattern them. Anyway, they work fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I load 20 #4buck in estate hulls and a winAA wad. 20 #4 with my alloy weighs 385 grs/7/8 oz. I just picked a 7/8 oz load and loaded a bunch. I shot a few to see how they worked but didn't pattern them. Anyway, they work fine.
    I have never found any Estate 20g loaded or empty hulls around SW Pa. Lots of 12g at Sportsman Warehouse
    They also have paper basewad right?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    I have never found any Estate 20g loaded or empty hulls around SW Pa. Lots of 12g at Sportsman Warehouse
    They also have paper basewad right?
    They are Federal hulls, made in the same. Plant. The Federal and Estate plants are across the street from each other, both owned by Federal.

Boolit Master

"My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Thanks for all the replies folks. My order from BPI came in today. I got 11lbs #4 buck, a bag of Waa20's, and a bag of TPS20's unslit. I have everything else I need to start working up some loads. I'm off to the races.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Two loads for the 20 bore that may work well for your purposes.

Load#10835 3" 20 gauge 27 x #4-Buck lead

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load07242020.htm

Load 150227-6317 2.75" #4 Lead Buck 24 pellets

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load15_03_13.htm